PDA

View Full Version : The what's for dinner thread

Pages : [1] 2

bopdude
07-10-2004, 22:49
It just dawned on me that nobody has mentioned what they're cooking / cooked for dinner, tea, call it what you want ???

So here goes, Tonight I cooked 2 meals ( kids :shrug: )

1 ) Pasta with cajun chicken in a hot and sour sauce

2 ) Rice with garlic chicken in a garlic and mustard sauce

Now, I cooked for 4 peeps ( just enough ) when the g/f's youngest decided she was coming over :mad:

What did I end up with ?????????? Ox tail :erm: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: not everyones cup of tea but to me, mothers milk ;)

So, what did you have / make tonight ?????

Chimaera
07-10-2004, 22:50
I did a buffet sort of thing for all the family coming over (except for the youngest who is at uni :cry: )
And chocolate birthday cake! :drool:

bopdude
07-10-2004, 22:53
I did a buffet sort of thing for all the family coming over (except for the youngest who is at uni :cry: )
And chocolate birthday cake! :drool:
Oh yeah, birthday cake, was that cake or cakes ( for all the candles )

:p: :Sprint:

Happy b/day Chim :)

paulyoung666
07-10-2004, 22:54
it was something from morries , spicy chicken and fries

and for me it was a garlic cheese bread :drool:

Chimaera
07-10-2004, 22:56
Oh yeah, birthday cake, was that cake or cakes ( for all the candles )

:p: :Sprint:

Happy b/day Chim :)
Thanks Bop - one cake and no candles - at my age with that many, the icing would melt! :Yikes:

danielf
07-10-2004, 22:57
Hash browns, salad, and steak cooked to perfection. Bloody that is :)

bopdude
07-10-2004, 23:01
steak cooked to perfection. Bloody that is :)
I'm one of the fortunate ones, I can eat my steak all ways and enjoy it, at the mo i'm leaning towards medium well

MadGamer
07-10-2004, 23:09
I had my Grandad over tonight so: me, my brother and our grandad had steak & kidney pie with mash and green beans while my mum & dad had chicken with rice. For dessart we had mince pies with custard.

homealone
07-10-2004, 23:10
I'm one of the fortunate ones, I can eat my steak all ways and enjoy it, at the mo i'm leaning towards medium well

it has to be at least, warm, so a 'nearly raw' steak has to be small & tender?

but, yes, medium well, especially when that means the inside is still 'pink', while the outside is 'slightly charred' - :drool:

bopdude
07-10-2004, 23:12
I had my Grandad over tonight so: me, my brother and our grandad had steak & kidney pie with mash .
Pie an' mash.... :D nout wrong :tu:

Marge
07-10-2004, 23:14
Been to Blackpool for the day with friend from work so cooked sod all, we went in Yates's for rump steak with all the trimmings :drool:

now feeling a bit peckish so stuck some hash browns in with loads of salt on

bopdude
07-10-2004, 23:18

but, yes, medium well, especially when that means the inside is still 'pink', while the outside is 'slightly charred' - :drool:
I was shown a way to cook a steak on a braai ( bar b que ) that i've not been able to reproduce. The method is simple enough, but it must just be experience / timing, produces a rare steak, but well cooked on the outside

It goes like this, get your bbq well lit, make an oil based marinade and soak the steak, when the flames of the bbq are well above the grill slap the steak on, leave for 30 seconds, soak in marinade again and slap on, other side of course. Sounds easy ( flame grilled steak ) try it and see.

I loved it, just can't get it right :(

danielf
07-10-2004, 23:28

Warm is nice yes :), but I like the inside to be red rather than pink. Unfortunately, in this country it's virtually impossible to get that in a restaurant. I order rare, and 9/10 times it's not even pink :(

bopdude
07-10-2004, 23:32
Warm is nice yes :), but I like the inside to be red rather than pink. Unfortunately, in this country it's virtually impossible to get that in a restaurant. I order rare, and 9/10 times it's not even pink :(
If / when eating out I always like my steak plate warm/hot, there's nothing worse IMO than getting half way through a rare steak, only for it to go cold :mad:

homealone
07-10-2004, 23:34
I was shown a way to cook a steak on a braai ( bar b que ) that i've not been able to reproduce. The method is simple enough, but it must just be experience / timing, produces a rare steak, but well cooked on the outside

It goes like this, get your bbq well lit, make an oil based marinade and soak the steak, when the flames of the bbq are well above the grill slap the steak on, leave for 30 seconds, soak in marinade again and slap on, other side of course. Sounds easy ( flame grilled steak ) try it and see.

I loved it, just can't get it right :(

30 seconds each side sounds a bit too raw, but otherwise I'm drooling :)

Halcyon
07-10-2004, 23:38
For lunch I made something quick. A chopped in half croissant filled with cherry tomatoes, cucumber, a slice of ham, and a slice of cheese.

Tea.... Chinese style pasta with chopped up pieces of chicken and mixed vegetables stir-fry style.

danielf
07-10-2004, 23:39
If / when eating out I always like my steak plate warm/hot, there's nothing worse IMO than getting half way through a rare steak, only for it to go cold :mad:

A warm plate is a good idea, but what really bugs me, is when you know it's a good steak, but it could have tasted so much better if it had not been cooked to death (even though you ordered rare).

Halcyon
07-10-2004, 23:42
An over cooked steak is like trying to eat a piece of plastic.
Un-eatable !!!

(On a similar note, we won a barbecue today so will be doing some nice grilled food at the weekend I think)

iadom
07-10-2004, 23:46
I do cook most of the meals and on tonights menu it was.

Fresh Salmon ( great fish stall on our local market)
cooked in white wine with Dill.
Potatoes au gratin
Brocolli
Carrots with Tarragon
Hollandaise sauce.
Washed down with a White Zinfandel ( lovely fruity rose) and an Aussie Merlot.

And I did the washing up afterwards. :angel:

bopdude
07-10-2004, 23:46
30 seconds each side sounds a bit too raw, but otherwise I'm drooling :)You would think so, but the results ....................:drool: of course, depends on the thickness of the steak, as you well know :tu:

iadom
07-10-2004, 23:47
You would think so, but the results ....................:drool: of course, depends on the thickness of the steak, as you well know :tu:
As the actress said to the bishop.;)

Marge
07-10-2004, 23:50
I do cook most of the meals and on tonights menu it was.

Fresh Salmon ( great fish stall on our local market)
cooked in white wine with Dill.
Potatoes au gratin
Brocolli
Carrots with Tarragon
Hollandaise sauce.
Washed down with a White Zinfandel ( lovely fruity rose) and an Aussie Merlot.

And I did the washing up afterwards. :angel:

ohhhhh sounds lovely and I know my way to Shaw ;)

bopdude
07-10-2004, 23:50
As the actress said to the bishop.;):rolleyes: sigh, it always boils down to this on here :p: how did you turn dinner around to sex ????? :D

EDIT : never mind, its the question all lads want the answer to :D

danielf
07-10-2004, 23:54
:rolleyes: sigh, it always boils down to this on here :p: how did you turn dinner around to sex ????? :D

IMO the best way of turning anything into sex is cooking the lady a nice dinner ;)

Is that my coat?

Edit: and I wrote that before your edit :)

bopdude
07-10-2004, 23:55
IMO the best way of turning anything into sex is cooking the lady a nice dinner ;)

Is that my coat?

