PDA

View Full Version : Multi-tools

Mal
12-08-2003, 17:16
This may be a stupid question, but what viewpoint do the police take over multi-tools, as shown in the attachment? (The ones where it folds around to be a pair of pliers and they have tools in the handles).

I'm just asking, because the one I've got has a very decent blade on it. Could it be classed as a weapon by the police? Or do they take it as a tool of the trade?

It's a dumb question that just came inot my head, there's no meaning behind me asking.

Thanks

Ramrod
12-08-2003, 17:24
I know a lot of people who carry those as they find them invaluable for work (electritians etc.).
Some even carry them on their belts in the leather pouches that usually come with the tool.
I think that if you have a good reason to carry one you will be all right but if you have one down the club on a Friday night the situation would change.

Tricky
12-08-2003, 17:32
On a similar subject I once boarded a flight to Edinburgh and on the seat was a full blown leatherman multitool. This was post 9-11 - Handed it to the stewardess who explained that an engineer had been changing a bulb!!!

paulyoung666
12-08-2003, 17:44
Originally posted by Ramrod
I know a lot of people who carry those as they find them invaluable for work (electritians etc.).
Some even carry them on their belts in the leather pouches that usually come with the tool.
I think that if you have a good reason to carry one you will be all right but if you have one down the club on a Friday night the situation would change.

not far wrong there i reckon ;)

Jerrek
12-08-2003, 18:07
I carry my Swiss Army knife on me at all times. I take it you're not allowed to carry knives on you?

paulyoung666
12-08-2003, 18:10
not over here your not , no way

Jerrek
12-08-2003, 18:11
I would hate that. I like carrying a switchblade on me too. Heh.

Ramrod
12-08-2003, 18:11
Originally posted by Jerrek
I carry my Swiss Army knife on me at all times. I take it you're not allowed to carry knives on you? I think that you are not allowed to carry a knife with a blade over a certain length.
....and we can carry swiss army knives......

zoombini
12-08-2003, 19:10
AFAIKR NO, your not allowed to carry swiss army knifes.
It is an offence to carry a knife without lawful authority or reasonable excuse.

If your a carpet fitter and have a stanley knife in your back pocket while walking home from work then you are reasonably able to claim that it was for your job and no further action would be taken (most likely) however if you still had that same knife in your pocket when you went to the pub you would not have a reasonable excuse for having it there and liable to prosecution.

OR thats what I have been told in the past.

Does not stop me carrying my multitool when I go out (not to the pub though, I have a machette for that - lol).

Perhaps one of the members that work for the police would care to comment?

Ramrod
12-08-2003, 20:02
Originally posted by zoombini
AFAIKR NO, your not allowed to carry swiss army knifes.
It is an offence to carry a knife without lawful authority or reasonable excuse.

If your a carpet fitter and have a stanley knife in your back pocket while walking home from work then you are reasonably able to claim that it was for your job and no further action would be taken (most likely) however if you still had that same knife in your pocket when you went to the pub you would not have a reasonable excuse for having it there and liable to prosecution.

OR thats what I have been told in the past.

Does not stop me carrying my multitool when I go out (not to the pub though, I have a machette for that - lol).

Perhaps one of the members that work for the police would care to comment? I am sure that you can carry a penknife like a swiss army knife:confused:
*edit* just found this (http://www.bkcg.co.uk/guide/law.html). Commonsense really:)

Theodoric
12-08-2003, 21:23
Originally posted by Ramrod
I am sure that you can carry a penknife like a swiss army knife:confused:
*edit* just found this (http://www.bkcg.co.uk/guide/law.html). Commonsense really:)
That was my impression, that you could carry a knife with a small blade.

I always take my Swiss army knife on holiday because it's ideal for those little repairs you always seem to need to carry out on holiday, but I always put it in the hold luggage.

On the other hand, airlines do seem to go OTT with sharp objects nowadays. I have a small knife with a 1 1/4 inch blade on my key chain and a few years ago this was spotted on the X-ray machine and I had to take it back to the check in, put it in my hand luggage and check in the hand luggage as additional hold luggage.

Of course where money is concerned the airlines seem to undergo a rapid change of heart.

"The new Terrorist Multi-Weapon! Comes disguised as a bottle of whisky. This novel weapon can be used as a very effective club or, if you break of the bottom, it makes an ideal stabbing weapon! Acceptable to all major airlines."

Lord Nikon
12-08-2003, 23:13
On the subject of multitools....

Victorinox has released a couple of computer oriented ones..

Cybertool 39 and Cybertool 41

:D

danielf
12-08-2003, 23:37
Originally posted by Theodoric

Of course where money is concerned the airlines seem to undergo a rapid change of heart.

