PDA

View Full Version : Registration help and installation advice

Trinity123
10-10-2004, 01:28
This is complicated. NTL came 3 weeks ago to fit broadband to my sisters house,the engineer said that because cable box was in the front room and pc was in a room upstairs they could not fit or wire cable for BB.
Only option was to install wireless option. NTL sold an actiontec unit with usb and I have been trying to get it to work for days now. What complicates matters is the registration pages being down,so I tried to register using the advice on postings on the forum..without the cd. After numerous attempts I managed to get onto reg page and all details were accepted...I think !
An email addy and password was accepted,and I though 2 weeks of hell was over.
After registration,I now cannot get access to explorer,(server not found)and have checked on my own pc at home the name and password...and no details come up....so I don't really know if it has actually registered. No one available at NTL and calls for registration results in answerphone messages.

I have noticed that the signal from the actiontec router various from good to low,and bounces up and down,so poss not enough signal ?

Can anyone help and suggest anything else I can check.

Any advice to NTL's policy of fitting BB in the first place,the wiring is not too complicated but involves running cable outside and up...but they dont want to know.

Getting ip addy ok using ipconfig and the router seems to be ok,apart from the signal strenghth

Getting rather desperate

carlingman
10-10-2004, 02:23
This is complicated. NTL came 3 weeks ago to fit broadband to my sisters house,the engineer said that because cable box was in the front room and pc was in a room upstairs they could not fit or wire cable for BB.
Only option was to install wireless option. NTL sold an actiontec unit with usb and I have been trying to get it to work for days now. What complicates matters is the registration pages being down,so I tried to register using the advice on postings on the forum..without the cd. After numerous attempts I managed to get onto reg page and all details were accepted...I think !
An email addy and password was accepted,and I though 2 weeks of hell was over.
After registration,I now cannot get access to explorer,(server not found)and have checked on my own pc at home the name and password...and no details come up....so I don't really know if it has actually registered. No one available at NTL and calls for registration results in answerphone messages.

I have noticed that the signal from the actiontec router various from good to low,and bounces up and down,so poss not enough signal ?

Can anyone help and suggest anything else I can check.

Any advice to NTL's policy of fitting BB in the first place,the wiring is not too complicated but involves running cable outside and up...but they dont want to know.

Getting ip addy ok using ipconfig and the router seems to be ok,apart from the signal strenghth

Getting rather desperate

Hi Trinity,

Firstly the first part of your post smells very much like bullsh1t from the NTL engineer as i have yet never heard of them not being able to wire this for broadband.

If the set top box is in the front room then they would just send a hit to the box ??? From there you can run an ethernet cable with adaptor if needed to the PC.

It however it was a stand alone cable modem then again i have not heard about any problems of fitting it where you want it.

Im guessing here they have sold you and your sister a wireless option for the sake of it :mad:

In either case if they said the wiring and routing was too complicated then the best option would have been to let them fit it where it is etc and the get a length of RJ45 and run it too where you want it rather than them use bully tactics into forcing you/her to buy from them a wireless option.

Myself am no expert on routers so cant help much there sorry.

However what IP address are you getting, dont post the full IP just the first two digits and the last three digits.

Hopefully someone is clued up on routers will stop by soon and offer some further advice.

:D

Trinity123
10-10-2004, 11:44
Thanks for reply

The engineer (one of them) turned up to install BB,sister alrady has NTL telephone and tv services. The entry point for this is downstairs,the pc is upstairs,and the engineer said that he was not allowed to wire round the outside of the building for health a safety reasons and the installation could not be done this way,wireing was too long etc. The only option given was wireless. The problem now is that the actiontec router is not picking up a strong enough signal. It is a cable stand alone box,connected via ethernet cable to actiontec router,both downstairs,going to a usb receiver upstairs.

I dont know if it is working correctly,as the registration system for ntl is still down ...since 14th sept. On the pc the router is visable,and the signal strenghth meter on the taskbar,shows low,the link shows weak,but on occassions it turns to good. It was during one of the good spells I managed to use the direct registration,but now cannot access IE. So I cannot tell if it has actually registered.

hairy_mick
10-10-2004, 12:29
go into ie address bar type 192.168.0.1 this brings up actiontec router menu you can check ip from there the lasr 3 should be lower than 248.

hairy_mick
10-10-2004, 12:37
i have set up these for many ntl customers and they can be a pain if you have a poor signal try moving aerial on box is the task bar indcater red or yellow ideal should be green.

MikeyB
10-10-2004, 15:25
<snip>
The engineer (one of them) turned up to install BB,sister alrady has NTL telephone and tv services. The entry point for this is downstairs,the pc is upstairs,and the engineer said that he was not allowed to wire round the outside of the building for health a safety reasons and the installation could not be done this way,wireing was too long etc.

Now this I do not believe.
The entry point for my NTL services is downstairs, at the front of the house, when I had TV, the cable comes in behind the TV.

My computer is upstairs at the back of the house. When I had my BB installed last year, the engineer ran cable round the outside of the house, up the wall, and drilled thru as near to the PC as he could, all done very quick & tidy.

I smell contractors out to earn some extra cash.