PDA

View Full Version : SB4100 problems

johnnyboyc_uk
07-10-2004, 08:57
My SB4100 has been dropping its connection regularly for way too long now - I've put up with it because a: I'm a lazy s*d, and b: It's readily sorted by powering down, disconnecting the coax cable, giving it a clean (which probably does nothing to help but hey!) then switching back on again. It's clear there's something not right with the modem so I'd like a replacement; what number do I need to call to get something done about it?

Many thanks :)

/edit: the bleedin' thing's offline again grrrrrrrr :(

Nemesis
07-10-2004, 10:51
Try 0800 052 2000

DeadKenny
07-10-2004, 13:16
It's quite possible it's nothing to do with the modem but your signal levels. If they're borderline there's a good chance that powering off and on the modem will "fix" it for a short while as a reboot may just been enough for it to lock on.

What are the symptoms? Do you get a particular light that goes out or flashes (something like in my avatar on the left)?

Browse to http://192.168.100.1/ and go to the signal page and post the results here. Also have a read of this...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html

johnnyboyc_uk
07-10-2004, 15:01
It's quite possible it's nothing to do with the modem but your signal levels. If they're borderline there's a good chance that powering off and on the modem will "fix" it for a short while as a reboot may just been enough for it to lock on.

What are the symptoms? Do you get a particular light that goes out or flashes (something like in my avatar on the left)?

Browse to http://192.168.100.1/ and go to the signal page and post the results here. Also have a read of this...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html

Your avatar is an exact representation of what I frequently see.

I can't remember the exact number of engineer visits I've had regarding this problem - it must be about 4 or 5 now - but each one has failed to diagnose and remedy the issue.

I'll check the signal levels out when I get home (I'm at work now).

Thanks for responding :)

DeadKenny
07-10-2004, 15:43
I can't remember the exact number of engineer visits I've had regarding this problem - it must be about 4 or 5 now - but each one has failed to diagnose and remedy the issue.

Same here, I've had this problem on and off for a couple of years sometimes with major downtime. The last recent batch of problems has been the last straw so I'm in the process of trying to get ADSL instead.

Definitely wasn't the modem though as I was given another modem to try and it made no difference. Even having them pull a new cable made no difference.

bontrager
07-10-2004, 19:04
I had this problem a while back now and it was a signal fluctuation issue and i too had about 6 engineers etc. but the problem is it fluctuates, so unless they are here when its down, it all looks okay...

I posted a message on the old hell site asking about others in my local area, luckily a few of us had the same problem and with about 4 of us logging complaints, they finally looked into it and fixed it. Do you know anyone else locally you could ask if their service is also bad? sadly would probably need to be very local

DeadKenny
07-10-2004, 21:26
Almost every other broadband thread here can be put down to signal levels.

I feel there's an inherent flaw in cable technology (maybe because it's old cabling designed for analogue TV not digital and broadband?). I still maintain that if cable modems were installed by proper engineers in the first place who check the signal levels and don't leave until everything's correct (even if that means installing a new cable or at least arranging for a new one, or scheduling a fix somewhere on the network), NTL would save themselves a fortune in wasted call-out costs and probably retain more customers.

I was quite impressed by the BT guy who turned up the other day. Proper engineer and had all the kit to check the line's signal properly. He even went away to go fix something "eleswhere" (exchange perhaps?) to ensure I had a reliable line. Friendly, pleasant attitude rather than the usual NTL "I hate my job, I want to get this over with in 2 minutes" attitude. Turns up on time :tu:.