PDA

View Full Version : 00-00-00-00 ISP-side IP address

bardsleyh
01-10-2004, 22:44
First-time NTL user trying to register without the CD, using my laptop via ethernet cable (provided by NTL) into cable modem, under Windows XP. Most of the modem lights are busy flashing but ipconfig/all always shows Ethernet adaptor IP address of all zeroes and won't connect to Registration site address. I have tried ipconfig/release and /reset, and turning off the cable modem several times and let it settle, but no change. Also tried alternative ethernet cable (but not USB as I want to connect the modem to a broadband router via ethernet, and anyway haven't got the USB drivers as they failed to deliver the CD on installation). So what is most likely cause of all zeroes ISP-side ip address?

Nikko
01-10-2004, 23:47
type it into a browser

Chris W
02-10-2004, 00:16
Check that you have the dchp client running.... on xp go into control panel, administrative tools, then services and it should be there. if it is running, try stopping and restarting it.

Also, check the network connections properties to make sure that the 0.0.0.0 ip address isn't specified.

bardsleyh
02-10-2004, 16:31
Thanks for your advice Monkeybreath but no joy even after stopping and restarting the DHCP server. I have a LAN-side IP address generated by DHCP but no ISP-side one. The sync light is mainly on and off and the 'ready' one completely off. However NTL are saying that there is a problem with registrations at the moment so I'm hoping things will look better when NTL system is back.

Chris W
02-10-2004, 17:45
Thanks for your advice Monkeybreath but no joy even after stopping and restarting the DHCP server. I have a LAN-side IP address generated by DHCP but no ISP-side one. The sync light is mainly on and off and the 'ready' one completely off. However NTL are saying that there is a problem with registrations at the moment so I'm hoping things will look better when NTL system is back.

If the modem is not locking onto a signal, this is not caused by the registration problems. Contact tech support to get someone to have a look at this.