PDA

View Full Version : Where to report 'phishing' email

Aragorn
03-10-2004, 20:46
Any idea where best to send an attempted Phish email to?

Just recieved a mail from 'Barclays' say my account has been compromised and I need to visit their site. Pity I don't have a Barclays account !!

Would NTL do anything about the source, the real Barclays Bank or the Police?

TIA.

daxx
03-10-2004, 21:00
check with the web site of the alleged sender and look for their security address. i.e if the email alleges to have come from barclays then go to the barclays website and follow the instructions given.

Some want you to copy the headers others want you to forward the email, it may differ from site to site.

:D Or have some 'fun' with the scammer, just paste the link into an anon browser window and leave some nice abusive comments instead of the requested information. whatever you type in the input boxes will be accepted

SteJ
03-10-2004, 21:02
I've had this e-mail to and several others like It over the past few months, I just delete them and forget about them, you'd have to be pretty dumb to fall for them but I suppose theres always a minority who will, but the banks in question and most major ISP's should be aware of these by now.

altis
03-10-2004, 21:42
Do all the correct authorities get notified when a new phishing scam arises?

Yes, all the relevant authorities are working together to combat these threats and continue to keep online banking both safe and secure. If you think you have been targeted by a phishing, trojan or money mule scam please contact your bank immediately. If you receive a suspicious email or are directed to a phishing site, you can also send a copy to reports@banksafeonline.org.uk.
taken from:
http://www.banksafeonline.org.uk/index.html

paulyoung666
03-10-2004, 23:14
I've had this e-mail to and several others like It over the past few months, I just delete them and forget about them, you'd have to be pretty dumb to fall for them but I suppose theres always a minority who will, but the banks in question and most major ISP's should be aware of these by now.

and with respect to you my friend , i would always report spam of this kind , you might just be helping that dumb relative of yours without knowing it ;)

andygrif
03-10-2004, 23:27
I've not heard of the Banksafe link before, so that's a good place to send to....Barclay's say you should report it to internetsecurity@barclays.co.uk