PDA

View Full Version : Moving from NTL phone > BT and TalkTalk

slewis1972
06-10-2004, 19:03
Ok -

I have a NTL phone line and NTL BB - which I am planning on keeping.

Basically, I pay by NTL phone bill via non direct debit as NTL refuse to allow me to state what date they can take it out of the bank - and it seems they have started to charge me £2 non direct charge, up from the the £1.

Anyway - spoken with BT - and no issue with them about taking out via direct debit on the day I want.

Anyway - I was thinking about going to talktalk - especially if I do - then so will the mother-in-law and sister-in-law - who are all with NTL.

Question though - has anyone done this. What do I do - do I ring NTL, give them my 30 days notice - do I ring BT and get them to then transfer the number? But am I resticted then to stay with BT - but I want talktalk?

Can anyone explain please?

Thanks

Scott

scrotnig
06-10-2004, 19:38
Ok -

I have a NTL phone line and NTL BB - which I am planning on keeping.

Basically, I pay by NTL phone bill via non direct debit as NTL refuse to allow me to state what date they can take it out of the bank - and it seems they have started to charge me £2 non direct charge, up from the the £1.

Anyway - spoken with BT - and no issue with them about taking out via direct debit on the day I want.

Anyway - I was thinking about going to talktalk - especially if I do - then so will the mother-in-law and sister-in-law - who are all with NTL.

Question though - has anyone done this. What do I do - do I ring NTL, give them my 30 days notice - do I ring BT and get them to then transfer the number? But am I resticted then to stay with BT - but I want talktalk?

Can anyone explain please?

Thanks

Scott
First off, some regions of the country CAN change the DD date for your phone bill, though not your broadband.

The non DD charge is supposed to be £1. I am guessing your broadband might be quite new, in which case that's how the £2 charge occurred, but it's an error and will need correcting.

Thirdly, you can give 30 days notice to ntl, in which case you lose the phone number and BT have to give you a new one when you apply to them. Alternatively, ask BT to port the number.

You can then request service from TalkTalk as soon as BT install you, but after the request is put in it takes about 18 days for TalkTalk to go active...until then you would have to make do with BT's call prices.

After the TalkTalk service goes live, you would pay £10.50 line rental per month to BT, then your TalkTalk bill would come separately.

TalkTalk in my experience have been very good...they are very efficient and user-friendly.

DeadKenny
06-10-2004, 22:21
You don't need to give NTL notice. In fact you don't even need to speak to NTL at all...

Assuming you want to keep your phone number...

Ring BT, tell them you want to "come back" to BT and bring your number with you. They'll do all the work, including cancelling your NTL line (but not your broadband).

It'll take a while for them to book a date for the change over but it's fairly seemless. On the day you may have an engineer to come round to check the line (and do any work if necessary), or it may be done externally. They'll give you a time slot (morning or afternoon), and actually keep to it, plus take your mobile number to contact you on the day. When they've got the line active you'll have a dial tone (so can dial-out) and then it will take a number of hours for the NTL number to be ported across as it goes into a queue to be done. Once done you can receive calls and your NTL line is then dead.

Job done.

I've just done it myself and got my BT line and NTL number ported across this week.

Applied for ADSL, and that's on it's way too :D (you need to leave it for 24 or 48 hours before applying to let BT's system catch up with the number).

scrotnig
06-10-2004, 22:30
You don't need to give NTL notice. In fact you don't even need to speak to NTL at all...

Assuming you want to keep your phone number...

Ring BT, tell them you want to "come back" to BT and bring your number with you. They'll do all the work, including cancelling your NTL line (but not your broadband).

It'll take a while for them to book a date for the change over but it's fairly seemless. On the day you may have an engineer to come round to check the line (and do any work if necessary), or it may be done externally. They'll give you a time slot (morning or afternoon), and actually keep to it, plus take your mobile number to contact you on the day. When they've got the line active you'll have a dial tone (so can dial-out) and then it will take a number of hours for the NTL number to be ported across as it goes into a queue to be done. Once done you can receive calls and your NTL line is then dead.

Job done.

I've just done it myself and got my BT line and NTL number ported across this week.

Applied for ADSL, and that's on it's way too :D (you need to leave it for 24 or 48 hours before applying to let BT's system catch up with the number).
...at which point, assuming you're not using a reseller, your call costs will go up.

Please don't anyone try and tel me that BT are some sort of wonderful, faultless company. They are most certainly not, and they are atrociously expensive for call costs.

Practically any reseller you choose to mention can beat almost every single tarrif they offer.

And yes...they miss appointments too. It happens.

They also get away with 'disengenuous behaviour' in a lot of their adverts.

They are certainly no better or worse than ntl, and they are a lot worse, price wise, than most resellers.