"The new Terrorist Multi-Weapon! Comes disguised as a bottle of whisky. This novel weapon can be used as a very effective club or, if you break of the bottom, it makes an ideal stabbing weapon! Acceptable to all major airlines."

Good point! Shortly after 11/9 they wouldn't allow me to take a squash racket in my hand luggage, as it was a weapon. It's a bloody squash racket. Not a baseball/cricket bat...:mad:

I then considered the fact that all martial arts experts should not be allowed to fly again, on account of their body being a weapon. I never thought about the whiskey bottle, but that is a very good point indeed.

Xaccers
13-08-2003, 06:11
I have a wind proof lighter, looks like a little blow torch.
Now I would not like to go up against someone wielding one of those!

zoombini
13-08-2003, 08:13
Thanks for that correction Ramrod, I looked but could not find UK law on the matter. Now that does make me a lot happier to be able to carry my penknife with me, esp on scouting days etc.
Where would a scout be without a penknife?...

I also have a 7" blade knife that I attach across my bouyancy aid whn kayaking, which according to that is still legal as long as I only wear it then.

Xaccers, I want one of thos lighters too, theyre neat are'nt they!
Problem is, I dont smoke...I just like the flamethrower...lol

ntluser
13-08-2003, 16:00
It's a bit farcical really because virtually any object in the wrong hands can be used as a weapon.

With the right unarmed combat training you don't need to carry a weapon of any kind...you are one.

I suppose the police can only seek to remove obvious weapons like guns, coshes and some types of knife but there will always be some cases where criminals turn an ordinary everyday object into a lethal weapon.

Nidge
15-08-2003, 11:36
The Swiss army knifes are a god send, I always carry one because they are a multi-tool, they have a decent screw driver, bottle opener etc etc.

zoombini
15-08-2003, 11:57
Originally posted by Nidge
bottle opener etc etc.

Ah, there you have it, the single most important feature that any multi tool/knife can have EVER!

Ramrod
15-08-2003, 13:29
Ah, there you have it, the single most important feature that any multi tool/knife can have EVER! I've got one on my key-ring:)
In fact my wedding present from my wife was a bottle opener (stylish/rare/expensive):D

zoombini
15-08-2003, 16:12
What, the wife or the keyring?

Ramrod
15-08-2003, 16:30
What, the wife or the keyring?
Both:D

Lord Nikon
15-08-2003, 17:31
I wonder....

Perhaps there is a valid reason to carry a knife in a car, or on your person in general.. If a car is involved in an accident and the seatbelt jams, at least if you have a knife on the keys to the car you can cut yourself free of the belt.

MovedGoalPosts
15-08-2003, 18:25
If memory serves (and dont rely on this in court!), for the knife to be legal if carried without any specific legitimate reason, it has to have a blade of less than 3" length, that can be folded away. But things like flicknives are banned.

Longer knives can be carried, but the person then having it must be able to demonstrate, to a court if necessary, the reasonable purpose of having the longer knife on thier person. Thus, it might be reasonable to have a 7" bladed fishing knife when you are sitting next to the river bank. If you still had this knife onl your belt when you walked into the supermarket on your way home (and all the other fishing kit was left in your car while you shopped) that is going to be very iffy.

Bear in mind that the carrying of knifes is specifically dealt with by legislation. There are separate, additional rules for offensive weapons.

Just because the knife blade you carry is of a legal length, it does not mean that the offensive weapon rules could not still apply, dependant on circumstances, in which the carrier is found with it.

Consider that a weapon can be something originally designed as a weapon, i.e. a gun (and as such you will aloways be on a sticky wicket if you are currying a purpose designed weapon), or it can be adapted and made into a weapon, i.e. a stick that is sharpened into a point, or it can simply be an object picket up and used as a weapon, i.e. a lump of wood. Kives can easily be argued as part of any of these classifications, so even if you carry your folding 3" knife, your reasons for having it must be reasonable.

*edit - weapon explaination added

Ramrod
15-08-2003, 19:04
Originally posted by MovedGoalPosts
If memory serves (and dont rely on this in court!), for the knife to be legal if carried without any specific legitimate reason, it has to have a blade of less than 3" length, that can be folded away. But things like flicknives are banned.

Longer knives can be carried, but the person then having it must be able to demonstrate, to a court if necessary, the reasonable purpose of having the longer knife on thier person. Thus, it might be reasonable to have a 7" bladed fishing knife when you are sitting next to the river bank. If you still had this knife onl your belt when you walked into the supermarket on your way home (and all the other fishing kit was left in your car while you shopped) that is going to be very iffy.

