PDA

View Full Version : Unsolicited calls - PHONE SPAM

NormCash
27-09-2004, 19:43
For the past month or so, we've been receiving unsolicited, pre-recorded phone calls, telling us we've "Been specially selected.....", or that we've won a holiday, etc., etc. You know the sort that I mean. I know that these types of calls are a HUGE nuisance in the States, but I didn't realise that they were being used here in Britain until we started getting them. We've had 5 such calls since Saturday.

Ever since my original ntl email address got bombarded with junk mail (so much so that I eventually had to close it down), I've been extremely careful about giving out information such as our phone number and email address. Unfortunately, it looks as if some barstewards have gotten hold of our number (which is unlisted, by the way) and are using it to annoy the hell out of us.

Is anyone else out there suffering from this problem? Is the anything that we can do to stop these calls? (I know that a "Do Not Call" register has been introduced in some US states). Can NTL do anything at all to help to filter out this type of "phone spam"?

At the moment, this is just a slight nuisance, but I can remember thinking that about the few spam emails that I used to receive a few years back. This is a problem which, if nothing is done to tackle it, will almost certainly continue to grow and grow. If things do start to get worse, I guess the only recourse would be to change our phone number. Is that something that NTL can do quite easily, or does that raise problems of its own?

Looking forward to your comments, people!

dilli-theclaw
27-09-2004, 19:45
You can register with the UK equivalent

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

Or ask for anonymous caller rejection to be added to your line...

(p.s. the anon caller rejection only stops calls that originate in the UK as far as I know - I still get calls from Dell in India)

paulyoung666
27-09-2004, 19:50

(p.s. the anon caller rejection only stops calls that originate in the UK as far as I know - I still get calls from Dell in India)

and it is worth noting that you can also do the same for mail

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/

i have done both and it works very well :tu:

Bifta
27-09-2004, 21:15

ACR is great, but it costs the customer money, and it shouldn't do, telecoms providers should be trying to tackle the problem or offering it for free.

Graham F
27-09-2004, 21:47

to be honest since i added my parents onto TPS abt 18 months ago within 12 month all the calls had stopped we were getting abt 20 a day :mad: In the last 6 months i can count the amoutn i have had on one hand :angel:

Marge
27-09-2004, 21:50
ACR is great, but it costs the customer money, and it shouldn't do, telecoms providers should be trying to tackle the problem or offering it for free.

In the areas I cover it's free

iadom
27-09-2004, 21:51
TPS works a treat. If the odd one sneaks through I just say "TPS" and the phone quickly goes dead.:)

Flubflow
27-09-2004, 22:24
I'm registered with the TPS (for about 3 years+ now) but recently I've had two of these pre-recorded tele-spam **** things. I want to slit the throats of the people responsible for this. I could NOT use my phone until the droaning spam had finished hogging MY telephone line. Not very nice if you need to make or are waiting for an urgent phone call.
:mad:

NormCash
28-09-2004, 08:41
Well, based on these replies, I've registered with TPS. I guess we'll see in a few weeks time if it does indeed work! Thanks for the advice, folks!

bob_builder
28-09-2004, 10:28
A lot of these pre-recorded spam calls use a dialing computer that picks phone numbers at random. This has two effects, firstly anybody can be called even those who are ex-directory and have never given out their number, secondly it gets around TPS by using a loophole that it is only illegal to ring somebody who has registered if you look-up their number.

bob_builder
28-09-2004, 10:35

I have found that there are some companies that have found a way round this somehow. One instance that is occurring on a very regular basis is I get a phone call that gets past ACR and shows up a caller ID of 02223334444 but when I dial 1471 subsequently it says no number is stored! Having later checked, this number is not valid and does not get through to anybody!

Jason1
28-09-2004, 13:09
For the past month or so, we've been receiving unsolicited, pre-recorded phone calls, telling us we've "Been specially selected.....", or that we've won a holiday, etc., etc. You know the sort that I mean. I know that these types of calls are a HUGE nuisance in the States, but I didn't realise that they were being used here in Britain until we started getting them. We've had 5 such calls since Saturday.

