PDA

View Full Version : Sharing connection through router (registration query)

neilsby
05-10-2004, 14:27
Hi there,

I'm subscribed to the 1.5mb NTL STB broadband service and I want to share the connection between 2 PCs and a laptop. I'm confused about one thing: Will I have to register each computer connected to the router with the STB or do I register the router. Also, if I have to register each computer is there a limit to how many computers can be registered and how can computers be unregistered from the STB. If this makes no sense then it's because I don't understand the registration process.

I recently found that the USB ethernet converter connecting my computer to the STB was the cause of all my apparent hang-up problems, I connected the ethernet cable directly to the LAN card on my computer and the STB recognised it as a new computer and asked for a new name to recognise the computer by (so I now have the computer registered twice!)

I'd be very grateful for any help, I can't stomach the idea of waiting for an hour on the phone again, not that i'm complaining, I know how busy call centres can get. In fact NTL is better than the majority of companies, but the whole industry needs an overhaul if you ask me.

Thanks.

gary_580
05-10-2004, 14:29
All you will have to do is register the router with the STB.

Connect it all up with the STB, router and PC's powered off

Boot up the STB

Boot up the router

Boot up one of the PC's

Try to use IE or what ever browser you use and you will be asked to add the router to your list of devices.

You can also remove the two devices that are currently registered if you want to. However it doesnt really matter if you dont.

BTW :welcome: to the forum

neilsby
05-10-2004, 15:35
Wow, that was the fastest reply ever. Thank you very much. I've just purchased a D-Link 624 router, laptop card and pci card based on that advice, the people at broadbandstuff should give you commission!

I can't stress enough how much difference connecting the STB to the LAN card instead of the USB port has made to my connection performance. If any one is experiencing short periods of inactivity with their connection then this might be the cause, especially with older O/S systems like Win 98. I'm not sure if it's a USB confliction with other USB devices or that Win 98 usb drivers have bugs or whatever, but a LAN card only costs £20, is easy to install and could solve all your problems. Maybe NTL should carry this advice in their manual, it would've saved me a year of crappy internet.

Anyway, thanks again, hope to contribute to the forum, if only I had anything of worth to add!

Nemesis
05-10-2004, 15:38
Anyway, thanks again, hope to contribute to the forum, if only I had anything of worth to add!Glad we could help, and as for contributing .... anything goes really :D

Matth
05-10-2004, 22:12
Or clone the mac address of an already registered PC to the router (most support this) and it's "job done" no re-registration needed.