PDA

View Full Version : Modem report

Haighy
03-10-2004, 19:36
Been having some problems with slow updates to pages in the Hudds area.
Read all the posts on this thread and the proxy thread.
Tried all the suggestions.
Got advised to try docsdiag.
Did that (eventually) and got the following. Well once I had worked out how to copy and paste from a DOS window.
Have read the stuff about what the spec should be.
Have also read the bit that says "Dont just post the results to a forum and ask if this is ok" but ....
Is this ok ?
System up time = 0 days 21h 30m 19.77s
Ethernet single-collision errs.1 = 653
Ethernet multiple-collision errs.1 = 1107
Downstream channel ID = 0
Downstream channel frequency = 402750000 Hz
Downstream received signal power = -3.3 dBmV
Upstream channel ID = 3
Upstream channel frequency = 28784000 Hz
QoS max upstream bandwidth = 128000 bps
QoS max downstream bandwidth = 750000 bps
SigQu: Signal to Noise Ratio = 34.0 dB
Cable modem status = Operational
Upstream transmit signal power = 45.7 dBmV
Date and Time = 2004-10-03,18:28:23.0+00:00
Configuration filename = tera210x-silver.cm
Seems to be within spec as far as I can tell but would appreciate any comments. Dunno what the collision thing is though.
Thanks in advance
Steve (who did try to help himself as requested in the header of this forum)
Running XP home on 750k and a P4 3.06

carlingman
03-10-2004, 23:40
Hi Haighy,

Power levels look to be fine although it does show some collisions.

I see from the posting you have a Terajet Modem and as long as you have no router in between and it is a direct connection maybe worth checking the setting of your Ethernet card.

To do this goto start/settings/control panel and double click network and dial up connections and look for an icon that says Local Area Connection and right click it and choose properties.

You should see something that says Ethernet and click on the configure option and choose the advanced tab.

Have a look in the property box for either something that say half or semi duplex ot 10 base t.

If there is a choice of selecting 10 or 100 with half duplex choose 10 as this is the optimal setting for Ethernet cards using the Terajet Modems.

After selecting then click on ok and ok and a restart may be required.

The above is not going to solve all your problems but should reduce the Ethernet collisions.

You say you have read the other thread and tried the Proxies etc and this makes little difference?

Also you mention that you getting slow updates to pages and if this is the case then it could be the transparent cache and you can by pass this by entering ?1234 at the www.address being typed ie for google it would www.google?1234 which will by pass the cache and force it to look for the latest page alternativelt pressing control and F5 will refresh this.

Anyhows mull over the above and let us know and post back with specific examples if you can of the pages causing the problems or is just browsing in general.

A couple of other pointers would be to empty out the cache by clearing the temporary internet files by choosing from your browser tools/options/then delete temp internet files and also maybe running Adaware to eliminate any spyware etc.

Hope it helps.

:D

Haighy
04-10-2004, 15:05
Thanks for the reply carlingman :-)

The modem is connected via a belkin router, which expects 100t I believe. Will look to see what options the router has for talking to the modem when I get home.
The pages that have slow updates are usually dynamic ones, usually using java to control images. I was watching a webcam of a volcano and the update rate was dire. Checked against a friend using adsl and he was getting almost 1 frame a second. I was getting 1 frame every 3 seconds in bursts of about 10 seconds and then a freeze of about 20 secs. I understand that it depends on traffic etc but the whole experience seems slower. Yahoo cams are much slower than they used to be, although that may be a "benefit" of the latest yahoo.
I have done all the usual things. Cleared caches, both java and IE, run adaware and spybot. The effect is the same when I plug a laptop into the router but it is also apparent when one of the computers is plugged straight into the modem. Will try plugging the laptop (which is running a very bare installation of xp pro installed to a new HD on Saturday) directly into the modem and doing the speed thing with that.
Thanks again for the suggestions. Is there a simple explanation for what a collision is anyone ?
Steve
Edit. Just looked up collisions and they seem to be a normal part of how ethernet works. Will have a play with transmission speeds tonight

carlingman
04-10-2004, 23:39
Thanks for the reply carlingman :-)