Ever since my original ntl email address got bombarded with junk mail (so much so that I eventually had to close it down), I've been extremely careful about giving out information such as our phone number and email address. Unfortunately, it looks as if some barstewards have gotten hold of our number (which is unlisted, by the way) and are using it to annoy the hell out of us.

Is anyone else out there suffering from this problem? Is the anything that we can do to stop these calls? (I know that a "Do Not Call" register has been introduced in some US states). Can NTL do anything at all to help to filter out this type of "phone spam"?

At the moment, this is just a slight nuisance, but I can remember thinking that about the few spam emails that I used to receive a few years back. This is a problem which, if nothing is done to tackle it, will almost certainly continue to grow and grow. If things do start to get worse, I guess the only recourse would be to change our phone number. Is that something that NTL can do quite easily, or does that raise problems of its own?

Looking forward to your comments, people!

Do these calls come from a private number ?
If so ntl can block private numbers calling your phone. If you have people that call you from private numbers they can dial 1470 first this releases their number for a single call so they can get through to you. as said above this is a phone scam its usually a computer that dials so this will prevent this call been connected

aliferste
28-09-2004, 15:21
I was going to post about this as well.......my answering machine is getting clogged up with this rubbish !!!

bob_builder
28-09-2004, 15:30
I was going to post about this as well.......my answering machine is getting clogged up with this rubbish !!!
Luckily, the NTL voicemail does not pick up for about 8 rings so most of these calls hang-up before then.

andrew_wallasey
29-09-2004, 15:28
I used to work in a call centre making unsolicited calls selling mobile phones. There is no real way of stopping people phoning you as I spoke to hundreds if not thousands of people who were members of the TPS. The TPS only works if you make sure you tick the boxes whenever you fill in an application form because otherwise you are giving permission for people to give out your number.

The other problem is people applying for contract phones and credit in your name using you name, your address and your contact details.

Remember the people making the phone calls are only doing a job its not their fault. They don't choose to ring you, they work off a predictive dialler. Which means a computer randomly picks your number out of a database of numbers and then it comes up on their screen with your details and then at the end of the call they wrap it with details of the conversation. The amount of people which are so horrible on the phone is unbelievable, I never got told to "**** off and die" or "ill come and break your legs you little *****" so many times in my life.

Graham F
29-09-2004, 16:15
I used to work in a call centre making unsolicited calls selling mobile phones. There is no real way of stopping people phoning you as I spoke to hundreds if not thousands of people who were members of the TPS. The TPS only works if you make sure you tick the boxes whenever you fill in an application form because otherwise you are giving permission for people to give out your number.

The other problem is people applying for contract phones and credit in your name using you name, your address and your contact details.

Remember the people making the phone calls are only doing a job its not their fault. They don't choose to ring you, they work off a predictive dialler. Which means a computer randomly picks your number out of a database of numbers and then it comes up on their screen with your details and then at the end of the call they wrap it with details of the conversation. The amount of people which are so horrible on the phone is unbelievable, I never got told to "**** off and die" or "ill come and break your legs you little *****" so many times in my life.

while it may be the case that you phoned lots of ppl who registered with TPS, if someone made a complaint to TPS about the company you worked for would have to prove that this person has ticked the box to enable them to recieve calls. If not and TPS finds the company is doing wrong then they will be fined £5000. the burden of prove lies with the comoany making the calls now, not the person receving the call.

zoombini
29-09-2004, 20:25
So if we are registered & we get a call, we have to talk to them, sound interested & get the company name & number etc so that we an pass it onto the TPS?

Thats as bad as listening to it all anyway, much easier to ue the p off & die approach :D

andrew_wallasey
30-09-2004, 00:08
So if we are registered & we get a call, we have to talk to them, sound interested & get the company name & number etc so that we an pass it onto the TPS?

