PDA

View Full Version : Plans for a 3Mb service at all?

rogeralpine
07-10-2004, 15:19
Have NTL a 3Mb service planned at all anytime in the near future?

Bifta
07-10-2004, 15:24
I hope so, if they do, I'll gladly swap back from ADSL.

ZrByte
07-10-2004, 15:53
Have NTL a 3Mb service planned at all anytime in the near future?

Given the fact that there are still a lot of us waiting for the 1mb service to be upgraded to 1.5mb it seems unlikeley.
Also, I dont know if its a technology limitation or a self-imposed limit by ntl but They seem to only be able to have 3 tiers of service. So to allow 3mb they would have to get rid of one of the other 3 tiers, good to us, not so to them as they will either have to offer free upgrades to a higher tier for those on the one to be scraped or lose a lot of customers. Either way its money lost to NTL.

bopdude
07-10-2004, 15:57
And if you / we get the option :shrug: what are we gonna do with it with a 1 gig cap in place ( ish) don't get me wrong, I was on, and wish I was still on the 1mb/1.5mb service but hey, like i say, what do you want to do ??? download the world ?

orangebird
07-10-2004, 16:00
What does anyone (residential) want 3mb for anyway?

bopdude
07-10-2004, 16:02
Status ??? I know its nice to have it now, but it does depend on where your getting ' it ' from, speed wise that is :p:

rogeralpine
07-10-2004, 16:04
Although there's meant to be a cap in force, it's not rigorously enforced - if at all. If a 3Mb service was offered, I would expect the d/l cap to be either increased or scrapped altogether. As Telewest offer a 3Mb service, I wondered whether ntl woudl follow suit.

As for d/l the world, if only my good man :-)

Chris
07-10-2004, 16:05
And if you / we get the option :shrug: what are we gonna do with it with a 1 gig cap in place ( ish) don't get me wrong, I was on, and wish I was still on the 1mb/1.5mb service but hey, like i say, what do you want to do ??? download the world ?
Widespread availability of that sort of bandwidth would revolutionise the way we use t'internet once again, in much the same way as the shift from 56k to 512k did. It would make it viable to take true on-demand streams of good quality video and it would make it viable for a next-generation iPod to work with video that you could purchase at a kind of iMove video store. (At least I hope it would - or is 3gb still not enough for that sort of thing?)

I would hope it would also take us a step closer to the web becoming more like an online magazine, with pages loading as fast as you can turn a traditional paper page. I expect there would need to be some fundamental changes to the internet itself to get fully to that state though. I can still get slow responses from some sites whilst others are relatively zippy.

As for the CAP ... NTL's is positively extravagant compared to some, and not strictly enforced, so I still don't see it as a problem unless you're warezing 24/7. It would become a problem once online video download becomes available in the way iTunes now is, but I expect ISPs generally would be forced to change their policies in this regard if it became clear they were effectively preventing people from accessing parts of the internet.

ZrByte
07-10-2004, 16:05

Its not about downloading a lot, its about waiting less for what we download allready, downloading a 600MB - 700MB ISO will be done in half the time for current 1.5mb users, one third the time for 1mb users. Ofcourse if all you do is download small 3mb files your need for this service would be questionable.

bopdude
07-10-2004, 16:07
Although there's meant to be a cap in force, it's not rigorously enforced
There have been rumours of letters.

If a 3Mb service was offered, I would expect the d/l cap to be either increased or scrapped altogether.

:rofl: not a chance IMHO

As for d/l the world, if only my good man :-)
Where would you put it :shrug:

bopdude
07-10-2004, 16:10
Its not about downloading a lot, its about waiting less for what we download allready, downloading a 600MB - 700MB ISO will be done in half the time for current 1.5mb users, one third the time for 1mb users. Ofcourse if all you do is download small 3mb files your need for this service would be questionable. Ok so how many iso's *hatchoooo, films, do you want in a day :p: come on, your talking to a guy thats been into the phatpipe from the start, now though, i dont see the need, that often that is ;)

Keep fihghting the evil pipe :rolleyes:

ZrByte
07-10-2004, 16:12
Where would you put it :shrug:

I think thats why he said if only ;) you'd need a drive in the EB range (Or bigger) to store all that.

ZrByte
07-10-2004, 16:14
Ok so how many iso's *hatchoooo, films, do you want in a day :p: come on, your talking to a guy thats been into the bigpipe from the start, now though, i dont see the need, that often that is ;)

Keep fihghting the evil pipe :rolleyes:

I didnt say I do ;) Infact im considdering downgrading rather than upgrading at the moment.
There is also the fact that anybody that does download Isos (Legal ones), might not everyday, infact they might only do it once a month but want it fast when they do.

bopdude
07-10-2004, 16:15
I think thats why he said if only ;) you'd need a drive in the EB range (Or bigger) to store all that.
A drive or plenty of disks, I know of a *friend *cough who has spindles full of ;) ISO's that have never been watched, just coz *he, had a pipe :p:

Bifta
07-10-2004, 16:24

I download probably every game demo known to man, when some of them weight in at over 500 meg it's handy. I also download loads of freeware addons for games, a lot of them are huge. Then there's drivers, patches, service packs, streaming (free) movies, flash games, application demos, I'm not saying everyone will use 3 megabit all of the time, but it'd be nice to have it for when you do need it, afterall, we don't all own cars that are restricted to the national speed limit.

Rone
07-10-2004, 17:17
I hope not. Well, not until the 1.5 meg is stable enough for me to be happy with.
Just seems it was reliable as a house brick, until it was upgraded "free of charge". ;)

etccarmageddon
07-10-2004, 17:41

at the moment it's probably a status thing - some people want the fastest car even if they only use for it 10 mins a day!

it will probably drive breakthroughs such as film rental via the internet - this is probably the next step after rental via post.

http://news.com.com/Netflix,+Warner+Bros.+in+video-on-demand++test/2100-1025_3-5376581.html

you'll pick a film, then download it to your pc and watch it in real time perhaps via wireless link from your PC to your TV or pick films which are auto downloaded in background and stored ready to view on demand.

Carth
07-10-2004, 23:30
I hope not. Well, not until the 1.5 meg is stable enough for me to be happy with.
Just seems it was reliable as a house brick, until it was upgraded "free of charge". ;)

:clap: well said m8, until they can get the present stuff running right there's no point even considering a 3mb connection :mad: