PDA

View Full Version : Book-crossing

testcard
13-08-2003, 21:46
A super idea that we all can do with our old books.

Book-crossing is an international book exchange that encourages people to read books and then release them †˜into the wildââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ for others to find, read and pass on †“ creating a live Urban Book Exchange. Releasing means leaving them in trains,pubs,cafÃÃâ€*’Âà ‚©s or anywhere.

Its simple, register a book at

http://www.bookcrossing.com/

and obtain an unique number and release it. Then follow its progress on the site.

Bookcrossing label

homealone
13-08-2003, 22:14
That is a cool idea!

however, I was trying to imagine some of the journal entries?

- got vandalised in a bus stop in Lewisham, but I'm ok.

- food poisoning outbreak at camp-site - ran out of loo roll, sorry.

- help, I'm being scanned

:D

paulyoung666
13-08-2003, 22:15
good idea unless you get done for littering :eek: :eek: :eek:

kink
13-08-2003, 22:16
That's a fantastic idea!! Thanks for the link...

My only problem is that i love my books and even have trouble parting with the ones i hated :( BookCrossing may think that the books on my shelves aren't doing any one any good.... but they do... they give me great pleasure exactly where they are :p
And the really good ones i read again years.... or weeks later ;)

The idea of sharing book reviews is great though..... may even register and see what happens....

I mean... everyone's a critic deep down.... or not so deep down judging from this forum alone :naughty:

Thanks again! :)

homealone
13-08-2003, 22:43
Originally posted by kink
That's a fantastic idea!! Thanks for the link...

My only problem is that i love my books and even have trouble parting with the ones i hated :( BookCrossing may think that the books on my shelves aren't doing any one any good.... but they do... they give me great pleasure exactly where they are :p
And the really good ones i read again years.... or weeks later ;)

The idea of sharing book reviews is great though..... may even register and see what happens....

I mean... everyone's a critic deep down.... or not so deep down judging from this forum alone :naughty:

Thanks again! :)

I know what you mean, I used to buy books from a market stall that offered a half price buyback - not many went back! Most of them are still on shelves, or up in the loft.

Gaz

Shaun
13-08-2003, 22:50
I was a little cynical about this but decided to try it, I have registered me and the book I want to give away. I thought I'd leave it in my bank (co-op in Leicester city) tomorrow, its only small and I thought a nice dry place to leave it.

Well looking at the site I'm not the only one, there is a person in Leicester who left a book there in march!!

I'll let you all know how my little copy of 'Wyrd Sisters' by the wonderful Mr Terry Pratchett get on. I wonder how far it will go.

edit - spelling

Lord Nikon
13-08-2003, 23:06
I'm still trying to complete my collection of the works of EE 'Doc' Smith...

Some of his books would work PERFECTLY as movies.

Ramrod
13-08-2003, 23:19
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
I'm still trying to complete my collection of the works of EE 'Doc' Smith...

Some of his books would work PERFECTLY as movies. He rings a bell. Science fiction? Sure I used to read him...

homealone
13-08-2003, 23:24
Originally posted by Ramrod
He rings a bell. Science fiction? Sure I used to read him...
Lensman series

Grey Lensman etc?

Lord Nikon
14-08-2003, 00:27
Lensman, Skylark of Valeron, Family D'Alembert etc

homealone
14-08-2003, 00:39
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
Lensman, Skylark of Valeron, Family D'Alembert etc

:notopic: - you ever tried the ng's for books m'Lord?

testcard
14-08-2003, 20:34
Think of it as 'file-sharing', legal and you can follow the progress

Ramrod
14-08-2003, 21:29
Originally posted by homealone
Lensman series

Grey Lensman etc? Ah yes, how could I forget?
Probably because it's been 20 years:D

homealone
14-08-2003, 21:39
Originally posted by Ramrod
Ah yes, how could I forget?
Probably because it's been 20 years:D

- that's why i mentioned newsgroups. ;)

- loads of old scifi books are available there - if you are interested, of course:p

Jules
16-08-2003, 11:51
I pass mine on to a charity shop but this seems like a fun idea

kink
16-08-2003, 12:09
OK.... it would seem i have a problem.... I think this site is a brilliant idea BUT i can't let go of my books!! :eek: I don't even like lending them to people... people i know and love :( and certainly not since the last time i did that years ago and my beloved book came back stained :afire:

Do i seek therapy or just get one of those people i know and love to slap me upside the head? :spin:

Help? :shrug:

Shaun
16-08-2003, 14:21
Originally posted by kink
OK.... it would seem i have a problem.... I think this site is a brilliant idea BUT i can't let go of my books!! :eek: I don't even like lending them to people... people i know and love :( and certainly not since the last time i did that years ago and my beloved book came back stained :afire:

Do i seek therapy or just get one of those people i know and love to slap me upside the head? :spin:

Help? :shrug:

The way I look at it is that I have enjoyed a book, and I would like someone else to. If I want to read it again I can go to the library and get it out or buy it again.

Saying that I wouldn't give away one of my favourite books or a first edition (should I own one).:D

kink
16-08-2003, 14:24
Originally posted by Drudge
The boss and I agree with Kink, We have books on shelves in every room, books in boxes all over the place and we can't even get in the conservatory for books.

Leave books on benches and in other strange places ---GO WASH YOUR MOUTHS OUT.

:D :D :D

Do you find the concept as painful as i do, Drudge? ;)

I'd like to participate in the scheme but would have to buy two copies of any book i want to share, and keep one and leave one in a public place.... hopefully not in a carrier bag or brown bag..... or it would cause a security alert in many places around the country :eek:
I suppose the places that you can leave the books in are designated, mutually agreeable areas or any person could pick the book up..... or cause the bomb squad to be called out :D

Must read the bumpf properly lol I can offer critiques of various 'good reads'.... but the actual book is staying where i can see it :(

Maybe we should start a thread on great reads on here?

kink
16-08-2003, 14:28
Originally posted by dellwear
The way I look at it is that I have enjoyed a book, and I would like someone else to. If I want to read it again I can go to the library and get it out or buy it again..........
[Snippity snipped]

Well..... if i said it's good and they're interested.... why can't they go to the library or buy it themselves??? :shrug:

I just can't do it Dell :cry: Having said that... if someone couldn't afford to buy it.... or didn't have a public library near them - a social crime - then i'd buy it for them :D
Really!! :)

testcard
16-08-2003, 23:11
Originally posted by Drudge
The boss and I agree with Kink, We have books on shelves in every room, books in boxes all over the place and we can't even get in the conservatory for books.

Leave books on benches and in other strange places ---GO WASH YOUR MOUTHS OUT.

:D :D :D

Look at this way, books have given you tremendous pleasure, become an evangelist - share. Maybe someone, unused to books will develop the same love as you. With this you can share the magic..............

Maggy
16-08-2003, 23:41
The time is coming round again.I have books double parked on the bookshelves(two deep).I have them stacked on top of the bookshelves.I have them on the unit,under the sofa,all over the table,in the drawers,under the bed,in the loft.That doesn't cover my daughter's fine collection for her literature degree course and my son's excellent collection spanning 15 years.

The last clear out was when I sold my Star Trek collection for £80 and my Ann MacCaffrey collection for £40.I just used the money to buy more books.

I might be persuaded to release the only Heinlein I have into the wild but that's because he is the ONLY SF writer I detest.Hardly the ethos of bookcrossing though!

NO I'm not doing it.However I have just discoverd the Project Gutenburg which might slow me down.
You can get certain books that are out of copyright for free at this site.The drawback is that you have to read them either on your moniter or print them out at your own expense.
http://gutenberg.net/index.html if you are interested.

Incog.:D

kink
16-08-2003, 23:41
Originally posted by testcard
[Snippity snip]........... With this you can share the magic..............

Well, they can have my copies of Harry Potter.... all 4 of them.... how's that for sharing the magic :erm: :p

But am not sure i'd want to inflict that on anyone :D

More of a curse than magic ;)

kink
16-08-2003, 23:43
Originally posted by Incognitas
{Snippity snip]......
NO I'm not doing it.However I have just discoverd the Project Gutenburg which might slow me down.
You can get certain books that are out of copyright for free at this site.The drawback is that you have to read them either on your moniter or print them out at your own expense.
http://gutenberg.net/index.html if you are interested.

Incog.:D

Ahhhh one of my old haunts.... haven't been to that site for a while....

Thanks for the reminder :)

homealone
17-08-2003, 00:21
Originally posted by Incognitas
<snip>
<snip>
I might be persuaded to release the only Heinlein I have into the wild but that's because he is the ONLY SF writer I detest.Hardly the ethos of bookcrossing though!

The Friday stuff was gross incog I agree with you - but please read Stranger in a Strange Land again.(imho)

Also Tunnel in the Sky?

<snip>