PDA

View Full Version : "flu"

Dave Stones
04-10-2004, 10:01
having come down with the "freshers' flu" and being generally knackered and not being able to do anything apart from cough my guts up on the settee got me thinking about flu...

how come some people persist in saying they have the flu when they quite obviously dont? "touch of flu" and all that. you either have it or you dont... incidentally i dont actually think freshers' flu is flu, just some random bug that goes round uni at the start of term. i got it last year and had a chronic cough for 3 months but doctor wouldnt give me any pills, and have got it this year too. i managed to get myself to work on the weekend cos i need the money, but i am sure if i dragged myself to the doctors i could get myself a sick note...

is there anyone here who phones in sick with a "touch of flu" beacuse they have a little bit of a snotty nose and temperature? heehee.

i'm also thinking i have too strong an immune system. i've had glandular fever before too but this just manifested itself in the form of a runny nose for about two weeks...

maybe it is beacuse of my personal hygiene? i dont wash my hands, eat food that ive dropped on the floor (8 second rule) etc etc. on the other hand, my housemates who are neat freaks and have OCD with washing things and being neat and tidy always come down with things and generally have a crap immune system...

hmm, something to think about there :erm:

</rant>

Bifta
04-10-2004, 10:07
I think there's a bout of something (I wouldn't call it the flu though, more like a bad cold) going round, I had it all weekend, now I'm coughing up brown chod and generally feeling like a bag of crap and everyone I know seem's to have had it over the last week or so. It didn't help that my mrs went in for radioiodine treatment around a week ago, I was supposed to stay well away from her for at least 2-4 day's (which of course I didn't) so I suspect I got a dose of radiation which probably didn't do a lot of good for my immune system.

Mick
04-10-2004, 10:19
I was sick over the weekend I put it down to the chinese take away I bought on Friday. But seems there is a bout going around at the moment.

Also being stressed out can play a part catching flu viruses.

Others poor hygiene doesn't help matters either. I wash my hands every time I go to the toilet, I do it without thinking about it. When I make trips to the public toilets in my supermarket, I am amazed how many blokes use the urinal and just walk out and do not wash their hands. :erm:

Dave Stones
04-10-2004, 10:22
Others poor hygiene doesn't help matters either. I wash my hands every time I go to the toilet, I do it without thinking about it. When I make trips to the public toilets in my supermarket, I am amazed how many blokes use the urinal and just walk out and do not wash their hands. :erm:
see, i don't wash my hands as i know "down there" what i am touching is clean, is just skin after all...for a number one anyway... also i dont splash so dont really need to wash anything off :)

*skulks away quietly*

one of my housemates is a joker about washing, he goes and washes the ends of his fingers of his right hand under cold water for about a second after he touches anything.... that is just pointless, is it not? i laugh...

Bifta
04-10-2004, 10:32
one of my housemates is a joker about washing, he goes and washes the ends of his fingers of his right hand under cold water for about a second after he touches anything.... that is just pointless, is it not? i laugh...

Perhaps he's obssessive/compulsive, I probably wouldn't stretch it as far as being funny.

Jon M
04-10-2004, 10:49
Thats why I never shake hands with most of the people at my office.
Not washing your hands after going to the bog is seriously rancid :mad:

I do not want to shake hands (effectively) with your penis, thankyou very much.

etccarmageddon
04-10-2004, 12:30
I was sick over the weekend I put it down to the chinese take away I bought on Friday. But seems there is a bout going around at the moment.

Also being stressed out can play a part catching flu viruses.

I never use urinals!

Mick
04-10-2004, 13:31
Me neither... http://members.lycos.nl/Dodotje/smilies/urinate.gif

SMHarman
04-10-2004, 13:37
I remember reading once that a quick diagnosis for flu is seeing a £50 note on the ground and feeling too crap to pick it up. If you can pick it up, you have a bad cold.

Nugget
04-10-2004, 13:49
Thats why I never shake hands with most of the people at my office.
Not washing your hands after going to the bog is seriously rancid :mad:

I do not want to shake hands (effectively) with your penis, thankyou very much.

What, you mean that you don't *ahem* point with the left and shake hands with the right?

