PDA

View Full Version : Window Covering

bbwannabe
08-10-2004, 20:16
My brother was asking me what this is and where he could get it from.

Its like a thin film of plastic that you put over the windows, it reduces light coming in but blocks out people looking in from outside. He's looking to tint the windows so anything else as an alternative is helpful, thanks.

Caspar
08-10-2004, 20:18
Is this for a car or house?

bbwannabe
08-10-2004, 20:21
house

daxx
08-10-2004, 21:08
same stuff for cars should work on 'window' glass

Caspar
08-10-2004, 22:02
what about sizes tho....

Silent Wings
08-10-2004, 22:10
any help ?

http://www.sureguard.co.uk/Window%20Films/index_window_films.htm

bbwannabe
08-10-2004, 22:30
Thanks for the help especially the link. Is it easy to install do you know?

Reason for the covering is because we have some ASBOs who look through our windows regularly and its not something you want people doing on your property.

bopdude
08-10-2004, 22:34
Thanks for the help especially the link. Is it easy to install do you know?

Reason for the covering is because we have some ASBOs who look through our windows regularly and its not something you want people doing on your property.
I used to fit it in my old job, sungaurd was our brand and its a right royal pain in the a**e, if you are gonna try and fit it yourself let us know and i'll tell you as best i can how to go on. Its a 2 man job BTW.

bbwannabe
08-10-2004, 22:36
ahh, so not a cut to shape and slap job then. Seems to be quite a lot of film types, so not really sure which is ideal.

gary_580
08-10-2004, 22:55
Bubbles Bubbles Bubbles

bopdude
09-10-2004, 01:02
ahh, so not a cut to shape and slap job then. Seems to be quite a lot of film types, so not really sure which is ideal.
Nope not as easy as that, very very very easy to crease, and if you do, well start again :(

Bubbles Bubbles Bubbles
Yep, thats the nightmare, the solution ( in more ways than one ) is washing-up liquid in water in a spray bottle, soak the window, then as your peeling the backing of the vinyl soak the back of the vinyl. This helps you move it around on the window without it sticking fast, make sure you cut it over-size, next with a decent squeegie you gotta work all the excess water and bubbles out, starting at the top and work it down, when you think you got them all take a lookfrom the outside :Yikes: ge the picture, once your happy you've got to trim to size, depending on the window finish, if as you say its at home, i assume its double glazed, makes it a bit easier, take a staright edge and butt it against the internal beading now put your stanley blade between the beading and the straight edge and with pressure on the straight edge run down the line with the stanley to ' cut it in '

Sounds easy, give it a whirl :p:

Graham
09-10-2004, 01:06

Err, is there any reason why you can't use net curtains? :confused:

Nidge
09-10-2004, 09:30
My brother was asking me what this is and where he could get it from.

Its like a thin film of plastic that you put over the windows, it reduces light coming in but blocks out people looking in from outside. He's looking to tint the windows so anything else as an alternative is helpful, thanks.

B&Q mate I got some last year, make sure you have a straight edge to get right into the seal of your window.

paulyoung666
09-10-2004, 09:53
if you are feeling really brave and it is double glazing then you could take the units out to get a perfect finish :tu:

bbwannabe
09-10-2004, 10:43
Err, is there any reason why you can't use net curtains? :confused:

why? cos its a shop too. So basically there climbing onto the window and peering through the top section of the windows (they're about 2-2.5m in height and 2+ m across. But only the top windows and a bit below is exposed to praying eyes.

bbwannabe
09-10-2004, 10:45
Nope not as easy as that, very very very easy to crease, and if you do, well start again :(

Yep, thats the nightmare, the solution ( in more ways than one ) is washing-up liquid in water in a spray bottle, soak the window, then as your peeling the backing of the vinyl soak the back of the vinyl. This helps you move it around on the window without it sticking fast, make sure you cut it over-size, next with a decent squeegie you gotta work all the excess water and bubbles out, starting at the top and work it down, when you think you got them all take a lookfrom the outside :Yikes: ge the picture, once your happy you've got to trim to size, depending on the window finish, if as you say its at home, i assume its double glazed, makes it a bit easier, take a staright edge and butt it against the internal beading now put your stanley blade between the beading and the straight edge and with pressure on the straight edge run down the line with the stanley to ' cut it in '

Sounds easy, give it a whirl :p:

Even with creases or bubbles will it hinder its function? Is the plastic film easy to remove afterwards or is it permanently stuck?

bbwannabe
09-10-2004, 10:47
if you are feeling really brave and it is double glazing then you could take the units out to get a perfect finish :tu:

NO i aint lol :) my dad will KILL ME. I could do the the cheaper solution and put up a sign to "F*** Off", of course i wonder if this is some kinda verbal assault and arrestable.. wouldnt be suprised if it was.

bopdude
09-10-2004, 23:32
Even with creases or bubbles will it hinder its function? Is the plastic film easy to remove afterwards or is it permanently stuck?
Sorry for the late reply, no is the answer. It won't hinder in any way, it'll just look :erm: crap :shrug: depending on how bad it looks, bubbles you will work out, but if you crease it, well, depending on how bad it is, it might look like a panama canal type thing.

If it goes wrong then taking it off staright away is easy, after a while it gets harder but not impossible.

Forgot to mention, if you do it yourself, get a ' stanley ' style blade scrapper and do the window before hand, with a bit of soap / water :tu:

HTH

Graham
10-10-2004, 13:38
why? cos its a shop too.

Ah, you didn't mention that at first :)

Matth
10-10-2004, 21:11
If you're not bothered about seeing out, you could try painting it with greenhouse shading stuff - the sort you can wash off.

bbwannabe
24-11-2004, 02:23
Ok bit late for the response on this. Brother got some film and set it up today (the privacy film) due to some feckin secondary school kids thinking its funny peeking.
Yeah it was a pain in the ass to get it done, the smaller the window the easier, ended up getting creased and had to do it multiple times to get it right as most of the the film folded up and stuck to itself... Argh! chaos.

Anyway thanks for the installation help, the link to the site, and all the replies, just one more question. Any recommendations of where I can find the film cheaper. £16 a metre is pretty dear and I might get some heat reduction film for the summer (long wayy away i know).

Thanks.