PDA

View Full Version : NTL New customer!!!

angry@ntl-taff
01-10-2004, 16:18
hello not used this site for a while lol...

Okay this is the problem we lost our service just after last christmas due to there automated billing system loosing our account. The only way we could get reconnected was as new customers.

Soo we waited the 2 mnths and were succesfully reconnected as new customers with a new account.

Ntl did not and do not recieve as i understand any old hardware(modem) on closure of an account..(CS informed me off this today)

TBH i should have dealt with this when we were reinstated 6 mnths ago, but was just happy to be reconnected. (we reconnected with our originall hardware).

I rang CS today only to be told tht there is no fault with our existing modem so i could only have new modem at the cost of £150. So u see this is thing surely as we were made new customers we should have been entitled to new hardware as well. Just like a New Customer who has never used NTL for internet access, so they would not have had a modem or a customer who decided to stop there internet account , but lets say 6 mnths later they decided to have the service again and any old hardware was disposed off prior to there new service would also get new hardware(modem). Whats the difference and why wont they give us 1.. I merely want what all new customers are entitled too,..

please help ne1...

Derek
01-10-2004, 16:28
Where in the country are you?

SMHarman
01-10-2004, 16:31
Whats wrong with the current hardware?

If you are talking about a Cable modem, then the 120 and 200 are really not much different. Both silver, just one has colour coded plugs. The subtly different hardware inside means the new one is slightly better futureproofed, but that does not impact todays operation and the old ones would be swapped out if such improvements were needed.

angry@ntl-taff
01-10-2004, 16:47
thx for those quick responses...

i im in wales m8..

I know tht theres not a lot off difference in the modems except for the futureproof bit but thts not the point.

The point is i was made a new customer and as such should have been entitled to new hardware do you not think!!!

scrotnig
01-10-2004, 16:58
£150 for a modem?

That's the charge for a set top box, I am 99% certain that's incorrect.

angry@ntl-taff
01-10-2004, 17:03
Yeah come too think of it 150 is a bit steep when PC world sell cable modems for under 60.

i am just repeating wot the young lady @ CS told me..(caitlin)

i only want a new modem but dont see why i should have too pay for at all considering my circumstances.

So MArk B u are saying tht maybe the CS representative was confused...

Is it worth me getting in touch again...with CS tht is?

bob_builder
01-10-2004, 17:12
Ntl did not and do not recieve as i understand any old hardware(modem) on closure of an account..(CS informed me off this today)
But they should...

You are only renting the cable modem, STB, etc. from NTL and it should be returned at the end of the contract.

angry@ntl-taff
01-10-2004, 17:23
and thts wot it thought as well until i had all this bother at the start of the year, tht the modem was rented...

I think it may be because its been rented for more than a year after that the produsct is no good to them as they have updated stock...

Which makes me wonder and even more angrier at ntl..

If theyd just bleedin change it then there wouldnt be a problem.. And if it is only rented then i should have there latest product anyway. Cmon NTL its not gonna be long and the damned thing will be placed in a MUSEUM.

Chris W
01-10-2004, 17:33
Seems to me the person who is telling you a new cable modem will be £150 is talking tosh...

i premuse you are having a problem with broadband so you spoke to technical support....?

If so, and it is a modem issue, they would have raised an engineer request. The only time when customers pay for this is when they have damaged the cable modem (and the charge is sometimes waived). Even if this is the case, the charge is £50 not £150.

People who have had services for a long time would have bought their own modems, for example a 3com CMX or Tailfin. This will still not result in a charge for an engineer, as they will be given an ntl rental modem free of charge if this is required anyway.

Oh and lastly... the cable modems cost less than a tenner ;)

EDIT:

If theyd just bleedin change it then there wouldnt be a problem.. And if it is only rented then i should have there latest product anyway. Cmon NTL its not gonna be long and the damned thing will be placed in a MUSEUM.
old does not mean bad, i use a 3com CMX and it is great :)

angry@ntl-taff
01-10-2004, 17:40
SHEESH...SHEESH...

thx m8 less than a tenner eh!

Sry but u premised wrong.. I dont have a problem with my BB connection in fact i'd say its damned good but coulod be better with a newer modem....My problem lies with ntl who always seem to be obstructive!!!