:jk: :jk: :jk:

Maggy
04-10-2004, 14:19
During the great Influenza of the 60's my family were all severely ill with flu.I've never been so ill again in my life.

Those who say they have flu when all they have is a heavy cold should be ashamed because the real thing is very dangerous especially to the very vunerable like the very young and the elderly.

Problem is that we all get involved with hyperbole trying to top each new awful experience with over the top descriptions.The media are the very worst especially during disasters like train wrecks.Then when something truly awful happens like 9/11 we have no words left to use that seem right because we have trivialised the ones we have.So some folk feel they can't just say they have a heavy head cold.It's a stupid bad habit. :)

ZrByte
04-10-2004, 14:47
I remember reading once that a quick diagnosis for flu is seeing a £50 note on the ground and feeling too crap to pick it up. If you can pick it up, you have a bad cold.

I think I could manage that if i'd been shot though, so I dont think thats entirely accurate :D

Bifta
04-10-2004, 14:53

I'll agree with that, I've only had influenza once and it could have been a winning lottery ticket, I still wouldn't have been in any fit shape.

gary_580
04-10-2004, 15:11
ive never had flu, but i do get colds more often than i used too and they get a lot worse each time i get them.

Theodoric
04-10-2004, 18:39
I never use urinals!
A dangerous practice, not urinating. Tycho Brahe, the famous astronomer, apparently died because he insisted on staying at the table during a banquet instead of making some excuse to leave.

Theodoric
04-10-2004, 18:41
<Snip>
how come some people persist in saying they have the flu when they quite obviously dont? "touch of flu" and all that. you either have it or you dont...
<Snip>
How very true. If you've ever had flu, you know about it! Flat on your back for a fair number of days.

Electrolyte01
04-10-2004, 19:09
I've never had the flu then. I've only had a cold for about 1-2 weeks and that will be it. I think I have a good immune system :erm:

Macca371
04-10-2004, 19:14
During the great Influenza of the 60's my family were all severely ill with flu.I've never been so ill again in my life.

Those who say they have flu when all they have is a heavy cold should be ashamed because the real thing is very dangerous especially to the very vunerable like the very young and the elderly.

Problem is that we all get involved with hyperbole trying to top each new awful experience with over the top descriptions.The media are the very worst especially during disasters like train wrecks.Then when something truly awful happens like 9/11 we have no words left to use that seem right because we have trivialised the ones we have.So some folk feel they can't just say they have a heavy head cold.It's a stupid bad habit. :)

Yes, I hate it when people always say they have a migraine when it's just a mild headache - migraines are completely different. They are much more painful and are accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and visual disturbances.

Maggy
04-10-2004, 19:29
Yes, I hate it when people always say they have a migraine when it's just a mild headache - migraines are completely different. They are much more painful and are accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and visual disturbances.

I have them all the time.However not all migraines have the same symptoms so someone may legitimitely claim to have a migraine.No two people are affected the same way.But you are right migraines are nothing like a mild headache.Shudder!

Bex
04-10-2004, 20:48
I have them all the time.However not all migraines have the same symptoms so someone may legitimitely claim to have a migraine.No two people are affected the same way.But you are right migraines are nothing like a mild headache.Shudder!
to right.... migraines can be completely dibilitating... i remember my old job i had to have a couple fo days because i had a killer migraine, and a few weeks later one of my collegues was off for a day with one, and my manager made some catty comment about some people only needing a day off for a migraine.... shows she doesn't get them. when i have a bad one, i suffer from complete exhaustion and brain fuzz for a week afterwards. not pleasant

i've had a virus for the past month. absolutely shattered all the time, sore eyes, runny nose on and off, headache constantly for two weeks. aches and pains everywhere, swollen glands, etc. temperature and the shivers. not been pleasant, only just starting to get over it now.

nffc
04-10-2004, 23:46
Yeah, "freshers flu" sucks (it is a cold though- merely due to exposure to a vastly different virus pool in such a short space of time). I've been on Lemsip for a couple of days, seem to have got rid of it now. I've had the flu about twice, ever- and it's nothing like a cold, you just can't get out of bed or owt, really sucks :(

As for colds- Lemsip (the first one won't do much after that they'll kick in), aspirins (again, a couple of doses), plenty of lockets etc, and sleep if you can afford to (without missing lectures) will sort them pretty quickly, in my experience...