Bear in mind that the carrying of knifes is specifically dealt with by legislation. There are separate, additional rules for offensive weapons.

Just because the knife blade you carry is of a legal length, it does not mean that the offensive weapon rules could not still apply, dependant on circumstances, in which the carrier is found with it.

Consider that a weapon can be something originally designed as a weapon, i.e. a gun (and as such you will aloways be on a sticky wicket if you are currying a purpose designed weapon), or it can be adapted and made into a weapon, i.e. a stick that is sharpened into a point, or it can simply be an object picket up and used as a weapon, i.e. a lump of wood. Kives can easily be argued as part of any of these classifications, so even if you carry your folding 3" knife, your reasons for having it must be reasonable.

*edit - weapon explaination added
Did you read What I posted earlier? (http://www.bkcg.co.uk/guide/law.html):dozey:

zoombini
15-08-2003, 21:26
In the car I have one of those emergency hammers stuck under the steering column.
In the event of an accident it can smash glass and cut seatbelts with ease, no need to feel for knife in pockets etc, just pull it from its holder. It only cost £1 and it should do the job well (I'm not testing it on "my" seatbelts!).

I have been carrying a multitool an awful lot over the past year or so, its ever so handy to quickly pull out a pair of pliers to tighten up a kids bike brakes or a scredriver to fix a plug thats coming undone & unsafe etc.

blackthorn
15-08-2003, 21:41
My dad lives about 200yards from me and I got pulled by the police when I borrowed his sledgehammer to knock some fence posts in.
They told me, that i was to put the hammer end in a carrier bag and carry it from the hammer end as well.

paulyoung666
15-08-2003, 21:58
Originally posted by blackthorn
My dad lives about 200yards from me and I got pulled by the police when I borrowed his sledgehammer to knock some fence posts in.
They told me, that i was to put the hammer end in a carrier bag and carry it from the hammer end as well.

fair play by the police as i see it , look at it from there point of view they do not know if you are about to cave someones head in with it , if you are seen carrying it in a nonoffensive way then you are less likely to be going to be going to do someone or something some damage , at least that is the way i see it ;)

blackthorn
15-08-2003, 22:09
Sorry, i wasnt knocking what the police done, it was only after they pulled me i realised how suss it looked.
I totally agree them pointing it out to me.

Theodoric
19-08-2003, 19:04
Ah, there you have it, the single most important feature that any multi tool/knife can have EVER!
Can you buy spare parts? I have lost the little toothpick from my Swiss Army knife. You may laugh, but it's one of those little, niggling, annoying things (the loss, that is, not the toothpick).

Chris
19-08-2003, 19:17
Originally posted by Jerrek
I would hate that. I like carrying a switchblade on me too. Heh.

Ah, yes. Your famous right to bear arms, is it? Just in case the British decide to invade. :rolleyes: ;)

Mal
19-08-2003, 19:51
Originally posted by towny
Ah, yes. Your famous right to bear arms, is it? Just in case the British decide to invade. :rolleyes: ;)
Do they have that right in Canada as well? :)

idi banashapan
19-08-2003, 21:13
sorry - i only read the first couple of posts on this thread, so it may have been covered, but isn't it a lockable / static blade that makes it an offensive weapon? If its a folding blade, it's ok???

Ramrod
19-08-2003, 21:34
Originally posted by Bender
sorry - i only read the first couple of posts on this thread, so it may have been covered, but isn't it a lockable / static blade that makes it an offensive weapon? If its a folding blade, it's ok??? read post #10

Jonboy
19-08-2003, 21:46
i have lost the tooth pick from mine as well the thing is i have never used it it must have grew legs and run off as all my family
all say no one has touched it :mad: but someone is tellin porkies
and it aint me

Chris
19-08-2003, 23:06
Originally posted by Mal
Do they have that right in Canada as well? :)

Not sure, but our man Jerrek is American, only works in Canada

Jonboy
20-08-2003, 00:17
not over here your not , no way

i carry mine all the time when i manage to go out only last sunday we went to dolby forest and we had loads of nice non alcohol wine and nowt to open it with till i got me knife out

Lord Nikon
20-08-2003, 02:05
Originally posted by Jonboy
i have lost the tooth pick from mine as well the thing is i have never used it it must have grew legs and run off as all my family
all say no one has touched it :mad: but someone is tellin porkies
and it aint me

have a look at the swiss army knife sites they will sell you a pack of 3 replacement toothpicks for a couple of quid

Jonboy
20-08-2003, 12:32
cheers i never thought of that mind you it was late :D