PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Install - NTL no show

Jon T
28-09-2004, 15:23
My Girlfriend has just spent all morning waiting at her sisters flat for NTL to install broadband, she waited there till 2 and then came home.

Can't do much at the moment, her sister works for the employment service and they won't let her use the phone. This situation repeats itself far too much.

Jon

Florence
28-09-2004, 19:02
She should have stayed I am almost sure they do installs through to 5pm. The engineer could have called after she left.

Did she try calling them to see if they was coming or had been delayed before she left?

Jon T
28-09-2004, 21:29
Sorry but I have to disagree with the above post, if we are told(as were) that somebody is going to come out between eight in the morning and one in the afternoon, the those are the time between which they are supposed to turn up, if they are running late then it is their duty to either advise of this delay personally or get their admin team to do the same.

As a IT Support Technician myself I am often placed in exactly this situation, where a job may take far longer than anticipated, it is not fair to assume that you can "staff" somewhere(especially a home) every hour of daylight that exists.

Jon

BTW, My girlfriend sister phoned up CS tonight to be told that the engineer called at 12:15, strange because at that time my girlfriend was looking out of the window of her sisters flat that looks directly at the front door and road.

Florence
29-09-2004, 21:24
Sorry but I have to disagree with the above post, if we are told(as were) that somebody is going to come out between eight in the morning and one in the afternoon, the those are the time between which they are supposed to turn up, if they are running late then it is their duty to either advise of this delay personally or get their admin team to do the same.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but from experience of NTL engineers I know they can be delayed and it pays to either call or give them more time.

As a IT Support Technician myself I am often placed in exactly this situation, where a job may take far longer than anticipated, it is not fair to assume that you can "staff" somewhere(especially a home) every hour of daylight that exists.

As an IT tech support then you do know this can happen and 90% of company's don't call you to let you know as these same CS people have more than enough to deal with the calls they receive.
IMPO if you are already there then it pays to give extra time.

scrotnig
29-09-2004, 22:00
Everyone is entitled to their opinions but from experience of NTL engineers I know they can be delayed and it pays to either call or give them more time.
I agree with this, however from the customer's point of view, an 8-12 appointment means between 8 and 12. It's not unreasonable for the customer to make other arrangements outside those hours, I know I would.

It's important for companies, ntl included, to try and put themselves in the customer's position and consider whether they would think a decent service is being provided. This is all about being 'customer-centric'. Perception is everything. It doesn't matter if the intention is good, it's the end perception that matters.

I have much to say on this subject generally, but I bore people with it so I'll shut up.

Florence
29-09-2004, 22:57
I agree with this, however from the customer's point of view, an 8-12 appointment means between 8 and 12. It's not unreasonable for the customer to make other arrangements outside those hours, I know I would.

The only thing about this that has me thinking is all appointments I have had with NTL they have always given the times as 8 till 1 not 12 or 1 till 6 but I didn't turn the engineer away that arrived at 6.15 as I was glad it was being checked.