I MERELY WANT MY ISP TO UPDATE MY 2 YRS OLD RENTAL MODEM...AND WAS TOLD I COULD HAVE 1 BUT IT WOULD COST £150. ? HEREIN MY PROBLEM OCCURS.

also if u read the start of the post u find out tht i have been treated as an existing customer even though i was made a new customer because of and automated billing error.

angry@ntl-taff
01-10-2004, 17:46
hmm this post is offering up a load of other issues...

Not only NTL wont honour there error and treat me as a NEW CUSTOMER to the fullest. But they lie about costs to put me off and were rude on the phone which made the conversation a little irrate to say the least which resulted in them discontinuing the call....

Then i find out the true cost of MODEMS and tht its RENTED .

I think its maybe time to email OFCOM because they have had a history with being rude to us and making constant errors..

There internet is great but there Staff are sad.....in my opinion so far!!!

Derek
01-10-2004, 17:57
If you are in Wales you can PM me your account details and I'll check into this for you.

Something sounds a bit strange about it all.

Chris W
01-10-2004, 17:57

careful! i am close to revoking the offer i was going to make to have a look at this for you.... i am a "sad" member of staff after all.

and also please don't shout in your previous post... not necessary...

That aside, why will your connection be better with a new modem? Even the oldest 3com modems can handle the connection as well as the newest ambit 200 modems. Please justify why you need (note need, not want) a new modem.

PM me with some details (postcode and house number/ modem mac address / public ip address/ home phone number anything like that will do) and i will have a look into what has been happening.

scrotnig
01-10-2004, 18:00
Ok I think a couple of issues need clearing up here.

Replacement modems aren't £150, they are £50 as far as I know.

However...when you connect to ntl, there is no guarantee of 'brand new' equipment. Most cable TV customers get reconditioned set top boxes. With ntl you are buying the service, not the actual modem. If there's an existing modem in situ and it can provide the service properly, then that's what ntl will do.

If the service is actually faulty then they should send out an engineer (if required) to investigate and possibly replace the modem IF it is found to be at fault.

However, if you just THINK the service would be better with a new modem, then it will cost you £50 to have a new one fitted, as ntl will deem that there is no service requirement to replace the modem, and it's therefore an 'elective' replacement.

Hope that clears everything up.

almac
01-10-2004, 18:02
Are you having a laugh ? You expect ntl to come along and upgrade your perfectly fine modem for free because you beleive it will be better :shocked: You have one that works fine so stop having a go at ntl for for taking the p out you when its obvious your doing the same to them expecting things for nothing. By the way my cars 2 years old now should i contact seat and tell them they should upgrade it for free ? :D What makes you so special compared to all the other ntl customers who some have even older working modems than you ?

scrotnig
01-10-2004, 18:02
hmm this post is offering up a load of other issues...
No we're not.

Someone's made a mistake in misquoting you a price, which is not acceptable, however, branding all ntl staff sad is not going to endear you to getting help from the presumably 'sad' ntl staff who post on this board......in their own time, I might add!

SMHarman
01-10-2004, 18:13
Are you having a laugh ? You expect ntl to come along and upgrade your perfectly fine modem for free because you beleive it will be better :shocked: You have one that works fine so stop having a go at ntl for for taking the p out you when its obvious your doing the same to them expecting things for nothing. :tu: :clap:
By the way my cars 2 years old now should i contact seat and tell them they should upgrade it for free ? :D
But a bad analagy, unless your car is on a lease rental from SEAT they don't still own it, they are not responsible for it's maintainance or coming out and fixing it when it goes wrong.
What makes you so special compared to all the other ntl customers who some have even older working modems than you ?
Especially those on their own purchased modems who have just had the rental discount taken away, yet are still using the network on their modem!

angry@ntl-taff
01-10-2004, 18:46
right look..

my beef is going back last year as previously stated on a number of occasions in this post .

NTL deleted or passed on our account automatcally, which resulted in not having an account at all for our BB. After a lot of complaining to NTL and to OFCOM NTL agreed to put us back ON.

So the only way they could put us back on was as NEW CUSTOMERS.

