PDA

View Full Version : On or OFF

samuelnw53
02-10-2004, 23:25
Is it best to leave an SACM on all the time ,or switch it all off when switching off computer?

paulyoung666
02-10-2004, 23:42
leave it on :)

Paul
02-10-2004, 23:49
Yep, I agree with Paul, Leave it on.

MetaWraith
02-10-2004, 23:53
and the 3rd judge says...
LEAVE IT ON
}:¬)

nffc
03-10-2004, 00:34
Why would you want to turn it off?

kronas
03-10-2004, 00:42
they dont call it an 'always on' service for nothing you know!!!

but yes there is no harm in leaving your SACM on, its what they are designed for, to always be left on. :)

simpsonsFAN
03-10-2004, 00:48
If they wanted you to switch it off they would have put a switch on it!.

-Chris

Halcyon
03-10-2004, 01:21
I switch mine off every night now.
No problems at all.

simpsonsFAN
03-10-2004, 17:29
I switch mine off every night now.
No problems at all.
not doing you modem much good though!

-Chris

paulyoung666
03-10-2004, 18:12
not doing you modem much good though!

-Chris

correct me if i am wrong , years ago it was the accepted theory that repeated power cycling would cause problems , with more modern technologies isnt the reverse now true ??????????? :angel:

MikeyB
03-10-2004, 21:07
Why would you want to turn it off?

Save electricity??? (what little it uses!)

I have never understood why people leave computer equipment off when they are not using it.
ALL of my equipment gets powered off when I'm nor using it, and not only over night... I popped out earlier for a couple of hours, I turned it all off then.

From what I remember from many years ago, the only valid reason to leave a computer on was wear & tear on the hard disk, but I'm talking like 10-15 years ago when everyone was jealous if you had a 10MB hard disk.
They used to take ages (relative to today) to spin up (& down) to operating speed.

I can't see it doing any harm at all to switch your modem off, mine has been constantly on & off for the past year or so.

MatTman
04-10-2004, 10:45
correct me if i am wrong , years ago it was the accepted theory that repeated power cycling would cause problems , with more modern technologies isnt the reverse now true ??????????? :angel:to put it simply, NO!!

Stuart
04-10-2004, 11:13
correct me if i am wrong , years ago it was the accepted theory that repeated power cycling would cause problems , with more modern technologies isnt the reverse now true ??????????? :angel:No, the power surge caused when switching something on can still cause things such as internal fuses to blow (not the one on the plug). Even if switching on/off continually doesn't blow it immediately, it will weaken the fuse.

It may be different with Modems, but I was told by NTL to leave my STB plugged in over night, as they do occassionally do maintenance on it. Admittedly, that was probably more to do with software downloads than anything, so may not apply to SACMs.

As for the rest of my equipment, I do switch it off when I am not using it. Basically because when it's all switched on, my computer system (and the various devices around it) generate a lot of heat, and can use up to three quarters of a kilowatt. So, cost is part of it.

Carth
04-10-2004, 11:31
what does OFF mean ??? :D

MikeyB
04-10-2004, 12:59
Save electricity??? (what little it uses!)
I have never understood why people leave computer equipment off when they are not using it.D'oh, 1st let me correct my previous post, should have read:
I have never understood why people leave computer equipment on when they are not using it.

Anyways.... A question for those who leave their computers on all the time?
Do you all leave your TV, DVD, HIFI, toaster, etc switched on 24/7.
Some things like VCR are in stand by mode as they have no "real" off switch, and I can't reach the plugs behind the TV.
I switch my TV, DVD, HiFi, off at the front (not into stand by) if I'm not going to be watching anything.

But ALL of my computer equipment gets shut down, and the powered off at the mains socket when I'm not using it.

Halcyon
04-10-2004, 15:03
I turn it off as its also a fire risk.

MikeyB
04-10-2004, 22:34
I turn it off as its also a fire risk.

Actually, that was something else I thought of driving home from work this evening.

nffc
04-10-2004, 23:58
D'oh, 1st let me correct my previous post, should have read:
I have never understood why people leave computer equipment on when they are not using it.

Some things like VCR are in stand by mode as they have no "real" off switch, and I can't reach the plugs behind the TV.
I switch my TV, DVD, HiFi, off at the front (not into stand by) if I'm not going to be watching anything.

But ALL of my computer equipment gets shut down, and the powered off at the mains socket when I'm not using it.
ATX PCs don't have a power switch...

Steve H
05-10-2004, 01:11
Less chance of fire if you turn it off, so I'd turn it off... I do.

Carth
05-10-2004, 10:24
OH MY !! totaly unrelated to the thread, but that is brilliant pic you have as a siggy Steve H :tu:

gonna be chuckling at that one all day at work, thanks :p:

SMHarman
05-10-2004, 15:16
D'oh, 1st let me correct my previous post, should have read:

TV - Standby, if I'm standing I may switch this off at the switch on the front,
DVD - Standby,
HIFI Off or Standby depending on the product, e.g. my
toaster - well if you left that on it would catch fire, but I leave it switched on and plugged in like the kettle and the coffee machine and the dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, cable modem, router, server PC (I turn off the main desktop probably a couple of nights a week), the printers all go into powersave mode as does the screen and the speakers.