Edit: and I wrote that before your edit :)
Ahh, great minds :tu:

bopdude
20-10-2004, 18:14
Well it must be me cooking for England ( again ) tonights speacial is

Strips of spicy beef with mushrooms, peppers, and spring onions in a spicey garlic sauce with pasta twirls ( the g/f likes pasta ) :shrug:

Chimaera
20-10-2004, 18:17
More sex then, Bop? :Sprint: :D
Dunno what we are having yet, something veggie once I have collected himself from work! :PP:

homealone
20-10-2004, 18:19
In from work - starving, want something quick & easy - so it's going to be Sausages, Chips & Beans ;)

bopdude
20-10-2004, 18:20
More sex then, Bop? :Sprint: :D

Was that an offer Chim :naughty: :Sprint::p:

bopdude
20-10-2004, 18:22
In from work - starving, want something quick & easy - so it's going to be Sausages, Chips & Beans ;)
:erm: And what wine would the gentlman be having with that :shrug: :D

Chimaera
20-10-2004, 18:22
Was that an offer Chim :naughty: :Sprint::p:
Oooer!!!! :Yikes:
I'll be too busy cooking dinner! :rofl:
Actually I might take a leaf from Homer's book and have sausages chips and beans - Tesco Vegetarian Lincolnshire sausages of course! ;)

bopdude
20-10-2004, 18:25
I'll be too busy cooking dinner! :rofl:With all this talk of cooking, I just remembered my days as the naked chef :Yikes:

Live on the www :D

Paul K
20-10-2004, 18:29
I'll be too busy cooking dinner! :rofl:
Actually I might take a leaf from Homer's book and have sausages chips and beans - Tesco Vegetarian Lincolnshire sausages of course! ;)
Erm chips were last night ;) No doubt I will think of something nice for dinner, since I cook it more often than not :p:

Chimaera
20-10-2004, 18:39
Erm chips were last night ;) No doubt I will think of something nice for dinner, since I cook it more often than not :p:
:nono: :D
Well I would have said it's more 50/50 but then I would, wouldn't I? ;)

Paul K
20-10-2004, 18:41
:nono: :D
Well I would have said it's more 50/50 but then I would, wouldn't I? ;)
That's right 50% of the time you decide on what's for dinner and 50% of the time I do ;) :p:

Shaun
20-10-2004, 18:55
Must be the night for sausages were having sausage casserole! :D

homealone
20-10-2004, 19:28
:erm: And what wine would the gentlman be having with that :shrug: :D

just finished the washing up & will now partake of a nice smooth South African Shiraz Pinotage (red of course ;) ) :D

Mr_love_monkey
20-10-2004, 19:30
Must be the night for sausages were having sausage casserole! :D
Now there's spooky....

mine's sitting in the oven now... don't think it's going to be ready when the recipe says it is though...

bopdude
20-10-2004, 19:30
just finished the washing up & will now partake of a nice smooth South African Shiraz Pinotage (red of course ;) ) :D
:idea: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: will have a look see what i have in the cellar :D :rolleyes:

gary_580
20-10-2004, 19:36
That's right 50% of the time you decide on what's for dinner and 50% of the time I do ;) :p:

Get a room!! ;)

gary_580
20-10-2004, 19:37
:idea: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: will have a look see what i have in the cellar :D :rolleyes:

hopefully its not Chim! :D

dilli-theclaw
20-10-2004, 19:38
I've just been fed plastic chips,bacon and toast ;) :D

bopdude
20-10-2004, 19:44
I've just been fed plastic chips,bacon and toast ;) :D
You've been to Mc Donalds then :rolleyes: :D :p:

Scrubbs
20-10-2004, 20:02
talkin' of sausages.....we just had toad in the hole, one veggie one not:)

gary_580
20-10-2004, 20:06
hmmmm Steak and Kidney pie washed down with a few glasses of Brouilly

Chimaera
20-10-2004, 20:08
Vegetarian toad in the hole for us (courtesy of Tesco! ;) ) and we have a whole house Gary!! :PP:

paulyoung666
20-10-2004, 20:13
how about a nice tempura battered prawn sweet and sour with rice :D :D :D

homealone
20-10-2004, 20:13
hmmmm Steak and Kidney pie washed down with a few glasses of Brouilly

lol - there is something wildy decadent about having Beaujolais with Steak & Kidney Pie - sounds great :drool:

Tricky
20-10-2004, 20:17
Beans on toast with Cheese and Brown Sauce (just had mmmmm!)

gary_580
20-10-2004, 20:28
lol - there is something wildy decadent about having Beaujolais with Steak & Kidney Pie - sounds great :drool:

You wait till the 3rd thursday of November. It'll Pie and Nouveau :D

gary_580
20-10-2004, 20:28
and we have a whole house Gary!! :PP:

uh huh, some things just best kept in a cellar :D

homealone
20-10-2004, 20:41
You wait till the 3rd thursday of November. It'll Pie and Nouveau :D

- that's not a bad idea :tu:

uh huh, some things just best kept in a cellar

- sometimes it's difficult getting the hostess trolly down the stairs ;) :D

gary_580
20-10-2004, 20:48
- that's not a bad idea :tu:

I'll be off to Waitrose that day as they normally have Nouveau from Georges Deboeuf and imho he does the best beaujolais

http://www.duboeuf.com/

Macca371
20-10-2004, 20:48
Mum's steak with fried mushrooms, swede, jacket potato and mustard sauce.

Yummy. The sugar-fried onions, on the other hand? :(

To me they smell of that horrible smell of new cheap plasticy stuff that gives you a headache, if you know what I mean!? :shrug: :D

bopdude
20-10-2004, 20:49
-
sometimes it's difficult getting the hostess trolly down the stairs ;) :D
Nearly as difficult as getting the hostess upstairs :naughty: ;)

gary_580
20-10-2004, 20:58
Nearly as difficult as getting the hostess upstairs :naughty: ;)

thats harder, gravity fighting you as well!!

Marge
20-10-2004, 21:02
Just gonna have Salmon Fishcakes with Garden Peas/Sweetcorn and New Potatoes boiled in Mint Sauce

in between trying to watch The Matrix on channel 5 :D :D

iadom
20-10-2004, 22:27
Beaujolais Nouveau...... :sick: Thats almost a Chav drink.:p:

yesman
20-10-2004, 22:42
Beaujolais Nouveau...... :sick: Thats almost a Chav drink.:p:
It all depends on the year Jim :D

iadom
21-10-2004, 18:09
Tonight's Menu.

Seafood Tagliatelle.

Diced Onions, Peppers and a small amount of Broccoli.
Fresh (live until they hit the boiling water ) Mussels.
Extra large King Scallops.
Large Prawns.
Fresh Egg Tagliatelle
Tomato & Mascarpone Sauce.

A Nottage Hill Chardonnay, a Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon & a Californian Merlot should wash that down a treat.

Have not decided what to give the others to drink yet.;)

homealone
21-10-2004, 18:24
Tonight's Menu.

Seafood Tagliatelle.

Diced Onions, Peppers and a small amount of Broccoli.
Fresh (live until they hit the boiling water ) Mussels.
Extra large King Scallops.
Large Prawns.
Fresh Egg Tagliatelle
Tomato & Mascarpone Sauce.

A Nottage Hill Chardonay, a Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon & a Californian Merlot should wash that down a treat.