Thats as bad as listening to it all anyway, much easier to ue the p off & die approach :D
No because it has nothing to do with the company using the data its to do with who the data is bought off, data is always bought in good faith.

andrew_wallasey
30-09-2004, 00:10
while it may be the case that you phoned lots of ppl who registered with TPS, if someone made a complaint to TPS about the company you worked for would have to prove that this person has ticked the box to enable them to recieve calls. If not and TPS finds the company is doing wrong then they will be fined £5000. the burden of prove lies with the comoany making the calls now, not the person receving the call.
Don't forgot I worked on projects, I called "on behalf" of the company I was selling for. There is no legal requirement for me to tell the person who I ring who I worked for.

tkiely
30-09-2004, 00:12
then you deserve all you get!

dilli-theclaw
30-09-2004, 00:17
Don't forgot I worked on projects, I called "on behalf" of the company I was selling for. There is no legal requirement for me to tell the person who I ring who I worked for.

I'd have loved it if you'd called me then :)

Flubflow
30-09-2004, 01:33

Very bold of you to admit that you did one of the most pathetic, antisocial worthless jobs ever invented. How naive of you not to expect, by default, that you would be frequently told to "**** off" when you invade people's peace without an invitation with your load of old crap. Are we suppose to feel some sort of sympathy?
Of course they don't choose to ring me in particular. It is totally indiscriminate. It is just very invasive telespam.

I'd rather work on the bins or shovel manure than do a telesales job.
We get enough advertising on TV, spam, www pop-ups, billboards, cold callers etc etc without having gimps like telesales people disturbing our friday evenings especially when they have been told a thousand times that we do not and will never want their double glazing/phone contract/burlgar alarm/insurance/conservatory etc etc. and NEVER to ring us again.
If I want to buy something then I will research it and shop around for the best deal. I will NEVER buy anything from telespam wonkers.

What telesales people also like to do is confuse pensioners. They are your favourite because they are often too polite and will listen to your drivel. They sometimes think you are something official to do with their current phone or gas supplier or whatever and they start handing over their credit card/bank details (which is what exactly what happened to a pensioner I know). You KNOW these trusting old people are vunerable and don't quite understand what is going on but you just love to push and push (so you can earn your commission) until they just give up and say yes just to get rid of the parasite that is you.

If I had a friend or relative who decided to take a telesales job then I'd disown them.
If ever our planet was about to blow up and we were capable of interstellar travel then at the bottom of the list for the people likely to be able to get a ticket would be telesales people.
(A definite "B-Ark" job)

The best thing a telesales (or ex-telesales) person can post in this thread is to apologise profusely and promise that they will never do it again.

:banghead:

Bifta
30-09-2004, 09:27
Do what I do when telesales **** ring ... put them on hold until they hang up.

bob_builder
30-09-2004, 09:40
No, because if you do that the company can say that you "invited" them to talk to you by being interested and probably have the call recorded to back it up, which is another loophole in TPS :(

andrew_wallasey
30-09-2004, 10:19
Very bold of you to admit that you did one of the most pathetic, antisocial worthless jobs ever invented. How naive of you not to expect, by default, that you would be frequently told to "**** off" when you invade people's peace without an invitation with your load of old crap. Are we suppose to feel some sort of sympathy?
Of course they don't choose to ring me in particular. It is totally indiscriminate. It is just very invasive telespam.

I'd rather work on the bins or shovel manure than do a telesales job.
We get enough advertising on TV, spam, www pop-ups, billboards, cold callers etc etc without having gimps like telesales people disturbing our friday evenings especially when they have been told a thousand times that we do not and will never want their double glazing/phone contract/burlgar alarm/insurance/conservatory etc etc. and NEVER to ring us again.
If I want to buy something then I will research it and shop around for the best deal. I will NEVER buy anything from telespam wonkers.

What telesales people also like to do is confuse pensioners. They are your favourite because they are often too polite and will listen to your drivel. They sometimes think you are something official to do with their current phone or gas supplier or whatever and they start handing over their credit card/bank details (which is what exactly what happened to a pensioner I know). You KNOW these trusting old people are vunerable and don't quite understand what is going on but you just love to push and push (so you can earn your commission) until they just give up and say yes just to get rid of the parasite that is you.

If I had a friend or relative who decided to take a telesales job then I'd disown them.
If ever our planet was about to blow up and we were capable of interstellar travel then at the bottom of the list for the people likely to be able to get a ticket would be telesales people.
(A definite "B-Ark" job)

The best thing a telesales (or ex-telesales) person can post in this thread is to apologise profusely and promise that they will never do it again.

