PDA

View Full Version : Pwease could someone settle an argument..................!!!!!!!!!!!

richardbuk
28-09-2004, 09:06
Ok the basics are this.....in relation to NTL broadband......

I say NTL works by having lines from your house into the green boxes that are up and down the streets, and then from here you contect to the exhange.

My mate says NTL broadband users have a direct connection straight to the exchange.

Who's right ???????? and

Where does ADSL fit into the picture ???

Many thanks

Rich

Paul
28-09-2004, 09:09
I say NTL works by having lines from your house into the green boxes that are up and down the streets, and then from here you contect to the exhange.Correct.

Where does ADSL fit into the picture ???ADSL is another system for providing broadband which uses existing BT lines.

BBKing
28-09-2004, 09:24
Except that there isn't really an exchange as such, at least in a telephone sense. It's more correct to say that you and your local area connect via a mixture of coaxial (copper) and optical (glass fibre) to a central point known as a head-end, where your signals are translated into standard Ethernet IP packets and sent up a conventional internet.

So you don't have a dedicated connection per-se, you have a share in the network serving your area.

ADSL differs in that you have your own connection to the local exchange (up a standard copper pair telephone line) at which point clever machinery splits off the broadband signal and sends it up a conventional internet connection (along with a number of other people in your area, but not necessarily your immediate neighbours.

Paul
28-09-2004, 09:34
Except that there isn't really an exchange as such, at least in a telephone sense. It's more correct to say that you and your local area connect via a mixture of coaxial (copper) and optical (glass fibre) to a central point known as a head-end.....True, but the main point of the argument seemed to be whether the lines went to the local Cabs, which of course they do. :)

richardbuk
28-09-2004, 09:41
Thanks people :)