Have not decided what to give the others to drink yet.;)

:drool: - well except for the Chardonnay ;)

- Spaghetti Bolognaise for us tonight, Mrs Gaz in charge :)

Shaun
21-10-2004, 18:27
Were having a quick dinner today as I want to get drunk. Just got back from my last exam of the year (well only had 2 but it was bad enough) so its scampi, chips and mushy peas :yum:

Oh and for wine, I've got a loverly Shiraz Mataro by Banrock Station :D

bopdude
21-10-2004, 18:43
Chicken and rice, don't know what sauce i'm gonna knock up yet :shrug: not really in the mood for it

Scrubbs
21-10-2004, 19:10
curry/korma one veg one chicken

homealone
21-10-2004, 20:31
Were having a quick dinner today as I want to get drunk. Just got back from my last exam of the year (well only had 2 but it was bad enough) so its scampi, chips and mushy peas :yum:

Oh and for wine, I've got a loverly Shiraz Mataro by Banrock Station :D

Good choice of wine, dellwear, a nice fruity Australian ;) - enjoy :cool:

- our spaghetti was yummy, been using wholemeal spaghetti, recently - good if you like your 'al dente' to lean on the chewy side ;)

iadom
04-11-2004, 22:31
Well its Thursday, so it is fish again, the stall on the local market never ceases to amaze me with the choice but today I played safe,

Fresh Sea Bass, cooked in the oven in foil with wine and Dill.
got to be Hollandaise sauce again with this fish.
Seasonal veg, carrots, peti pois etc.

To drink I had a very nice, crisp and ultra dry Frascati, the wife is not into vin blanc so she had an Antipodean Chiraz Reserve, nice choice, it goes really well with a mature Cheddar and a couple of pieces of Cadbury's finest.

homealone
04-11-2004, 22:56
Well its Thursday, so it is fish again, the stall on the local market never ceases to amaze me with the choice but today I played safe,

Fresh Sea Bass, cooked in the oven in foil with wine and Dill.
got to be Hollandaise sauce again with this fish.
Seasonal veg, carrots, peti pois etc.

To drink I had a very nice, crisp and ultra dry Frascati, the wife is not into vin blanc so she had an Antipodean Chiraz Reserve, nice choice, it goes really well with a mature Cheddar and a couple of pieces of Cadbury's finest.

last time we had sea bass, it was the wrapped in wet paper & baked in the oven method - bit of fennel & some dill & lemon juice, lovely :drool: - yours sounded lovely, too :drool: - but if you do it in wet paper, the skin/scales should come off, stuck to the paper, when you unwrap it :)

and watch out for the escolar - 'fake' sea bass that cause all sorts of gastric chaos :eek:

- oh, & currently asda south african red ;)

Halcyon
04-11-2004, 23:29
Salmon, potatoes, mixed vegetables and garlic muchrooms.

yesman
14-11-2004, 19:39
Bacon Sandwich, washed down with a cuppa :tu:

Marge
14-11-2004, 19:44
Sausage on toast with a cuppa :drool:

paulyoung666
14-11-2004, 19:45
Sausage on toast with a cuppa :drool:

you dont mean sausage and beans on toast do you :drool:

Marge
14-11-2004, 19:47
you dont mean sausage and beans on toast do you :drool:

no, thought about that but decided to give the beans a miss :erm:

also loads of brown sauce on the sausages ;)

iadom
14-11-2004, 20:07
All these late breakfasts, its quite funny but I have just had, bacon, sausages, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, baked beans with an oven bottom muffin and a pint pot of tea.

To tell the truth I normally do this for Sunday lunch, but we took my daughter and her boyfriend out for a meal last night to celebrate her birthday, the food was excellent and the wine flowed........and flowed...........and then the brandy ......got in very late and did not feel up to tackling my usual Sunday lunch until now.:)

Paul K
14-11-2004, 20:38
Noooo the first christmassy avatar :Yikes:
Well we just had home made vegetarian spaghetti bolognese with garlic bread pizza :) Didn't taste too bad ;)

iadom
14-11-2004, 20:49
Noooo the first christmassy avatar :Yikes:
Well we just had home made vegetarian spaghetti bolognese with garlic bread pizza :) Didn't taste too bad ;)
It was the sound of a Cuckoo that made me do it,;)

I bought a pack of Simpsons sausages yesterday and even they have got Seasons Greetings on the label.:rolleyes:

danielf
14-11-2004, 22:35
Tonight's offering was:

Salad, Grilled Lamb's chums with Gorgonzola butter, and chips (proper chips: slice potato, deep fry for 6 mins at 160 Celcius, and then a few more minutes at 180 Celcius) :drool: Oh, and a nice bottle of Rioja :)

sir_drinks_alot
17-11-2004, 20:02
for my tea tonight i had a home made Pasta Bake :) very nice to

gary_580
17-11-2004, 20:39
mmm had Spag Bol and a glass of Brouilly mmmm

iadom
17-11-2004, 20:50
Mother in laws home made tater pie.;)

homealone
17-11-2004, 20:50
mmm had Spag Bol and a glass of Brouilly mmmm

lol - we had spag bol, too, mines an Australian Shiraz :tu:

paulyoung666
17-11-2004, 20:52
just cooking some battered sausages i got from tesco's , supposed to be like the one's you get from the chippy , they look nice :drool:

Mr_love_monkey
17-11-2004, 21:06
Tonight, I 'ave been mostly eatin' burritos & beer.

Tezcatlipoca
17-11-2004, 21:31
Tonight -

Some Broadside in the pub after work, & then, to eat, battered sausage & chips from the chippy on the way home

paulyoung666
17-11-2004, 21:43
just cooking some battered sausages i got from tesco's , supposed to be like the one's you get from the chippy , they look nice :drool:

damn nice i fact :D :D :D

Tezcatlipoca
17-11-2004, 21:48
damn nice i fact :D :D :D

Chips too? Can't have battered sausages without chips!

paulyoung666
17-11-2004, 21:50
Chips too? Can't have battered sausages without chips!

no just the sausage in a bun , with chips and curry sauce next time :drool:

Marge
17-11-2004, 21:57
No cooking tonight for me, McD's on the way home from work. Quarter Pounder meal :drool:

dilli-theclaw
17-11-2004, 22:05
I can smell the mother in law's stew and dumplings.....

MMMmmm :)

homealone
17-11-2004, 22:10
:LOL:

just had to laugh at the last few posts, with battered sausages & chips & McD's etc - on the day this new Govt. white paper comes out, on the health of the nation. I'm not having a go, it just seemed ironic ;)

oh & last night we had deep fried battered scampi, deep fried chips, & beans ( which can contain loads of salt & sugar) :D

Macca371
18-11-2004, 00:08
ASDA's Chicken Tikka Masala in the microwave :rolleyes:

Haute cuisine or what?

homealone
18-11-2004, 00:24
ASDA's Chicken Tikka Masala in the microwave :rolleyes:

Haute cuisine or what?

just make sure it is piping 'haute' - we mean it man, even if the pack says 2 minutes, if it is still cool, don't eat it. :D

Macca371
18-11-2004, 00:28
lol :D

danielf
18-11-2004, 00:56
I can smell the mother in law's stew and dumplings.....

MMMmmm :)

I read: I can smell the mother in law's stew and dumpings..... :erm:

Must be me ;)

Tezcatlipoca
28-11-2004, 18:26
Due to laziness, I'm not cooking anything tonight...

...Just ordered a pizza instead, plus some profiteroles :drool:

Raistlin
28-11-2004, 19:09
Being the sad, lonely, muppet that I am (not to mention lazy and v.busy with getting my new flat straight) I opted for a Birdseye Microwave Sunday Roast (for 1). Mmmmmm, processed veg, reheated chicken and dodgy gravy, drool........

daxx
29-11-2004, 01:01
Roast leg of lamb with garlic and rosemary, thyme and lemon stuffing, roast parsnips, roast potatoes, boiled potatoes, cauliflower with butter drizzle and flashed under the grill and green beans, all topped with 'proper' gravy.