:banghead:

haha almost had me feeling sorry for you for a minute there. Havnt read something which tickled me like that for a while, especially the bit about pensioners. Telesales will continue to exist while general public are so stupid.

I donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t see why I should apologise for working in telesales if people donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t like it then tough ****. I would do the job again as itââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s a good well paid job and would rather do that than us starve. I guess you would rather I stayed at home on the dole?

You call us gimps; we are just people doing a job. If everyone doing a job that annoyed me (milkmen, bin men, courier companies, lorry drivers, etc etc etc) 50% of us would be gimps. You are the typical ignorant ******** that comes out with this constant verbal bull**** thinking you know it all. I bet you are one of them people which makes a big deal when you get a sales call rather than just saying "no, sorry not interested ... bye" and start trying to get company details to take them to court. You say we are wasting your time and then spend 30 minutes telling us that while we are laughing at you with the mic switched off.

You have to have given your details to someone for your number to be on the system. So its your own fault you idiot.

andrew_wallasey
30-09-2004, 10:21
I'd have loved it if you'd called me then :)
Probably did, haha.... why would you have loved if I had called you?

Bifta
30-09-2004, 10:29
haha almost had me feeling sorry for you for a minute there. Havnt read something which tickled me like that for a while, especially the bit about pensioners. Telesales will continue to exist while general public are so stupid.

I donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t see why I should apologise for working in telesales if people donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t like it then tough ****. I would do the job again as itââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s a good well paid job and would rather do that than us starve. I guess you would rather I stayed at home on the dole?

You call us gimps; we are just people doing a job. If everyone doing a job that annoyed me (milkmen, bin men, courier companies, lorry drivers, etc etc etc) 50% of us would be gimps. You are the typical ignorant ******** that comes out with this constant verbal bull**** thinking you know it all. I bet you are one of them people which makes a big deal when you get a sales call rather than just saying "no, sorry not interested ... bye" and start trying to get company details to take them to court. You say we are wasting your time and then spend 30 minutes telling us that while we are laughing at you with the mic switched off.

You have to have given your details to someone for your number to be on the system. So its your own fault you idiot.

Actually I'm sure I used the term "****" not "gimp" which, judging by your post there, isn't far off the mark.

bob_a_builder
30-09-2004, 10:30
"Under Government legislation introduced on 1st May 1999 and replaced on 11th December 2003 by the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003, it is unlawful to make unsolicited direct marketing calls to individuals who have indicated that they do not want to receive such calls.

You can either do this by contacting companies directly and asking them not to call you OR you can register with a central register - the TPS.
"

Which part of that are you having difficulty understanding - my emphasis on the OR
Edit: sorry that was directed at the **** on here who admitted to making illegal unsolicited direct marketing calls

For the random dialers - give this a go
"If you have been troubled by calls where the phone rings but on answering there is no one there, you may wish to register your number on the Silent Callgard Service on 0870 4443969. "

Though why you have to register twice I don;t know !

zovat
30-09-2004, 10:45
[color=black]

Sorry mate, but that is BS.....

maybe your company did this - but most companies buy a list from somewhere.

some companies just use the phone book :Yikes:

some get lists from companies that are going bust - so having had dealings with this company, I could now get telesales - where is that my fault..

your attitude is abhorrent, getting personal is not required in this thread.

(sorry, but that goes for flub as well - no need to get nasty here :ghugs: )

As for hating teleasales people - personally I don't - as you point out - they have a job to do - the same as double glazing salesmen, estate agents, tax men, and all the other jobs we all say "I couldn't do that, I'd hate myself too much".
I have a couple opf friends who did telesales for a while, and they both said the same thing - the money is good, but the attitude from the punters sucked.

I am now on the TPS (and MPS), and don't get such calls, however when I did, I mereley told them I wan not interested, and could they please remove me from their list.