Jeez I sound like a medical student. And I'm not...

i've had a virus for the past month. absolutely shattered all the time, sore eyes, runny nose on and off, headache constantly for two weeks. aches and pains everywhere, swollen glands, etc. temperature and the shivers. not been pleasant, only just starting to get over it now.

If that carries on get that checked out- from what I've heard it could be glandular fever.

etccarmageddon
05-10-2004, 08:20
see, i don't wash my hands as i know "down there" what i am touching is clean, is just skin after all...for a number one anyway... also i dont splash so dont really need to wash anything off :)

perhaps you should wash your hands before you go to the toilet so you dont get it dirty! :p: you could be contaminating your ultra clean weeing machine!

A dangerous practice, not urinating. Tycho Brahe, the famous astronomer, apparently died because he insisted on staying at the table during a banquet instead of making some excuse to leave.

I still urinate but I insist on the VIP treatment!

SMHarman
05-10-2004, 08:26
perhaps you should wash your hands before you go to the toilet so you dont get it dirty! :p: you could be contaminating your ultra clean weeing machine!

You certainly should, especially if you work in any industry handling chemicals or organic materials. Penile cancer is most prevelant in the oil industry and motor trade, all those taking a number 1 with oily hands :shocked:

Nugget
05-10-2004, 15:49
Well, the accepted way of doing it in the food industry is that, after using the toilet, you should fill the bowl with water, wash your hands thoroughly and then remove the plug - basically 'cos this means that if some grubby oik hasn't washed his properly then, after filling the bowl, you have no contact with the tap.

Dave Stones
05-10-2004, 15:53
well i work as a replen assistant at homebase... plenty of chemicals there :) but so far, no diseases....

SMHarman
05-10-2004, 15:59
well i work as a replen assistant at homebase... plenty of chemicals there :) but so far, no diseases....
Be careful though you don't want it falling off in 15 years time :dozey:

Nugget
05-10-2004, 16:05
Be careful though you don't want it falling off in 15 years time :dozey:

Stuff that - I don't want mine falling off in 50 years :Yikes: !

Dave Stones
05-10-2004, 16:09
15 years? bloody hell. if i thought i would have to stop using it before i was 40 i would top myself now..... :disturbd:

SMHarman
05-10-2004, 16:40
Stuff that - I don't want mine falling off in 50 years :Yikes: !
50+29... Rigour Mortice might well have set in!

Nugget
05-10-2004, 17:00
50+29... Rigour Mortice might well have set in!

Now rigor mortis I could probably live with :naughty:

Dave Stones
05-10-2004, 17:04
what about 19 + 15? :cry:

Maggy
05-10-2004, 17:05
All I know is that if there are free peanuts on the bar in the pub I DON'T EAT THEM,because chances are that you blokes have not washed your hands after a visit to the gents.I don't care how much you reckon your penis is clean I don't want to eat the peanuts if you don't wash your hands.Same goes for any buffet food. :sick:

The fact is EVERYONE male or female should wash after the toilet and using Nuggets suggestion should ensure we keep our personal germs personal especially when communal eating is concerned.

And Dave!! :nono: :nono: :nono: If a swab was taken of your penis and surrounding skin area and placed on a culture you would be horrified to see how many bacteria form even if you think it is clean. :sick:

Incog.

nffc
05-10-2004, 17:29
what about 19 + 5? :cry:
24... ;) :D

bigitup_j
05-10-2004, 17:45
anyone tried acute bronchitis (nothing cute about it, trust me! :D)?
you get everything with that, and i had a bad cough for 3 months! it was nasty.
i woke up in the morning, with a slight sore-throat, and by lunchtime i was shivering and coughing my guts out!! :(
i was off school for 6 days (yay :D), i'm sure i should have been off for at least 3 weeks!! :D

but, i've never has flu! :)

etccarmageddon
05-10-2004, 17:48
this is for you Dave!

http://www.welltown.gov.uk/home/home_handwash.htm

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-09/asfm-aua091103.php

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1378634.stm

http://www.rentokil-initial.com/press2.php?itemid=159