Late lunch I know, but I've been on nights :) and 'eat when I'm hungry'

Macca371
29-11-2004, 01:28
Batchelor's Super Noodles To Go - Chicken Chow Mein Flavour.

Got Physics coursework due in tomorrow so I'm going to stay up all night to do it. I've left it until the very last minute, as usual :rolleyes:

The exact same thing has happened with my Maths and Biology Coursework before now.

Ah well, I enjoy it in a strange way.

bopdude
29-11-2004, 04:23
Nothing fantastic, gonna do me a pot noodle, beef an' tomato...... hey, i'm knackered, so its quick and simple time ;)

danielf
12-12-2004, 21:51
Yesterday, we had someone over for dinner, so I cooked Gambas al Ajillo (Prawns with chili and Garlic cooked in sherry/lemon juice), followed by Paella with drumsticks, prawns and Mussels, and some Manchego cheese for dessert.

Today the missus cooked squid in an Italian tomato/parmesan sauce.

YUM :)

Mr_love_monkey
12-12-2004, 21:57
I think i need to come around yours for dinner. :)

dilli-theclaw
12-12-2004, 21:58
My right index finger where I just dropped my soldering iron on it. :(:bigcry:

Raistlin
12-12-2004, 21:59
I had Enchiladas this evening.

Cooked them last night but (as usual) did far too much for just me so I ended up having them for lunch and dinner today as well :D

Mr_love_monkey
12-12-2004, 22:00
We had an exciting pasta and sauce.

very exciting.

danielf
12-12-2004, 22:02
I think i need to come around yours for dinner. :)

Would you like me to could cook Swedish Chicken in the Basket? :)

Raistlin
12-12-2004, 22:03
Probably be better off cooking the chicken in the oven ;)

danielf
12-12-2004, 22:09
Probably be better off cooking the chicken in the oven ;)
As per MLM's avatar, swedish chicken goes in the basket.

Raistlin
12-12-2004, 22:11
Really?

I thought that the Swedish Chef liked to "Put the chicken in the urven"?

Ramrod
12-12-2004, 22:11
Roast beef. roast potatoes and veg + gravy..............mmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D

danielf
12-12-2004, 22:13
Really?

I thought that the Swedish Chef liked to "Put the chicken in the urven"?
I seem to recall he had a penchant for Basketball as well :)

Ramrod
08-01-2005, 10:39
I have just put a half shoulder of lamb (on the bone) into the oven (220 degs C) seasoned with garlic, honey, sea salt and mixed herbs. In 45 mins I will move it to the bottom oven (160ish degs C) for the next 6-7 hours. It will emerge so tender that the meat will literally fall off the bone. :D
It will be served with sprouts, roast potatoes and gravy :drool:
............washed down with organic red penfolds wine :drunk: :D

Raistlin
08-01-2005, 10:53
I have just put a half shoulder of lamb (on the bone) into the oven (220 degs C) seasoned with garlic, honey, sea salt and mixed herbs. In 45 mins I will move it to the bottom oven (160ish degs C) for the next 6-7 hours. It will emerge so tender that the meat will literally fall off the bone. :D
It will be served with sprouts, roast potatoes and gravy :drool:
............washed down with organic red penfolds wine :drunk: :D
Ok, all 'round to Ramrod's for dinner today then.....

Raistlin
08-01-2005, 10:54
I had bacon rolls for breakfast (YUM!).

bopdude
08-01-2005, 11:11
Ok, all 'round to Ramrod's for dinner today then.....What he said ..lol

Me, I've yet to eat today :( been busy, just finished packing for 5 days work in Southampton, leaving 15.00hrs today, I'll try and eat before then :rolleyes:

JohnHorb
08-01-2005, 11:26
It'll have to be a big lamb if half a shoulder is to feed us all!

Ramrod
08-01-2005, 15:08
It'll have to be a big lamb if half a shoulder is to feed us all!It's big but not that big (said the actress so the bishop) :D

edit----17:04......just roasting the 'taters now :D

homealone
09-01-2005, 17:37
It's big but not that big (said the actress so the bishop) :D

edit----17:04......just roasting the 'taters now :D

I hope it tasted as good as it sounded :tu:

I've just stuffed a sea bass with lemon wedges & tarragon, wrapped it in wet newspaper & bunged it in the oven for 20 minutes, can't wait :drool:

Halcyon
09-01-2005, 17:48
Well as its Sunday night, I just have something quick and simple as I have things to get ready for the week.
Tonight I think I'l be making myself a croissant filled with Brie cheese and chopped tomato and then roast on the grill.

Quick and simple.

Mr_love_monkey
09-01-2005, 18:06
wrapped it in wet newspaper & bunged it in the oven for 20 minutes, can't wait :drool:

So it has something to read whilst cooking???? :)

Ramrod
09-01-2005, 18:17
I hope it tasted as good as it sounded :tu: Oh it was :Yes: :D

I've just stuffed a sea bass with lemon wedges & tarragon....as opposed to the lesser known land bass :D

JohnHorb
09-01-2005, 18:21
...or if you're really hungry - a double bass.

homealone
09-01-2005, 18:22
So it has something to read whilst cooking???? :)

:LOL: - I'm just eating it now - yummy :)

(the wet paper keeps it lovely a moist, the fish gently steam cooks, rather than drying out - and if done 'just so' , the skin/scales stay stuck to the paper when unwrapped, saving a messy job at the table :) )

Chimaera
09-01-2005, 18:31
Well it's a takeaway curry courtesy of Tesco for us tonight, veggie for him and lamb for me. :drool: The excuse is we are still decorating and I can't cook dinner and be up a step ladder at the same time!

Stuart
09-01-2005, 19:08
Well, it's Pizza for us tonight. Nothing flash, just Sainsbury's own brand.

Ramrod
16-01-2005, 17:07
The pork joint has been slow cooking in the bottom oven since 10:30 this morning--seasoned with garlic, honey, sea salt and pepper.
I have just put the roasting potatoes into the top oven.
The veg will be steamed.
All served with lots of garlicy gravy :drool: :D

AndrewJ
16-01-2005, 18:01
Ginster Pastry's and a Bombay Bad Boy Pot Noodle.

Real Grub.

Washed down with a few cans.

Ramrod
16-01-2005, 18:03
Ginster Pastry's and a Bombay Bad Boy Pot Noodle.

Real Grub.

Washed down with a few cans.f'kin pmsl :D bwahahahahaha! :rofl:

...I'm still turning those roast potatoes.....every 10 mins :drool: :romance:

MadGamer
16-01-2005, 18:15
Dinner: Beef Caserole

Dessart: Fruit Salad

Mr_love_monkey
16-01-2005, 18:17
Some ready meal for me tonight - due to some problems I couldn't work on Friday, so I'm working today - and I'm going to be working late... The missus has gone out with the little 'un, so I'm left to fend for myself... (though she did offer to cook me something before she went...)

iadom
16-01-2005, 18:56
Beef Wellington,
Broccoli
Carrots
Roast Potatoes.

Cannot decide between a Pacific Bay Merlot ( Californian) or a Hardy's Crest Cabernet Sauvignon (Aussie),

So I think I will have both. :cool:

AndrewJ
16-01-2005, 18:58
f'kin pmsl :D bwahahahahaha! :rofl:

...I'm still turning those roast potatoes.....every 10 mins :drool: :romance:

you like??

And for supper a king sized Pot Noodle beef and tomato flavor, washed down by the rest of the 6pack of beer,

Ramrod
16-01-2005, 19:07
you like??

