PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Battlefront and NTL

Tir
02-10-2004, 19:51
Hi folks,

It seems that more than several NTL users, myself included, are having issues when trying to play SWBF online. Essentially when we log on to Gamespy we can only see a small number of servers available compared to other users.

I have run check after check to try and discover what the problem could be. I can ping, traceroute and pathping the dedicated servers set up by my friends. The results show no particular problems on any of these accounts however when I log on to Gamespy the server is not visible.

As I have mentioned there are a few people who have the same problem but inexplicably some of them after deleting the latest patch software and re-installing it several times managed to connect and see all the servers. I of course have tried this countless times with no joy. I even thought that it was possible I was constantly downloading a faulty patch so I got a copy of the patch from a friend that I know is working and installed it to my memory card. Guess what I still can only see a fraction of the servers available to everyone else.

There seems to be no reason to this problem. The NTL users I know experiencing problems are from different areas of the UK and are all on varying setups. I know of one other person in the Belfast region who has exactly the same problem. We have tried a direct connection to the PS2 to rule out firewall or router issues but this has only the same result. I can connect to every other PS2 online title without a problem so what makes this one different?

I have it narrowed down to three potential problems:

1. Incompatible Hardware with patch in either PS2 or Network adapter. I think this is very unlikely.

2. Problem with Gamespy although this I find unlikely as I have used other PS2 online titles with Gamespy and have had no problems.

3. A problem with NTL's regional network i.e here in Belfast. I have to say I think this is the most likely of the three.

I was wondering if anyone here could shed any light on this matter or offer any suggestions.

TIA

Tir

mcbazza
17-10-2004, 11:19
Ok, I know Tir as we're in the same PS2 clan (www.oldageplaystationers.com (http://www.oldageplaystationers.com/) - shameless plug!), and I know a little bit about networks, packet scanning and the like.

So, I connected by PS2 up to my PC via ICS, and packet scanned the connection. (For the record, I'm with Bulldog Communications, have no issues with running/playing SWBF online, and normally have my PS2 connected to my router, with the IP of the PS2 static, and defined as being in the routers DMZ.)

Then, Tir did the same. As he's not too au fait with packet scanning, I connected into his PC via Remote Assistance and took control of Ethereal (the packet probing software that I used) while he controlled the PS2 for me.

Here's a summary of my findings (as posted to other websites):-

1. It's not the patch that the PS2 downloads prior to starting the game. NTL does use transparent proxies/caches, but, I've sent the patch from my PS2 (not on NTL, and has no issues) to a NTL user, still no joy.

2. It's not the communication between the PS2/game and the gamespy servers. Was able to see the traffic going back and forth.

3. I was (wrongly, it seems) assuming that the PS2 would contact the master server (which holds the list of servers available), which would then give a list of games available, which would then be contacted by the PS2, these servers then give a 'hello' back, and that could have been where the problem was. Well, if this is the case, then the master server is only handing over the IPs for about 3-5 games - which I know for certain, as I've seen the packets. It's totally different when I scan my PS2, I get a whole range of IPs (game servers), over a wide range of UDP ports. When I packet scanned my NTL buddies connection, it was only communicating with other servers over one UDP port, which I find very strange, and could be the source of the problem.

4. The data connections are initiated by the PS2. I tried scanning/probing a game server hosted on NTL to see if the ports were being blocked by NTL. But, because the data must be initated by the PS2, I was unable to get any packets through. This doesn't mean that NTL are blocking any of the packets. But, it can't be ruled out either.

5. If NTL were blocking specific ports into their network, then this would mean that NTL users could only see NTL hosted games/servers. But, that's not the case. The games that NTL users can see are seemingly random.

Baz

Tir
17-10-2004, 13:18
Does anybody have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

What about the NTL Support Team that frequent the forums is there nothing you can do?

Or will I get the standard NTL answer that I must take the PS2 Gaming Pack before they will look at the problem.

As it stands it looks like ADSL may be my only option after all why should I pay £37.99 a month for a service that as far as I can see does not work properly and even worse they want to charge me £2 extra a month for the privilege.

bravo30
28-01-2005, 22:04
this is my first post on your forum but i think any help with this problem needs to be passed around.
i too have come across this problem with my brothers connection he is on supanet though
however i have fixed it by downloading the patch using his ps2 on my connection then when he connects using his connection all is well
it seems as if ntl and supanet and maybe more isps are corrupting or in some way stopping the patch installing correctly on the ps2 i tried coping the patch from my ps2 to his but this didnt work so if you know a person near where you live with a adsl connection see if they will let you download the patch to your ps2 using there connection it cant help and it may work it did eith my brothers ps2 on supanet.

its worth a try you may get some swbf online play again...
i hope it works for all who read this. ;)

simplekid
15-06-2005, 14:05
I know this is quite an old thread, but it featured heavily on google search, so I'm putting this info up to hopefully help others.

My friend has a ps2 slimline with battlefront patch working perfectly online on ntl 2mb. I have silver ps2 (not so slimline) with battlefront not working at all online (can't see any servers, don't get any server filter facility). Again, I'm on NTL 2mb - we are both in the same postcode area - he lives 2 minutes away.

Why does one work and not the other? I tried absolutely everything to get my copy working. I tried deleting all network settings, system settings, deleting any reference on memory card to battlefront. Tried different memory card. Tried d/loading patch by taking my ps2 round to his house and d/l on his connection. No Joy. Even tried copying his patch from his memory card to mine. No Joy. Even tried changing the time on my ps2.

Last night, I changed my ps2 time to my mobile time - which is spot on to GMT and downloaded (for the last time) the battlefront patch once again. Kazzam. I ran it and saw all the servers.

My advice, call the speaking clock (123 on your phone) and set your PS2 time to that. Hopefully that'll help.

I think personally, however, is there are many un-updated DNS caches out there distributing corrupt patches and its pot luck you get the right one. Try the time thing though. I searched high and low for info on this, but this worked for me.

Good luck. If that don't work BF2 will be out soon! ;-)

foreverknight
11-07-2005, 17:51
i know this is a little late and this all my just be coincedence but ive been trying to get on to the battlefront servers since i got my net adaptor, ive been downloading the patch soooooooo many times but today it worked also today i got my official pin come through the post from game central i registed my pin etc to set up my full game central acount, deleted the patch for battlefront off my memory card then downloaded it again then BAM it works every server out there showing up. now i cant see how registering with game centeral would cause this to work but as i said ive been trying for ages to play battlefront and now i can, i cant see them being related but im glad i can now play my fav game with others :D