PDA

View Full Version : From STB to modem ??

scoobydoo[uk]
30-09-2004, 07:55
Ive currently got my Television and 1mb connection going through my STB, ive had the pace swapped out for the new samsung.

But.

If im downloading or using the internet heavily, the STB box is very very unresponsive, and ive been getting higher pings, and packet loss.

The question is (3 really) ...

1) Should i ask for a seperate modem for my broadband connection?,
2) Who do I contact to get to install a modem?
3) How long will it take for a engineer to come out and install one?

Thanks.

scrotnig
30-09-2004, 10:17
']Ive currently got my Television and 1mb connection going through my STB, ive had the pace swapped out for the new samsung.

But.

If im downloading or using the internet heavily, the STB box is very very unresponsive, and ive been getting higher pings, and packet loss.

The question is (3 really) ...

1) Should i ask for a seperate modem for my broadband connection?,
2) Who do I contact to get to install a modem?
3) How long will it take for a engineer to come out and install one?

Thanks.
1) Yes
2) Customer services, or me, since I'm guessing you must be in an ex-Cable and Wireless area.
3) Usually within a week to ten days depending on your area, possibly sooner.

andrew_wallasey
30-09-2004, 10:23
My mate in CH44 is having the same problem with his new samsung box.

What details do you need to get him swapped over to a SACM?

scoobydoo[uk]
30-09-2004, 10:50
Spoke to technical support and i couldnt believe it, a engineer came out within 30mins!!!.

Im getting a cable modem installed, said it was a problem with some boxes, and a modem would sort out the problem.

Should be here within 7 days :)

samuelnw53
30-09-2004, 13:51
I too am suffering speed issues since Samsung stb was installed, contacted NTL tech help line to see if i could have a SACM was told to stop using kaaza and i tunes, he was of no help at all.

samuelnw53
30-09-2004, 15:27
Got through to customer services ,nice man said they could fit new SACM next Tuesday,i have had a STB for so long now and have got well used to the settings etc, someone has told me there are lots of flashing lights, is that true if so what do they mean. I am a silver surfer what i need to know is ,what different settings will i have to make to my network connections etc.?;):tu:

BigChin
30-09-2004, 15:38
I am a silver surfer what i need to know is ,what different settings will i have to make to my network connections etc.?;):tu:The process should not be too difficult. Once the boxes have been swapped you'll need to register the SACM (you can do it from the Broadjump CD provided but most people would recommend using: https://autoreg.autoregister.net/ )

I swapped over a few weeks ago. Had to phone up for my PIN number, and then had a problem with it needing to be validated which was sorted out by the helpful NTL workers on this very board. Then I had to phone up again when I received the bill and realised the billing department hadn't been informed of the changes (do the different NTL departments ever talk to eachother?)
Hopefully it'll all go a little smoother for you...

But on a positive note since I've had the SACM installed it hasn't crashed once (and its been pushed hard), I haven't noticed any packet loss, and speeds are what they should be. :)

homealone
30-09-2004, 15:46
Got through to customer services ,nice man said they could fit new SACM next Tuesday,i have had a STB for so long now and have got well used to the settings etc, someone has told me there are lots of flashing lights, is that true if so what do they mean. I am a silver surfer what i need to know is ,what different settings will i have to make to my network connections etc.?;):tu:

Hi Sam

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/lights.html#ltntl100

will tell you what the lights mean

and if you follow the instructions for manual registration in this link

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/register.html#ntlreg

you should be up & running. :)

<edit> pretty much what BigChin already said ;)