Only once did I get angry - the same company (double glazing) called me three times in five days, each time after I had told them to remove me from the list.
At that point I merely asked to be transferred to the manager (but it was probably just another telesales bod) and informed them that should I receive another call from them, I would be contacting their head office by mail and also copying the ombudsman, and I had a recording of the call to prove that I had repeatedly requested to be removed from their list.
I never had another call from them - all sorted - no swearing, no nastiness - just a reminder of their own code of conduct.

to pick on the elderly and less cognisant members of society is about as low as you can get, and I cannot condone anybody who says that it is acceptable. However, I have nothing saying you did this, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

As ever - my 2c - feel free to disagree

Nugget
30-09-2004, 10:47
<snip>[You have to have given your details to someone for your number to be on the system. So its your own fault you idiot.

Well, in that case, could you explain a couple of things to me?

1) I have never given my home phone number to any company (including credit card companies, insurance companies, catalogues, delivery companies etc). If they desparately need my number, they get either my mobile or, most likely, my work number. However, I have never received one of these stupid, annoying calls either at work or on my mobile.

2) My home phone numer is ex-directory and I've never given it out. Given that you have already said:

Remember the people making the phone calls are only doing a job its not their fault. They don't choose to ring you, they work off a predictive dialler. Which means a computer randomly picks your number out of a database of numbers

could you explain to me how I keep getting telesales calls at home? More to the point, if the system is predictive, then it doesn't need to have a database - if it's dialling at random, it just needs to know that a phone number is x numbers long.

As for the fact that there are people doing jobs that annoy you, can I just say that milkmen have a use (I prefer fresh milk in the morning), binmen have a use (I much prefer not having to wade through piles of cr@p to get to my car in the morning, and courier companies / lorry drivers have a use (in that, without them, I'd never receive any thing that I ordered and the shops would be empty).

Let's face it, if there was ever a survey undertaken to find out the most annoying people in the world, it's fair to say that some spotty little @rse ringing up to see if you want double glazing in your shed would pretty much top the last!

bob_a_builder
30-09-2004, 10:52
if the system is predictive, then it doesn't need to have a database - if it's dialling at random, it just needs to know that a phone number is x numbers long.

Which then should be checked against the database by the system before the call is placed - it ain't rocket science !

dilli-theclaw
30-09-2004, 10:53
Probably did, haha.... why would you have loved if I had called you?

I'm sure you can work it out.

Bifta
30-09-2004, 10:55
Judging by the scruples of companies that try to get sales by irritating the living hell out of people with unsolicited calls you probably won't be surprised to learn that some of them (probably most of them) have diallers that will call sequences of or random numbers so half the time it makes no difference whether you're registered with the TPS or not.

Toucan Telecom are my favourite, they don't seem to comprehend that the person they're calling for died 4 months ago, despite reminders every time they call, this is fairly typical of most companies and individuals that involves themselves in telesales, they're normally arrogant, thoughtless with no concern for the person on the end of the phone .. and then they come on here bleating about getting told to "f*ck off" ....

andrew_wallasey
30-09-2004, 11:20
The company I worked on behalf of bought targeted data called "hot data" from companies like Carphone Warehouse, The Link, etc. It was all people who had been previously turned down for mobile phone contracts in the past few months.

I am now on the TPS (and MPS), and don't get such calls, however when I did, I mereley told them I wan not interested, and could they please remove me from their list.
Exactly, I have no problem with being told that but when people threaten to come and break my legs, etc its going a bit OTT.

I never exploited elderly people, in fact I often put people off buying the product as best I could if I thought it was going to cause big problems for them.

andrew_wallasey
30-09-2004, 11:22
Judging by the scruples of companies that try to get sales by irritating the living hell out of people with unsolicited calls you probably won't be surprised to learn that some of them (probably most of them) have diallers that will call sequences of or random numbers so half the time it makes no difference whether you're registered with the TPS or not.
Very few use random diallers because it would not be very productive. A predictive dialler does not mean it rings random numbers; it randomly selected numbers out of a database of number.

Some call centres leave a random dialler running when people are not working getting new numbers but ours did not do that.

andrew_wallasey
30-09-2004, 11:32
Well, in that case, could you explain a couple of things to me?

1) I have never given my home phone number to any company (including credit card companies, insurance companies, catalogues, delivery companies etc). If they desparately need my number, they get either my mobile or, most likely, my work number. However, I have never received one of these stupid, annoying calls either at work or on my mobile.