And for supper a king sized Pot Noodle beef and tomato flavor, washed down by the rest of the 6pack of beer,still pmsl :DCannot decide between a Pacific Bay Merlot ( Californian) or a Hardy's Crest Cabernet Sauvignon (Aussie),

So I think I will have both. :cool:Absaf'kinlutely :tu: :D

.....btw....I have been roundly complimented on my meal (for 7 :erm: )......especially the roast potatoes ( I have a secret recipe) :naughty:

AndrewJ
16-01-2005, 19:15
I am known for my simplicity in meals, however seriously I am a qualified chef, and when I have to put on a posh meal I always get remarks on how good it was.

;)

Ramrod
16-01-2005, 19:21
I am known for my simplicity in meals, however seriously I am a qualified chef, ;)GCSE in home economics? :D

AndrewJ
16-01-2005, 19:29
A Level in BoneIdleNess more like.

Mr_love_monkey
16-01-2005, 20:50
Some ready meal for me tonight - due to some problems I couldn't work on Friday, so I'm working today - and I'm going to be working late... The missus has gone out with the little 'un, so I'm left to fend for myself... (though she did offer to cook me something before she went...)

Hmm... I microwaved it... when it was done, I tipped it out of the plastic container, and threw that away - I wish I'd kept it now, might have tasted better than the food. :)

AndrewJ
16-01-2005, 20:58
Pot Noodles are your friend. ;)

Mr_love_monkey
16-01-2005, 21:00
Pot Noodles are your friend. ;)
Atleast with a microwave meal, there's some uncertainty that the box will taste better - with pot noodles, you _know_ the box would taste better :)

iadom
20-01-2005, 20:58
Fresh Trout cooked in foil with large Prawns, Capers a small glass of White Zinfandel and seasoning.

Tesco's Finest roast potatoes in goose fat.
Julien of Carrots avec Tarragon.
Green beans & garden peas.

The rest of the bottle of Zin for me and any of the red that the wife doesn't drink.:cool:

AndrewJ
20-01-2005, 21:03
A King Size Spicy Curry potnoodle two microwave burgers, and a large blue WKD drink with a normal size pot noodle for afters.

Ramrod
20-01-2005, 21:03
A King Size Spicy Curry potnoodle two microwave burgers, and a large blue WKD drink with a normal size pot noodle for afters.You do eat well don't you? :erm: :D

dilli-theclaw
20-01-2005, 21:06
I still have a bombay badboy pot noodle in the cupboard - not had the guts to try it yet :)

paulyoung666
20-01-2005, 21:20
Tesco's Finest roast potatoes in goose fat. <snip>

heathen , whats wrong with good old fashioned roast potatoes done properly , some nice maris piper potatoes , par boiling them until the outsides are going soft , drain them and rough them up in a collander , make sure the fat is smoking and put them in the oven for about 1 - 1/5 hours :tu: , sorry , i will go back into my hidey hole now :disturbd: :D :D :D :D

AndrewJ
20-01-2005, 21:23
You do eat well don't you? :erm: :D

Aye I do :D ,

I still have a bombay badboy pot noodle in the cupboard - not had the guts to try it yet :)

Do it man do it..full on with the hot sauce...be a man.

iadom
21-01-2005, 00:06
heathen , whats wrong with good old fashioned roast potatoes done properly , some nice maris piper potatoes , par boiling them until the outsides are going soft , drain them and rough them up in a collander , make sure the fat is smoking and put them in the oven for about 1 - 1/5 hours :tu: , sorry , i will go back into my hidey hole now :disturbd: :D :D :D :D
Normally do that but the time factor prevailed.:)

Graham
21-01-2005, 00:25
Pah! Sausage, beans and mash! :)

Stuart
21-01-2005, 09:51
Atleast with a microwave meal, there's some uncertainty that the box will taste better - with pot noodles, you _know_ the box would taste better :)

Pot Noodles are nice... They never quite taste like they are supposed to though..

Actually, the worst tasting thing I can think of (not strictly speaking food). Any hot drink from a vending machine is bad. Apart from Chicken soup. For some reason, although it doesn't taste much like chicken, it can be quite nice.

Ramrod
21-01-2005, 10:13
I still have a bombay badboy pot noodle in the cupboard - not had the guts to try it yet :)Not all that 'bad' a 'boy'.......imo
I did a extensive taste testing of pot noodles last year sometime and posted the results here on the forum somewhere....... :)

Mr_love_monkey
21-01-2005, 10:18
Not all that 'bad' a 'boy'.......imo
I did a extensive taste testing of pot noodles last year sometime and posted the results here on the forum somewhere....... :)
And how much time did you spend in hospital??? :)

Ramrod
21-01-2005, 10:41
And how much time did you spend in hospital??? :)
Ha! The last time I ate hospital canteen food I thought that pot noodles were more nutritious........what was really depressing was that the 'Hospital Nutritionist' room was accessed via the canteen :erm:
...........Kent & County Hospital, Tonbridge Wells, if anyones interested. Colchester General isn't much better though :(

......back to my taste test...........I tried about 6 or 8 pot noodles in the course of an afternoon.....I think the test results are in the 'pot noodle' thread :D

carlingman
22-01-2005, 02:54
Just knocked off for a while from me 4 hour shift in my second job as a taxi driver but before I left I put a Half Leg Of Lamb in the oven stuffed with Garlic and Herbs on a very low heat and now come home to house full of pleasant aromas.

Will wait a while for it to cool and then yum yum yum.

:D

AndrewJ
22-01-2005, 02:55
king size pot noodle, spicy curry flavor. for supper at 3am.

Raistlin
22-01-2005, 02:58
BL**DY H*LL!!!

Didn't realise it was 3am....... Oops.....

AndrewJ
22-01-2005, 03:01
lol

I am here till 5am :dozey:

Raistlin
22-01-2005, 03:03
WoW!! You must really like this forum.....

AndrewJ
22-01-2005, 03:17
I help where I can i dont sleep much never have.

Halcyon
22-01-2005, 11:55
Wow !!! Yeah you seem to be a night person !!!
As for Pot Noodles.....Ewww......there was a topic dedicated to them a while ago. Can't stand them.

On the menu today: Grilled Salmon covered in this lovely sauce. Nice.

Raistlin
22-01-2005, 11:57
Today's lunch will be leftover home-made chicken chow mein from last night. Made enough for three portions when I cooked it last night so that's today's food sorted :D

AndrewJ
22-01-2005, 13:48
Wow !!! Yeah you seem to be a night person !!!
As for Pot Noodles.....Ewww......there was a topic dedicated to them a while ago. Can't stand them.

On the menu today: Grilled Salmon covered in this lovely sauce. Nice.

Believe it or not I do love pot noodles quick simple and easy to cook. But I am a fully qualified (nvq and gnvq) in cooking and I can make some lovely dishes..I choose not to because my dads picky on his food likes nice and simple 1950 style dishes, and my mother has issues eating full stop.. so its when I get my house that I will be making nice dishes again and not waking up to a spicy curry potnoodle and a can of strongbow..

andyl
31-01-2005, 13:43
OK, how about this for a meal. Opening paragraph of a Guardian restaurant review:

"We ate: exotic vegetable pizza; cauliflower and apricot mousse, saffron sauce and crispy black pudding; quail leg beignet, chocolate mayonnaise; beans on toast, glazed hollandaise, curried quail egg; chicken boudin, green grape and tomato salad; "shooter" of fresh pineapple juice, beetroot cream; ragout of wild mushroom and peas, smoked butter sauce; baby artichoke and caper salad; smoked bacon, white asparagus, beetroot dressing, vanilla glaze; poached monkfish, sweet ginger sauce, lavender; glazed tomato and hollandaise; wild mushrooms, pimento chewing gum, tomato consommÃÃâ€*’©, poppy seeds, dried leeks, fennel powder; poached halibut wrapped in courgette, crab bisque, garlic beignet, morels; roasted fillet of beef, truffle glaze, horseradish; French cheeses; melon and vanilla milk; sherry trifle; baked lemon tart; milk chocolate soufflÃÃâ€*’©; espresso and chocolate truffles."