The modem is connected via a belkin router, which expects 100t I believe. Will look to see what options the router has for talking to the modem when I get home.
The pages that have slow updates are usually dynamic ones, usually using java to control images. I was watching a webcam of a volcano and the update rate was dire. Checked against a friend using adsl and he was getting almost 1 frame a second. I was getting 1 frame every 3 seconds in bursts of about 10 seconds and then a freeze of about 20 secs. I understand that it depends on traffic etc but the whole experience seems slower. Yahoo cams are much slower than they used to be, although that may be a "benefit" of the latest yahoo.
I have done all the usual things. Cleared caches, both java and IE, run adaware and spybot. The effect is the same when I plug a laptop into the router but it is also apparent when one of the computers is plugged straight into the modem. Will try plugging the laptop (which is running a very bare installation of xp pro installed to a new HD on Saturday) directly into the modem and doing the speed thing with that.
Thanks again for the suggestions. Is there a simple explanation for what a collision is anyone ?
Steve
Edit. Just looked up collisions and they seem to be a normal part of how ethernet works. Will have a play with transmission speeds tonight

Hmm strange one this.

Although late on this I would not recommend changing the Ethernet Settings as a router is involved as the optimal settings i originally mentioned are for a direct connection.

I would recommend taking a look at our resident gurus site found here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/stream.html)

That will show the optimal setting for streaming etc.

It would be intersting to see what outcome you get with a direct connection.

Im guessing this maybe be fluctuating power levels so when this poor performance happens try grabbing the levels from docsdiag as they are i believe a snapshot reading at the time.

Failing that i think it may be time for you to get the hands free out and give Tech Support a call and see if you can arrange an engineers visit and let them do some online testing etc.

However if you go for that i would recommend you have it connected up without the router in play.

Haighy
05-10-2004, 08:31
Thanks again for the suggestions.

Did the docsdiag thing this morning and got very similar results for the 6 times I ran it (got to love batch files). However the general experience seemed faster at 6:30 am. Wonder if it is just congestion ? Or some people hogging the bandwidth. It isnt my network because I have tried with the other computer switched off. Of course it may just have been me that was slow at that time and so it seemed faster.
Ran assorted speed tests and they all report the speed being within spec.
Maybe some sites like NTL and some dont ?
That was the main reason for trying different proxies, but it doesnt seem to have helped.
I will have to search the threads, and possibly the net, to find a non-NTL proxy. Wonder if that will make a difference. Would the NTL proxies still intercept the calls through their network ?
Thanks again for your help, will play some more before asking Tech Support to come out and have a look.

carlingman
06-10-2004, 00:12
Thanks again for the suggestions.

Did the docsdiag thing this morning and got very similar results for the 6 times I ran it (got to love batch files). However the general experience seemed faster at 6:30 am. Wonder if it is just congestion ? Or some people hogging the bandwidth. It isnt my network because I have tried with the other computer switched off. Of course it may just have been me that was slow at that time and so it seemed faster.
Ran assorted speed tests and they all report the speed being within spec.
Maybe some sites like NTL and some dont ?
That was the main reason for trying different proxies, but it doesnt seem to have helped.
I will have to search the threads, and possibly the net, to find a non-NTL proxy. Wonder if that will make a difference. Would the NTL proxies still intercept the calls through their network ?
Thanks again for your help, will play some more before asking Tech Support to come out and have a look.

If you need some public proxys to test out then take a look here (http://www.publicproxyservers.com/)

Haighy
10-10-2004, 18:50
Sorry I took so long to reply ... been a little busy IRL :-)

Tried the proxy place and picked a few out. There is a definite improvement on some of the sites.
Thank you for your help :-)