2) My home phone numer is ex-directory and I've never given it out. Given that you have already said:

could you explain to me how I keep getting telesales calls at home? More to the point, if the system is predictive, then it doesn't need to have a database - if it's dialling at random, it just needs to know that a phone number is x numbers long.
A predicitive dialler does not mean it rings random numbers. It rings a number of phone numbers out of a database at a time and predicts what numbers are going to be available and how long each person is going to be on the phone, how long they will spend wrapping the call, etc.

The reason you might be getting calls is someone has got hold of your details and has applied for something in the past maybe fraudulant credit etc. There is a 1000 ways. Some marketing company might have picked your number up on a random dialler and sold it.

As for the fact that there are people doing jobs that annoy you, can I just say that milkmen have a use (I prefer fresh milk in the morning), binmen have a use (I much prefer not having to wade through piles of cr@p to get to my car in the morning, and courier companies / lorry drivers have a use (in that, without them, I'd never receive any thing that I ordered and the shops would be empty).
Milkmen wake me up at 5am in the morning. Binmen wake me up with the lorry. Courier companies are often late and don't delivery when they are meant to and lorry drivers decide its safe to drive artics down my road and scratch the side of the car.

Let's face it, if there was ever a survey undertaken to find out the most annoying people in the world, it's fair to say that some spotty little @rse ringing up to see if you want double glazing in your shed would pretty much top the last!
That might well be the case but at least I was working and paying taxes rather than sat on my arse on the dole.

bob_builder
30-09-2004, 11:36
Very few use random diallers because it would not be very productive. A predictive dialler does not mean it rings random numbers; it randomly selected numbers out of a database of number.
The difference between the two has a legal impact from a TPS point of view.

If a predictive dialler choses a number from a list at random, that number should be checked against the TPS database before the call is made, legally. (Quite a few call centres do not do this and some even claim that they do not have to do this as the number is on a list! However, any call centre failing to do so can be prosecuted if it is reported.)

If a dialler randomly generates a telephone number there is no legal requirement to check the TPS database.

andrew_wallasey
30-09-2004, 11:40
The difference between the two has a legal impact from a TPS point of view.

If a predictive dialler choses a number from a list at random, that number should be checked against the TPS database before the call is made, legally. (Quite a few call centres do not do this and some even claim that they do not have to do this as the number is on a list! However, any call centre failing to do so can be prosecuted if it is reported.)

If a dialler randomly generates a telephone number there is no legal requirement to check the TPS database.
Our list was checked against the TPS database and we still got people sure they were on the TPS list.

bob_builder
30-09-2004, 11:45
Our list was checked against the TPS database and we still got people sure they were on the TPS list.
I guess it depends on when the list was checked. If it was done when it was bought then between that time and when you called they could have joined TPS.

Either way, if they were TPS registered and they reported your company then you would have been in trouble.

The problem is that people do not seem to be bothered reporting and just rant at the person calling. If they did, there would be more prosecutions and companies would be more careful in the future not to ring TPS registered numbers.

andrew_wallasey
30-09-2004, 11:49
I guess it depends on when the list was checked. If it was done when it was bought then between that time and when you called they could have joined TPS.

Either way, if they were TPS registered and they reported your company then you would have been in trouble.

The problem is that people do not seem to be bothered reporting and just rant at the person calling. If they did, there would be more prosecutions and companies would be more careful in the future not to ring TPS registered numbers.
Agreed, I dont see the point in ringing TPS registered numbers because its not like there is any chance of selling them something.

dr wadd
30-09-2004, 12:16

Well, you say it was checked, but how do you know it was checked? Simply being told isn`t necessarily good enough. I remember seeing a program about call centres and the TPS, some places tell their staff that it everything has been checked so they have something to comeback with when the customer complains, in actuality no checks of this type have ever been made. At the end of the day, I would expect the person you call to have a better idea of whether they have opted to be on the TPS than you do.

Provide proof that your list was checked and I`ll accept your statement. But considering that a lot of telesales are run by dodgy people in general, I see no reason why they would have any greater qualms about lying to their staff than they do with regard to p*ss*ng off members of the public with intrusive calls.