Nugget
31-01-2005, 13:46
OK, how about this for a meal. Opening paragraph of a Guardian restaurant review:

"We ate: exotic vegetable pizza; cauliflower and apricot mousse, saffron sauce and crispy black pudding; quail leg beignet, chocolate mayonnaise; beans on toast, glazed hollandaise, curried quail egg; chicken boudin, green grape and tomato salad; "shooter" of fresh pineapple juice, beetroot cream; ragout of wild mushroom and peas, smoked butter sauce; baby artichoke and caper salad; smoked bacon, white asparagus, beetroot dressing, vanilla glaze; poached monkfish, sweet ginger sauce, lavender; glazed tomato and hollandaise; wild mushrooms, pimento chewing gum, tomato consommÃÃâ€*’©, poppy seeds, dried leeks, fennel powder; poached halibut wrapped in courgette, crab bisque, garlic beignet, morels; roasted fillet of beef, truffle glaze, horseradish; French cheeses; melon and vanilla milk; sherry trifle; baked lemon tart; milk chocolate soufflÃÃâ€*’©; espresso and chocolate truffles."

Just be glad you're not going in the bog after him :erm:

Chris
31-01-2005, 13:50
Just be glad you're not going in the bog after him :erm:

*frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp*

homealone
31-01-2005, 13:57
It all sounds very nice (well except for the chocolate mayonnaise :erm: ), but that lot would feed me for a week ;)

Nugget
31-01-2005, 13:59
*frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp*

*knocks on door*

What are you doing in there? It shouldn't take you that long! I swear there's something wrong with you!

/exits Mrs Nug mode

andyl
31-01-2005, 14:04
It all sounds very nice (well except for the chocolate mayonnaise :erm: ), but that lot would feed me for a week ;)

The portions are not super-sized. Got to state a vested interest. The restaurant concerned is one of my clients. But I can say, hand on heart, that it serves the most delicious, exciting and extraordinary food I've ever eaten. And if you think chocolate mayonnaise is an unusual combination, how about curried fudge. Much nicer than it sounds, honest!

Halcyon
31-01-2005, 14:47
Last nights meal:

Mackeral fish with herbs and tomatoes, olive oil, etc.
Really nice mediteranean dish, served with rice.

homealone
31-01-2005, 15:00
The portions are not super-sized. Got to state a vested interest. The restaurant concerned is one of my clients. But I can say, hand on heart, that it serves the most delicious, exciting and extraordinary food I've ever eaten. And if you think chocolate mayonnaise is an unusual combination, how about curried fudge. Much nicer than it sounds, honest!

curried fudge actually sounds better than chocolate mayonnaise ;)

I go more for the Rick Stein 'simpler the better' approach, but some of those dishes did sound delicious.

Last night we had monkfish & chickpeas in a garlic & tomato sauce, very nice it was too :)

AndrewJ
31-01-2005, 15:03
Todays breakfast..twirl choccy bar...drink...volvic...tea time...fish and chips..and two beers..supper potnoodle probally kingsize.

Halcyon
31-01-2005, 15:22
Volvic is probably the best thing. Very nice mineral water.

iadom
31-01-2005, 19:16
Last nights meal:

Mackeral fish
As opposed to Mackeral ????????:)

Halcyon
31-01-2005, 19:56
Erm yep that too :)

AndrewJ
31-01-2005, 19:59
I like volvic always have plenty of it in stock here, although it does go off quick one opened. Only get about 1day life with it, but the climate control in my rooms heater is to keep it at 80degrees C.

iadom
31-01-2005, 20:26
Whats wrong with good old Corporation Pop.

The tap water in this area is of excellent quality, and at the moment is icy cold straight from the tap, :tu:

gary_580
31-01-2005, 20:41
As opposed to Mackeral ????????:)

or even Mackerel ;)

Just had a Lamb Korma. yummmmmm. Welll had to finish yesterdays roast lamb somehow ;)

Halcyon
31-01-2005, 22:26
I like volvic always have.

The part of France it comes from is very nice down there as its a volcanic region. My Gran lives there and the air is nice, its fresh, and there are some lovely walks that really let you relax and chill out.

Ramrod
27-02-2005, 15:34
Right............in addition to our au-pair, we have our ex-au-pair and their friend staying atm (thats 3 French girls :naughty: :D )
So I cooked Sunday lunch for all of us. Ros-beef (of course! :D )
The beef went into the top oven at 10.30pm last night and into the bottom oven 45 mins later.....it came out about 14 hours later and was superb! :drool:
Served with roast potatoes, veg and gravy made from the meat juices....mmmmm :D
.............and horseradish :)

Bex
27-02-2005, 18:02
Right............in addition to our au-pair, we have our ex-au-pair and their friend staying atm (thats 3 French girls :naughty: :D )

you old perv you.

my nephew and i have just cooked chocolate cornflake cake thingys.... my nephew put more chocolate on my arms than on the cornflakes :erm:
remind me never to bake cakes with him again:D

Tezcatlipoca
27-02-2005, 18:10
Curry.... :drool:

Tuftus
15-03-2005, 20:04
Like the 'what music are you listening to?' thread.....

What did you have for dinner?

A classic opportunity to scrutinise fellow forum members dietry habists etc before they migrate to the toilet thread... :p:

I had Sausages, saute potatos and (my secret recipe) bbq beans...

(ok tonight I was lazy... :rolleyes: )

gary_580
15-03-2005, 20:06
didnt we already start this thread ;)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=18538&highlight=dinner

punky
15-03-2005, 20:07
I had tacos... Mmmmm TexMex... :drool:

Came out really nice... except I didn't drain pan with the onions and peppers in that well, so the meat was a bit too oilly. Tasted great, but won't help me lose any weight.

Chimaera
15-03-2005, 20:09
Well we will be having vegetarian pies, baby new potatoes and fresh broccoli, carrots and cauliflower.
Not sure about dessert yet - probably shouldn't! :Yikes:

Tuftus
didnt we already start this thread ;)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=18538&highlight=dinner

I did search... honest!!!

Must have missed that one in my eagerness to divulge / share my dietary runes... :dunce:

Oh well, carry on / ignore as applicable.

;)

Raistlin
Chicken Tikka Masal, Pilau Rice, Naan Bread.

I was Gonna have a Tarka Tikka Masala, it's like a Chicken Tikka Masala but a little 'otter :D

Escapee
Oh picked the right night for me.

I cooked myself Pork Adobo. :)

aliferste
15-03-2005, 20:10
Toasted pitta breads stuffed with ham and spreading cheese!

Marge
15-03-2005, 20:15
mmm round these parts we have breakfast, dinner then tea

so do you mean dinner or tea???

in my case nothing so far today :erm: just about to head off to the freezer and have a look :rolleyes:

Paul
15-03-2005, 20:16
Must have missed that one in my eagerness to divulge / share my dietary runes... :dunce: ;)Topics merged.

Oh, and I had oven chips, chicken & burgers. :)

Tuftus
15-03-2005, 20:19
Cheers Paul M....

Sorry, will search better in future....

Hope u enjoyed your dinner btw...