Shaun
07-10-2004, 00:39
Please don't anyone try and tel me that BT are some sort of wonderful, faultless company. They are most certainly not, and they are atrociously expensive for call costs.

Come on Mark, Kenny wasn't trying to say that BT are perfect at all, but I must admit I've not had any trouble with them since switching.

Talking about resellers, the thread starter should consider call18866.com for their phone calls. As (s)he'll have a BT line he'll be able to take advantage of their extremely low 1p per call tariff. :D

You need to make allot of "free" calls to make it worth using talk talk.

slewis1972
07-10-2004, 07:31
Thanks for that info guys. At least it sounds like I can get away from ringing BT to cancel the line and port my number.

Inn ref to my option to go to talktalk, the only other option I was looking at was tescos phone - as wife works for them and does all her shopping there. Anyone use them?

Scott

DeadKenny
07-10-2004, 08:59
They are certainly no better or worse than ntl, and they are a lot worse, price wise, than most resellers.

In terms of customer service in my experience NTL are FAR worse. I won't go into my long history of sheer hell with NTL over all the years (right back to CableTel days), but for me if I really am better off with BT. If you're interested just search on my posts. I have absolute justification (and encouragement from some here) to finally stick the boot in with NTL due to the terrible level of service I've had.

As for the call costs, they are not much different and BT are in no way extremely expensive.

Remember that NTL charge an additional fee per call whereas BT charges a "minimum" fee (I don't know the exact charges, but for example, a 5 min call at 1pm/min for example would be 5p on BT including the minimum call charge, but on NTL it may be 10p because of the initial call charge).

Also, both NTL and BT have identical schemes such as the 6p for an hour anywhere in the UK off-peak deals.

Also with BT you have the choice to pick 3rd party cheap calling options etc, unlike with NTL (or at least less choice).

Also, with BT you have the choice for ADSL ISPs, unlike with NTL and their crummy "always off" cable modem (not to mention ADSL prices are vastly cheaper and faster than NTL's pathetic service). Having choice means that you aren't stuck with BT as the ISP. Some of those other ISPs have very highly rated customer service (and from what I've seen of the ISP I've chosen, PlusNet, so far I'm stunned and amazed. NTL really should look at what some of these people do and take notes on how to operate good customer service).

Also, with BT you can be assured services like Caller ID will actually work and not be given the run around from clueless people at NTL who aren't sure or tell you 'no' when it might work, or it's plain not available in your area, or it doesn't work with some phones, etc.

The grass may not be entirely greener, but there's more grass to choose from ;)

However this was not a "BT is better than NTL" thread, it was purely about someone asking what's involved with switching, regardless of their reasons. Also, I'm sure there are many people happy with NTL and have no reason to move (and so should have no interest in this thread ;)). I'm not one of them :mad:

scrotnig
07-10-2004, 09:48
Come on Mark, Kenny wasn't trying to say that BT are perfect at all, but I must admit I've not had any trouble with them since switching.

Talking about resellers, the thread starter should consider call18866.com for their phone calls. As (s)he'll have a BT line he'll be able to take advantage of their extremely low 1p per call tariff. :D

You need to make allot of "free" calls to make it worth using talk talk.
I have them also, but am concerned about the way they dumped this 1p tarrif on non-BT lines without inforiming anyone!

How long before they do this on BT lines too? There is simply no way that tariff can be profitable for them. Having said that, I *do* use them because I have the tarrif announce on, and also keep an eye on their website...but how many will do that?

TalkTalk is a great all round deal including the service levels....cheapest is not always best, as in all walks of life.

Shaun
07-10-2004, 10:19
How long before they do this on BT lines too? There is simply no way that tariff can be profitable for them. Having said that, I *do* use them because I have the tarrif announce on, and also keep an eye on their website...but how many will do that?

Thats all you can do, and after all they are an internet only company so there would be no bill to send a leaflet in. Their tarrif announcement and their site reflected the price hcange, if people don't notice that then what can the company do?

They have cut my call costs to about £4 a month, I'm willing to keep an eye on the tarrif message for savings that big :)

For the service you recieve I think its the best dealout, there's an article here (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1095003038,99872,) for anyone intrested in savingmoney, it gives you a general over view of whch company could be best for you.

