PDA

View Full Version : I seem to have done something rather silly.

seaneeboy
05-10-2004, 12:09
Apols if this is spam, but it is in a very good cause, and directly from me :)

OK, Here's the deal. Someone offered on my blog the chance to swap jobs with them - they would become a fundraiser for Barnardo's, I would start dressing and dancing as a pixie. I, of course, being the sensible type I am, decided to pass on the offer... which kind of led to a second challenge. Feeling a little less sensible, I took them up on it. so here goes.

If I can raise £500 for Barnardo's through the interwebnet thing, then I will happily dance as a pixie for anyone with a camera phone to blog and post in the web. Yes, I'll be dancing for anyone on the web to see. but ONLY if we can raise an extra £500 for Barnardo's.

I'll do it in Millenium Square in Leeds so everyone gets the chance to come along and moblog it.

Thanks to the guys at http://www.moblog.co.uk for my blog that this madness all came from...

Please dig deep and sponsor me online by going to http://www.justgiving.com/seaneeboy

Thanks all.
Seaneeboy xxx

Chris
05-10-2004, 12:16
Yes it is spam, but it's spam of a kind that's quite hard to get annoyed at as it is apparently for good charitable purposes. Personally it makes me uneasy to think that the 'chugger' (charity mugger) phenomenon has gone online and these people are now spamming blogs instead of merely accosting people in shopping centres. There's enough background noise on the internet as it is.

Jon M
05-10-2004, 12:20
I must admit I tend to ignore things like that.. even if it's been sent to me by my family/friends.
My policy is that if I have spare money to give, I'll investigate which charity/organisation is most worthy, off my own back.
Much like making a purchase and being bombarded with advertising, I find it obtrusive and sometimes patronising.
I already give to charity and church work, and I don't like it when I get treated like I'm a skinflint just because I've turned down "your" particular charity after talking to you on the doorstep of my house.

*for the record.. this isn't a rant at sean's expense, if you want to support barnardo's then go for it.. they're a very good cause

seaneeboy
05-10-2004, 12:21
Hi Chris,

Sorry, if it's innapropriate to talk about here feel free to mod/remove it.

For the record though, I'm not a chugger, I work purely with volunteers... Not a huge fan of chuggers either!

As for spam, I can't abide it myself and I have enough trouble keeping spammers off my blogs without spamming other peoples... from an organisational point of view it would be pretty insensitive of me to do that as well.

seaneeboy
05-10-2004, 12:25
Blimey - I do apologise to everyone, it does seem to have gotten people's backs up a bit - I can assure you all I'm not here to hassle people for cash, this is purely for a bit of fun... the idea was to see if the users of the net would en mass like to see someone dance like a pixie...

I totally understand the pressures people feel to be philanthopic, and would never criticise anyone's giving practices.

I thought I'd get away with posting this here as I have felt a member of this community (including .com) for a couple of years now and thought I would just be messaging my mates.

Sorry again, was just a bit of fun.

Jon M
05-10-2004, 12:32
Sorry :(, I wasn't having a go at you mate, it was a "principle" rant rather than anything else.
I never said I wouldn't donate either ;)..

*clicks

seaneeboy
05-10-2004, 12:34
'sok - I totally get where you're coming from :)

Thanks matey

Chris
05-10-2004, 12:41
No offence taken - I was trying to open the debate up a bit s'all ... if 'd thought the thread was inappropriate I'd have removed it ;)

EDIT

Notice so far it's only the Christians moaning though :erm: :disturbd: :D

Jon M
05-10-2004, 12:49
I'm a born whinger... just like my Dad.
Adding "self righteous" would be a bit too much to put under my avatar ;)