;)

bb31
15-03-2005, 20:19
asda's good for you chicken hotpot.............. :(

wont be having it again in a hurry

Tuftus
15-03-2005, 20:21
mmm round these parts we have breakfast, dinner then tea

so do you mean dinner or tea???

in my case nothing so far today :erm: just about to head off to the freezer and have a look :rolleyes:

Tea ;)

Sorry forgot about that...

(and from originally being from up north as well... Slaps wrist)

gary_580
15-03-2005, 20:21
Beef in a Whisky and cream sauce with cheesey bacon potatos yummmmmmmmm

dilli-theclaw
15-03-2005, 21:29
I just had stew and dumplings that my mother in law cooked me.

Um - I'd love to say it was really nice.

But it wasn't.

paulyoung666
15-03-2005, 21:36
I just had stew and dumplings that my mother in law cooked me.

Um - I'd love to say it was really nice.

But it wasn't.

now where is that link to Buxom Woman :Yikes: :D :D :D

dilli-theclaw
15-03-2005, 21:41
now where is that link to Buxom Woman :Yikes: :D :D :D

Luckily for me she is out at college learing to sign :)

Raistlin
12-06-2005, 18:47
Just thought I'd share my culinary experiences of the last couple of nights with you all:

Saturday Night

Home made, stir fried, garlic and basil chicken with egg fried rice.

Verdict: fantastic, my GF thought it was delicious, and I'll definately be making it again.

Sunday Night

Tuna Pie. Tuna fish, baked beans, mashed potato, cheese. Baked in the oven

Verdict: delicious, not sure I'll be able to persuade my GF to eat this one though, she says it sounds gross!

greencreeper
12-06-2005, 21:56
I had my stir fry head on the other day too - did a sweet n sour chicken stir fry. Was yummy. UB's rice, microwaved, mixed with half a jar of sweet n sour sauce, packet of veg mix from Tesco, few fresh mushrooms, packet of turkey breast from Sainsbury. Hey presto.

Raistlin
12-06-2005, 22:10
Mine was made from fresh root ginger, a few cloves of garlic, light soy sauce, ground nut oil, chilli bean sauce, sugar, chicken stock, fresh basil leaves.....oh yeah, and there was some chicken and some rice in there as well (cheated on the rice though, used UB's).

Angua
12-06-2005, 22:11
Gressingham Duck Breasts with Vichi carrots, roast tatties and cauliflower followed by English Strawbs and good vanila ice cream. With a glass (or two of Cabernet Shiraz). That and the sunshine = a perfect Sunday (except I did the cooking :erm: )

Macca371
12-06-2005, 22:15
Best Chinese takeaway in town, Salt and Pepper spare ribs. :drool:

tick
12-06-2005, 22:17
must be borinng I had fish and chips with a couple of cans of carlinng
it was loverly

punky
12-06-2005, 22:30
I had pasta with a tomato and basil sauce. Was nice.

bb31
12-06-2005, 22:54
:erm: ive had a bag of salt and vinegar square crisps and lots of coffee all day.........not well

Raistlin
12-06-2005, 23:04
:erm: ive had a bag of salt and vinegar square crisps and lots of coffee all day.........not well

That's not good. You need to come and see me, I'll feed you up ;)

homealone
12-06-2005, 23:15

go for it - she is way too skinny ;)

today was good - crispy bacon, 'over easy' fried egg, crusty bread, tea & 'proper' coffee

- then steak, chips & salad, loads of wine :tu:

bb31
12-06-2005, 23:56

i'd eat anything that was cooked for me!! just not today........hangover from hell here :(

Tuftus
12-06-2005, 23:57
Leg of Lamb, infused with Garlic and Rosemary, coated with honey served with roasted veg...

YUMMY!!!

greencreeper
13-06-2005, 00:15
(cheated on the rice though, used UB's).
Do you have the Polyfiller problem too? Start with grains of rice and it comes out in slices - all sticky and mushy? Can never get it right - try as I might.

zing_deleted
13-06-2005, 00:28
I had a bowl of weetabix minis fruit and nut for my sunday dinner as the pc clan were to intent on getting there butts kicked, I couldn't stay away long :D :D

Raistlin
13-06-2005, 00:49
Do you have the Polyfiller problem too? Start with grains of rice and it comes out in slices - all sticky and mushy? Can never get it right - try as I might.

Ahh....

Now.....

There's a secret to egg fried rice.....

Let me share it with you greenkeaper-san.....

Cook the rice like this (preferably many hours before hand):

http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-archive/46/245273.shtml

When the rice has cooled sufficiently, put it in a bowl/tub and place it in the fridge.

Then, when you are ready to start cooking your stir-fry use this recipe for the egg fried rice:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/eggfriedrice_4835.shtml

The trick is to make sure that your rice has cooled completely before you start trying to turn it into egg-fried rice.

Note the bit in the rice recipe about leaving it undisturbed. That's very important. You are steaming the rice.

And, no. I cheated with the UB's last night because I hadn't had the time to prepare the steamed rice before hand.

punky
13-06-2005, 10:08
go for it - she is way too skinny ;)

today was good - crispy bacon, 'over easy' fried egg, crusty bread, tea & 'proper' coffee

- then steak, chips & salad, loads of wine :tu:

You better watch it, you'll look like me at the next meet :)

Angua
13-06-2005, 10:31

I have given up trying to get "exactly" the right amount of water so it's all absorbed but not polyfiller. So my tip for plain boiled rice is wash the rice well then use more water than instructions say and simmer for the correct length of time. Then drain and pour boiling water over drained rice through a sive, shake out excess water and serve.:cool:

paulyoung666
13-06-2005, 10:32
I have given up trying to get "exactly" the right amount of water so it's all absorbed but not polyfiller. So my tip for plain boiled rice is wash the rice well then use more water than instructions say and simmer for the correct length of time. Then drain and pour boiling water over drained rice through a sive, shake out excess water and serve.:cool:

same here :)

Raistlin
13-06-2005, 10:43
Next time, try the recipe for steamed rice that I posted above.

Just serve straight away if you want to eat it plain.

greencreeper
13-06-2005, 12:08
Ta for the rice cooking tips. CF has it's own chef :D

Anyone tried red rice? You can boil it for 2 hrs and it's still like iron filings.

danielf
13-06-2005, 12:15
Next time, try the recipe for steamed rice that I posted above.

Just serve straight away if you want to eat it plain.

A fail-safe method for cooking rice:

Cook the rice as you normally would (use about two/three measures of water for one measure of rice). When the water has evaporated/been absorbed, take the pan from the stove, and wrap the pan in a large towel (with the lid on). Leave to stand for about 20 minutes, and hey presto: Fluffy rice that doesn't stick.

Raistlin
13-06-2005, 12:37
Ta for the rice cooking tips. CF has it's own chef :D

Perhaps I could have my own weekly slot?

"Raistlin's Recipes - Cooking with confidence"

Tuftus
13-06-2005, 13:40
A fail-safe method for cooking rice:

Cook the rice as you normally would (use about two/three measures of water for one measure of rice). When the water has evaporated/been absorbed, take the pan from the stove, and wrap the pan in a large towel (with the lid on). Leave to stand for about 20 minutes, and hey presto: Fluffy rice that doesn't stick.

Another way is to rinse the rice thouroughly under a cold tap before boiling it to get the excess starch off it.

Works for me... :)

danielf
13-06-2005, 13:46
Another way is to rinse the rice thouroughly under a cold tap before boiling it to get the excess starch off it.