Edit - here's some intresting figures:

Counting the savings: The cost of medium usage

Provider (basic package)

Total
Saving

Toucan ------
BT £5.00
OneTel £25.00
Talk-Talk £55.00
18866 & 1899 £195

Notes (a)65 calls to landlines at various times lasting a total of 7 hours (b) 24 calls to mobiles at various times lasting a total of 2hours 15 minutes (c)1x20 min calls to the USA & China (d) all use BT £10.50 line rental

orangebird
07-10-2004, 11:04
<SNIP>
Also, with BT you have the choice for ADSL ISPs, unlike with NTL and their crummy "always off" cable modem (not to mention ADSL prices are vastly cheaper and faster than NTL's pathetic service). Having choice means that you aren't stuck with BT as the ISP. Some of those other ISPs have very highly rated customer service (and from what I've seen of the ISP I've chosen, PlusNet, so far I'm stunned and amazed. NTL really should look at what some of these people do and take notes on how to operate good customer service).
<snip>

As far as I'm aware, you don't HAVE to have ntl as an ISP just because you have a phone line from them.... :erm:

Chris
07-10-2004, 11:20

Provider (basic package)
Total
Saving

Toucan ------
BT £5.00
OneTel £25.00
Talk-Talk £55.00
18866 & 1899 £195

Notes (a)65 calls to landlines at various times lasting a total of 7 hours (b) 24 calls to mobiles at various times lasting a total of 2hours 15 minutes (c)1x20 min calls to the USA & China (d) all use BT £10.50 line rental
Dell, I'd like to have a look at the page you got those from - do you have a link?

DeadKenny
07-10-2004, 12:11
As far as I'm aware, you don't HAVE to have ntl as an ISP just because you have a phone line from them.... :erm:

Absolutely, but I was referring to the choice of broadband ISPs really. It's basically NTL or nothing at all (unless you move to a Telewest area), as you can't get ADSL on an NTL phone line (or ISDN I assume?).

To have a choice of other broadband provider you generally have to get a BT line.

For dial-up of course it's a different matter ;)

scrotnig
07-10-2004, 13:36
Thats all you can do, and after all they are an internet only company so there would be no bill to send a leaflet in. Their tarrif announcement and their site reflected the price hcange, if people don't notice that then what can the company do?

They have cut my call costs to about £4 a month, I'm willing to keep an eye on the tarrif message for savings that big :)

For the service you recieve I think its the best dealout, there's an article here (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1095003038,99872,) for anyone intrested in savingmoney, it gives you a general over view of whch company could be best for you.

Provider (basic package)

Total
Saving

Toucan ------
BT £5.00
OneTel £25.00
Talk-Talk £55.00
18866 & 1899 £195

It's worth noting that the BT savings are based on the fact that they force migrated EVERYONE to their 5p plan, whether they wanted to or not. This has irritated users of third party resellers who don't want BT's 5p plan (Option 1).

What this does, as well as generating extra revenue for BT from users who never make a single call with them, is allow BT to compare ntl's standard tariff with their 5p plan...which is not comparing like with like.

ntl still make the 5p plan OPTIONAL, and if you compare costs with that, ntl is cheaper, since BT's plan is 5.5p for the hour, ntl's is 5p.

But this is the type of tactic BT use all the time.

Funny how BT still call it 'Option 1', when it isn't really an option at all.

Shaun
07-10-2004, 19:59
ntl still make the 5p plan OPTIONAL, and if you compare costs with that, ntl is cheaper, since BT's plan is 5.5p for the hour, ntl's is 5p.

What's the connection fee with Ntl now?

scrotnig
07-10-2004, 20:00
What's the connection fee with Ntl now?
It's 5p, but that doesn't apply on the 5p talk plan...it's 5p for the whole hour, inclusive. Otherwise it would be a 10p talk plan.

Shaun
07-10-2004, 21:38
It's 5p, but that doesn't apply on the 5p talk plan...it's 5p for the whole hour, inclusive. Otherwise it would be a 10p talk plan.

Swings and roundabouts then I guess as BT only has a 5p minimum call charge.

Even with the extra pound a month for "option" 1, its cheaper to pay BT for their phone line and use call18866 than pay for the phone line from Ntl and use their packages.

slewis1972
08-10-2004, 09:30
Well had a purge this morning, and not only moved all my gas and eletrcity supplies to Powergen moved my phone line to BT

Note though - BT are doing the transfer on the 4th November eg port number over plus coming out to check the lines etc as its been a long time since I had a BT line but I thought NTL have to be given 30 days notice.

Also - because I am having an engineer come out to check the line etc (had a BT line about 3 years ago) - is there any extra charge?

Scott

Shaun
08-10-2004, 14:08
Well had a purge this morning, and not only moved all my gas and eletrcity supplies to Powergen moved my phone line to BT

Note though - BT are doing the transfer on the 4th November eg port number over plus coming out to check the lines etc as its been a long time since I had a BT line but I thought NTL have to be given 30 days notice.

Also - because I am having an engineer come out to check the line etc (had a BT line about 3 years ago) - is there any extra charge?

Scott

When you Port your number there is no need to give Ntl 30 days notice.

As for the charge, normally no, but you'll not know until you get your first bill. I didn't get charged and we had never had an active line at all!

