PDA

View Full Version : The right router for me

OrangeBattery
10-10-2004, 13:40
I have been having real problems trying to share an internet connection between
my 2 computers. I have been using a crossover cable and 2 ethernet cards and everything is fine until I switch my pc off, once turned back on the connection between the two computers has gone and i have to re set it all up.

All I wanted to do was share my broadband connection, which is currently connected to my pc via ambit usb cable modem with my dads pc.

With so many problems I need an easier way to do this, I would like to be able to use a router and connect both pc's to that so one does not have to be on for the other to use the net. Usually I buy a product then find out its not suitable for my setup or something so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I would need to buy, and how I connect the computers to the router. Money is tight, I have been looking on www.ebuyer.co.uk as I have an account with them, is there anything on there that would be suitable for my connection?

Thanks to anyone who can help, this has been driving me mad for the last month and my dads been without the internet for ages now

Halcyon
10-10-2004, 14:30
Well if your computers are near each other and you dont need a wireless set up you can indeed save money and get a router quite cheaply.
A Linksys wired router can be picked up for about £30-40.

You mentioned you had ethernet cards in both machines.

All you have to do is hook up a lead from each PC's ethernet cards into the router and then plug in your cable modem into your router using an ethernet cable, and not USB.

Then its a simple process of setting up and your away.

Check this one here: Linksys Wired Router (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=2285071390&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=54774)

desbrad
10-10-2004, 16:50
i have a belkin 4 port router dead easy to set up and no problems as far as the router is concerned

Rone
11-10-2004, 15:14
I bought a D-Link, cheap at under £30, and it works!!
4 port, and a doddle to set up, and the major benefit of hardware firewall too.