PDA

View Full Version : Online Credit Reference

Mr_love_monkey
06-10-2004, 10:39
Does anyone know if I can get a credit search on someone online - I've found a few, but they expect me to subscribe to their business service - basically I just want one of these, pay a fee and get a credit reference on someone...

Scarlett
06-10-2004, 11:00
You can get your personal credit report from equifax (https://www.econsumer.equifax.com/consumer/uk/forward.ehtml?forward=default)

As far as I know, you cannot get access to anyone elses credit record without being registered as a company.

bopdude
06-10-2004, 11:01
You can get your personal credit report from equifax (https://www.econsumer.equifax.com/consumer/uk/forward.ehtml?forward=default)

As far as I know, you cannot get access to anyone elses credit record without being registered as a company.
Just about to say the same thing, beat me to it and the link *drat

Mr_love_monkey
06-10-2004, 11:08

Bums.

Basically I wanted to see if a company that claims that they have done a check on someone (and returned no problems, apparently) - has actually done it - since this person has since gone on to cause no end of problems for us -
So I wanted to see if anything came back for them - and then could argue that this company has not done what they are paid for.

Jason1
06-10-2004, 11:24
you will have to register as a company and provide copies of consumer credit licence and data protection. I would like to offer to do this for you but its is illegal to do a credit search without consent from the applIcant and as our company name is logged i would be traceable if the applcant where to complain

Paul
06-10-2004, 11:35
you will have to register as a company and provide copies of consumer credit licence and data protection. I would like to offer to do this for you but its is illegal to do a credit search without consent from the applIcant and as our company name is logged i would be traceable if the applcant where to complain... and you never know who's watching .... ;)

andygrif
06-10-2004, 14:04
Bums.

Basically I wanted to see if a company that claims that they have done a check on someone (and returned no problems, apparently) - has actually done it - since this person has since gone on to cause no end of problems for us -
So I wanted to see if anything came back for them - and then could argue that this company has not done what they are paid for.

You would never be able to see the actual searches carried out on someone else, even if you were registered as a company.

I'm assuming you're talking about a house let here? I think you would be within your rights to ask the company to prove they carried out a credit search on the individual, if they put it in writing.

Scarlett
06-10-2004, 14:44
If you ran a creidt check on them, one of the fields that comes back is recent searches, That may tell you who searched and from that you'll be able to see if they did or not, you might only get the type of company but in any case, that should show if a letting agency did the search or not.

Whoever it is, you should be able to ask for all the information that they hold on you under the DPA. I'd be supprised if they didn't have a note on your records to say that person x applied for this and we did a credit check on your behalf. It'd probably be on a tick list that has to be compleated before they can have the keys (assuming a house let)

Mr_love_monkey
06-10-2004, 14:54
I don't actually need to see the results of the search that the other company did - basically I just want to see if they did a search - they said they did, and that everything came back ok - if I could do a search, and some CCJ's etc come back, that would prove to me that they didn't actually do the search.

Basically the situation is the letting agent says that they did a search, and that it all came back ok - we let the place to this guy, who after a few months stops paying the rent - after x number of months, and x number of thousands of pounds, he's now gone after we got him evicted (he also damaged the property) - also he's run up several thousands of pounds worth of debt, (all of which is registered to this address) - the spending patterns to me, seems like someone who is used to living beyond their means, i.e. over 2 grand on a debenhams charge card (in his wifes name) - which makes me think there must have been previous incidents, so there should be a record of it.

Basically I want to see if the letting agent has been negligent...

daxx
06-10-2004, 16:07
All instances of 'credit vetting' are recorded against the persons file.

I would imagine if you contacted the relevant company, experion and equifax come immediatley to mind, and explain the situation they would advise you on the correct solution.