DeadKenny
08-10-2004, 17:51
As said, with porting there's no notice required. Just leave it all the BT who will do all the work (and unlike NTL they don't charge for bringing a number in). I would assume however that NTL will continue to bill you for a month (though I've heard horror stories about NTL billing for up to a year after getting rid of them, complete with accounts of them sending the heavy mob round to get the money! :eek: ).

There's no charge for reconnections, however in my case the stupid woman on the phone didn't press the right buttons and so her computer insisted it was a new connection. Therefore they've applied it to the bill already, or at least the contract has it as an entry to be added to the bill, and as I'm paying by direct debit they've set the current payment amount high to pay the £75 :( (I can of course change it myself).

The engineer just said they should have known perfectly well that this was a straight reconnect.

Anyway, hopefully it'll not appear on the bill, but the engineer did have some work to do as the line had been disconnected for so long it needed some reconnection work (don't know what he did but it took a while).

scrotnig
08-10-2004, 18:18
As said, with porting there's no notice required. Just leave it all the BT who will do all the work (and unlike NTL they don't charge for bringing a number in). I would assume however that NTL will continue to bill you for a month (though I've heard horror stories about NTL billing for up to a year after getting rid of them, complete with accounts of them sending the heavy mob round to get the money! :eek: ).

There's no charge for reconnections, however in my case the stupid woman on the phone didn't press the right buttons and so her computer insisted it was a new connection. Therefore they've applied it to the bill already, or at least the contract has it as an entry to be added to the bill, and as I'm paying by direct debit they've set the current payment amount high to pay the £75 :( (I can of course change it myself).

The engineer just said they should have known perfectly well that this was a straight reconnect.

Anyway, hopefully it'll not appear on the bill, but the engineer did have some work to do as the line had been disconnected for so long it needed some reconnection work (don't know what he did but it took a while).
A couple of points here:

1) ntl do not currently charge anyone to bring a number in from BT.

2) ntl will stop billing for your phone line the day it is transferred out, and no later. Obviously if you have your phone line included in the TV price, and have given 30 days notice on the TV, then this won't make any difference to your bill, but any talk plans and separate line rental would stop the day the number was transferred.

I'll keep clearing up these myths and replacing them with the truth:D

scrotnig
08-10-2004, 18:20

Scott
Good luck with Powergen....their call queues make ntl's look puny, and their ringback service rarely works.

They have also 'nicked' my gas and electricity supply by claiming I requested it, when all I did was ask about it. British Gas, my existing suppliers, are helping me get it back but it's a nightmare.

DeadKenny
08-10-2004, 18:29
A couple of points here:

1) ntl do not currently charge anyone to bring a number in from BT.

They'd better update their new (as of 1st Sept 2004) Tariff List (http://www.ntl.com/home/telephone/pdf/TelcoTariff.pdf) then ;)...

Porting of existing phone number* £20.00 (inc VAT)

* For your telephone number to be transferred to ntl you must be the existing telephone account holder. You authorise us to arrange with your current telephone service provider for cancellation of your existing telephone service.

2) ntl will stop billing for your phone line the day it is transferred out, and no later. Obviously if you have your phone line included in the TV price, and have given 30 days notice on the TV, then this won't make any difference to your bill, but any talk plans and separate line rental would stop the day the number was transferred.

I'll keep clearing up these myths and replacing them with the truth:D

I only assumed that one ;)

scrotnig
08-10-2004, 18:38
They'd better update their new (as of 1st Sept 2004) Tariff List (http://www.ntl.com/home/telephone/pdf/TelcoTariff.pdf) then ;)...

I only assumed that one ;)
What this actually is, oddly, is the same situation as BT.

A number port with both companies is OFFICIALLY £20. However, neither company will currently charge it, for competitive reasons.

At one time it was only London North region that was doing free ports, but this was then extended to the whole country.

Unless some regions have a specific policy of charging, but I cannot see it. London North wouldn't.

slewis1972
09-10-2004, 17:05
NCan anyone ask - NTL adn BT phone cable. My street is cabled - was cable and wireless, and there is no pylons of BT phone lines - as the house is only 30years old.

An I right in thinkingn that the cable is shared for my phone line - or is there actually another piece of cable under my front gardens thats bt's?

Also - has anyone looked at the suppliers that are doing phone line and ADSL for just once price - as seems a cost saver?

Scott

scrotnig
09-10-2004, 19:58
NCan anyone ask - NTL adn BT phone cable. My street is cabled - was cable and wireless, and there is no pylons of BT phone lines - as the house is only 30years old.

An I right in thinkingn that the cable is shared for my phone line - or is there actually another piece of cable under my front gardens thats bt's?

Also - has anyone looked at the suppliers that are doing phone line and ADSL for just once price - as seems a cost saver?

Scott
ntl's cable is not shared with anyone else, so you probably have underground BT cabling coming into the property. More recent developments often do.