Works for me... :)

Not if you use pandan rice (thai fragrant rice), which shouldn't be washed :)

punky
13-06-2005, 13:53
I am going to do myself a nice lemon & pepper chicken tonight. Might even give Raist's rice a try. Failing that, roast potatoes and yorkshire pudding.

Tuftus
13-06-2005, 16:57
Not if you use pandan rice (thai fragrant rice), which shouldn't be washed :)

There is always an exception to the rule... ;)

I guess you learn something new every day :)

bopdude
13-06-2005, 17:18
Just cooking a couple of nice big rump steaks with all the trimmings :drool: :drool:

greencreeper
13-06-2005, 18:27
Who'd have thought it - the place is knee-deep in new men :D

Chimaera
13-06-2005, 18:35
Ok - here's a New Woman for you!
Mushroom Stroganoff followed by Summer Fruit Crumble! :drool:

greencreeper
13-06-2005, 18:44
You haven't quite grasped it, have you Chimy? A New Woman would never be seen in the kitchen - that's the New Man's domain now. You're meant to be outside mowing the lawn or tinkering with the car.

...I'm doing a tub of fresh carbonara sauce over pasta.

Raistlin
13-06-2005, 18:48
In complete contrast to my culinary escapades of the weekend I'm having a microwave (read crappy, tasteless, and plasticy) meal for one tonight.

I've had a crappy day at work and I can't be bothered to cook :(

Chimaera
13-06-2005, 18:58
You haven't quite grasped it, have you Chimy? A New Woman would never be seen in the kitchen - that's the New Man's domain now. You're meant to be outside mowing the lawn or tinkering with the car.

...I'm doing a tub of fresh carbonara sauce over pasta.
Well yeah, actually, Paul did the dinner and I have been out tinkering in the garden this afternoon!! The car is still off limits till Wednesday though! :D

budwieser
13-06-2005, 19:20
Tonight is Roast Leg of Lamb marinated in Garlic Puree with Roast Potatoes and Roast Onions with Cauliflower Cheese, Sliced Green Beans, Peas, and Onion Sauce. Mint sauce on the side!:D Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum!:)

The blokes at work will love me tomorrow stinking of Garlic and Onions!:D :D :D

greencreeper
13-06-2005, 22:07
I quite like lamb myself, Budwieser. Incredibly expensive though, and tricky to cook right. Usually opt for it in restaurants.

Tuftus
13-06-2005, 22:41
Tonight is Roast Leg of Lamb marinated in Garlic Puree with Roast Potatoes and Roast Onions with Cauliflower Cheese, Sliced Green Beans, Peas, and Onion Sauce. Mint sauce on the side!:D Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum!:)

Nice!!!

Next time stab holes in it and poke the garlic in to it (garnish with sprigs of fresh rosemary if you have it and glaze with honey), leave it overnight and then roast it...

You will be amazed!!!

I guarantee it, even more so if you bbq it over an indirect heat in a weber!!!

:)

I quite like lamb myself, Budwieser. Incredibly expensive though, and tricky to cook right. Usually opt for it in restaurants.

Cook lamb slowly and you will get excellent results, a leg of lamb done in a slow cooker all day is very hard to beat for flavour and texture.

If you cook it with stock, wine, onions, garlic and veg etc you can make some excellent gravies as well!!!

Ramrod
02-10-2005, 16:43
Roast chicken, roast potatoes, boiled carrots & cabbage with gravy. Nice traditional English food! :drool:
Naturally, I am pickling myself whilst cooking :D

marky
02-10-2005, 16:49
Roast chicken, roast potatoes, boiled carrots & cabbage with gravy. Nice traditional English food! :drool:
Naturally, I am pickling myself whilst cooking :D Marky now charters a very fast helicopter :drool:

Ramrod
02-10-2005, 16:52
The chicken was not boned, before anyone asks.......I'm looking at the [nthw] clan, you rabble! :D

Marky now charters a very fast helicopter :drool:I'll let you know what it tasted like! :D

sir_drinks_alot
02-10-2005, 17:46
roast dinner. :)

Julian
02-10-2005, 18:05
Puppadam onion salad & mango chutney

Chef's special biriani.

Garlic nan

Tiramasu.

Hom3r
02-10-2005, 18:06
Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Baked Beans, Spam, Spam and Spam

:D :disturbd: :nutter:

marky
02-10-2005, 18:08
Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Baked Beans, Spam, Spam and Spam

:D :disturbd: :nutter: I hope you are not spamming spam ;)

fireman328
02-10-2005, 20:24

Never mind the blokes at work, if you are ever in my neck of the woods you can call anytime, I'll provide the makings if you cook it ........drool.
Being single aint all its cracked up to be (well not at my age anyway) ;)

iadom
02-10-2005, 20:42
Steak casserole with onions & carrots. New potatoes roasted in their skins, sprinkled with herbs and roasted in olive oil, fresh spring cabbage and green beans. Washed down with a bottle of Deen De Bortoli, Family Reserve, Durif 2002. a superb antipodean number, a much better finish than their cricketers of late. :)

homealone
02-10-2005, 20:54
Steak casserole with onions & carrots. New potatoes roasted in their skins, sprinkled with herbs and roasted in olive oil, fresh spring cabbage and green beans. Washed down with a bottle of Deen De Bortoli, Family Reserve, Durif 2002. a superb antipodean number, a much better finish than their cricketers of late. :)

sounds yummy - especially the wine, I havn't tried a Durif - will keep my eye out. :tu:

we had Scottish sirloin steak (rare/medium), potato wedges & tinned peas :)

wine - Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon - about £3 a litre & 14% :angel:

bopdude
18-12-2007, 18:13
BIG :bump:

Had to post as haven't had this in ages, tonight is roast pheasant :drool: a brace of them :drool: :drool:

In the oven, smothered in black pepper, sea salt, garlic and a hint of lemongrass :drool:

peanut
18-12-2007, 18:16
I went out for meal last weekend and had Partridge for the first time. Very nice too.

I've never tried Pheasant though, let us know how it goes, if you can taste it through all the extras though.

bopdude
18-12-2007, 18:18
I went out for meal last weekend and had Partridge for the first time. Very nice too.

I've never tried Pheasant though, let us know how it goes, if you can taste it through all the extras though.

Pheasant is very good eating IMHO, the extras are just my 'thing' it would have been nice cooked as is but I do like a bit of garlic :D

budwieser
18-12-2007, 18:40
Fillet Steak wrapped in smoked bacon cooked on the George Foreman grill, new potatoes with onions fried in butter and garlic, Garlic Mushrooms. MMMMMMmmmmm:)

Dude111
02-03-2021, 05:31
I had Mac and cheese tonight :)

Organic and tasty!!!!!!!

I made 2 boxs,that way I can have a second serving reheated (or eat it cold from the fridge) and thats even better!!

TheDaddy
02-03-2021, 06:18
I had pasta and meatballs sunday night with chocolate orange cake for desert, was bloody delicious so much so I'm having it again on Saturday and sadly it will probably be the highlight of the week again, that's the lockdown existence, all the drudge of life and work and none of the fun bits, still little victories

ThunderPants73
03-03-2021, 14:23
Low carb Tikka Masala surprise. I don't remember the recipe.

heero_yuy
03-03-2021, 15:54
Beef Madras with Basmati rice. Slow cooking the beef separately now for a couple of hours to make it melt in the mouth. Using up a Patak's cook-in sauce.

Hugh
03-03-2021, 17:55
Tarragon chicken with basmati rice.

Tinky
03-03-2021, 18:27
Rump steak and salad. :)

TheDaddy
03-03-2021, 20:19
Chicken soup and bread with eton mess for afters