I merely want wot all new customers get . Nothing else...(summit for nuttin)

my comment about NTL staff being sad was aimed at the CS staff not the tech support guys. I have had help off the tech guys b4 and they no there stuff. My wife even has a direct phone number of 1 of your Team Leaders. Please dont be upset by my anger and frustrations lol.

scrotnig
01-10-2004, 18:50
There are customer service staff and other non technical staff on here.

You are really NOT doing yourself any favours.

As I have said earlier, new customers do NOT necessarily get a brand new modem, if one is in situ it will be used if possible. You have no entitlement to a new modem without paying for it, and frankly if I'm honest your posts have just about done away with any last vestiges of hope on that one since we're clearly all too 'sad' to help.

I'd respectfully suggest you calm down a little and think about both what you are requesting and what you are saying. It may be unintentional but you're sending out a rather aggressive message.

angry@ntl-taff
01-10-2004, 19:15
OK look if i have upset anyone then i am sorry..

And yes my posts have been a tad aggressive sry for tht aswell.

I only wanted NTL to supply me with a more uptodate MODEM .

And as it turned out tht the 'modem is leased' by me i thought aswell as the fact tht they never supplied 1 to a 'new customer' would add a little weight to the ask.

I didnt expect to get into a big arguement about it TBH. And as far as the comment 'sad'' ntl staff' this was only directed to the person i spoke too at 15.10 today and the line manager she asked for advice. Which turned out to be the wrong advice.

As i have used this site previously to solve connection problems with great success i might add..i thought i would post the question.

As far as NTL were concerned when we were re-connected we never had a modem . I told them we did. Because i am uusually a nice guy and All i wanted was my internet back. (My hardware was left the same as it was the day it was disconnected from your end.) So all u had to do was flick a switch so to speak at your end and it was back up and running.

The modem didnt have to be new i merely asked for wot a NEW CUSTOMER would get..

scrotnig
01-10-2004, 19:27
OK look if i have upset anyone then i am sorry..

And yes my posts have been a tad aggressive sry for tht aswell.

I only wanted NTL to supply me with a more uptodate MODEM .

And as it turned out tht the 'modem is leased' by me i thought aswell as the fact tht they never supplied 1 to a 'new customer' would add a little weight to the ask.

I didnt expect to get into a big arguement about it TBH. And as far as the comment 'sad'' ntl staff' this was only directed to the person i spoke too at 15.10 today and the line manager she asked for advice. Which turned out to be the wrong advice.

As i have used this site previously to solve connection problems with great success i might add..i thought i would post the question.

As far as NTL were concerned when we were re-connected we never had a modem . I told them we did. Because i am uusually a nice guy and All i wanted was my internet back. (My hardware was left the same as it was the day it was disconnected from your end.) So all u had to do was flick a switch so to speak at your end and it was back up and running.

The modem didnt have to be new i merely asked for wot a NEW CUSTOMER would get..
Apologies accepted and we'll lay that bit to rest I think.

As to the modem, the remote reconnection will have been done because that often suits the customer best. Getting someone online right there and then is great service, and it is done to provide a good customer experience...nothing else.

If that modem is providing you with a poor connection, then naturally change it free of charge, but otherwise they won't. Remember, what you're paying for is the connection, not the modem, and ntl will maintain, repair and if needs be replace that modem for the lifetime of the connection with no additional charges. What they won't do is swap a perfectly good modem for another one free of charge, it just isn't good business sense.

You have, in effect, got what a new customer would get...a decent broadband service that functions well and gives you the service you asked for. That's spot on in my book.

angry@ntl-taff
01-10-2004, 19:39
jeez tht was hard work lol...

tht was all i wanted a straight answer thx MARK.

If i want a better modem then i will have to put my hand me pocket then.. Looks like it was my fault for saying i already had 1 when they re-connected me shoulda just shut me gob hehe...

But it still dosn't mean tht CS were allowed to lie to me about costs. I dont have a set-top box and tht should have been on the screen in front of CS when i called. And to disconnect my call when the conversation got a little loud on both parts...was just plain rude...as i never swore or became abusive.

But no matter its obvious know tht this is going no where.

Thx again MArk....