Flubflow
30-09-2004, 13:04

It tickles you does it that pensioners get ripped off? Then I hope your mother/grandmother gets ripped off big time and see how you like it.

You have proved that it certainly takes a "special" kind of person to do telesales.

andrew_wallasey
30-09-2004, 15:28
It tickles you does it that pensioners get ripped off? Then I hope your mother/grandmother gets ripped off big time and see how you like it.

You have proved that it certainly takes a "special" kind of person to do telesales.
No because my parents would just tell someone to **** off if they started trying a hard sell with them. It just tickles me that you think that is what all telesales people are like.

Nugget
30-09-2004, 15:40
No because my parents would just tell someone to **** off if they started trying a hard sell with them. It just tickles me that you think that is what all telesales people are like.

Yeah, but hang on. Earlier, you were complaining about when people told you to bugger off - does this mean that you think it's alright as long as it's someone you know :confused:

Flubflow
30-09-2004, 15:57
The amount of people which are so horrible on the phone is unbelievable, I never got told to "**** off and die" or "ill come and break your legs you little *****" so many times in my life.[/color]

+

= Hypocrite

andrew_wallasey
30-09-2004, 21:08
If actually opened your eyes and read what I said there is a difference. I said in my first post.

The amount of people which are so horrible on the phone is unbelievable, I never got told to "**** off and die" or "ill come and break your legs you little *****" so many times in my life.

I had not even offered them anything and they were like that with me. Often as soon as I got to the "Hi my names Andrew im calling on behalf of........".

Notice I said "trying a hard sell with them".

Shaun
30-09-2004, 21:15
Andrew, what sort of things did you sell? Did you have to make many calls to get a sale? I'm sure it must be fairly fruitless as everyone I know just tells them to sod off! :erm:

dilli-theclaw
30-09-2004, 21:19
I'm sure you can work it out.

I'd just like to retract the statement I made earlier - On reflection, and after reading your posts, I don't think you COULD work it out properly.

andrew_wallasey
30-09-2004, 21:21
Andrew, what sort of things did you sell? Did you have to make many calls to get a sale? I'm sure it must be fairly fruitless as everyone I know just tells them to sod off! :erm:
Sold the latest sim free phones on credit. Yes we sold around 15-20 on a 3-9pm shift.

andrew_wallasey
30-09-2004, 21:22
and each person would make about 125-200 calls a day. So about 10% of your calls were sales.

andrew_wallasey
30-09-2004, 21:23
I'd just like to retract the statement I made earlier - On reflection, and after reading your posts, I don't think you COULD work it out properly.
Who do you think you are talking to? You don't even know me?! :erm:

dilli-theclaw
30-09-2004, 21:27
Who do you think you are talking to? You don't even know me?! :erm:

I am talking to the person who sees fit to call other people an 'idiot' without knowing them.

I can gain enough knowledge to form an opinion about your personality from what you are posting.

But don't worry I won't say what I really think about you - because I'd get banned - If you feel you really want to know pm me.

Enjoy....

edit - and on that note (and rep point i just made for you to read) I'm going to remove my sub to this thread - if you wish to discuss it further pm me.

virtual-angel
30-09-2004, 22:29
As for hating teleasales people - personally I don't - as you point out - they have a job to do - the same as double glazing salesmen, estate agents, tax men, and all the other jobs we all say "I couldn't do that, I'd hate myself too much".

OI!!!! why are we included in that list! i work bluddy hard for my clients!!

timewarrior2001
30-09-2004, 22:54

Ok I dont like your post, I dont like your attitude and I dont agree with the very last bnit of your post.
BT sell lists of numbers to companies, I used to work for a company that got a BT list every month. So in fact you dont have to give your number to these companies anyway.
What I advise people to do is exactly what I did to get rid of the sales vermin that phone offering me everything I dont want. If a number is withheld I have the feature activated on the line that blocks the call.

If it puts people out of a job that think its ok to harrass people (harrassment can be described as unwanted attention) then I'd encourage more people to use this feature.
The rule always applies, If I want something I will approach the company when I want it, not wait for a company to approach me.
Spam advertising is getting ridiculous, I get letters addressed to me at my girlfriends house, I dont even live there!!!!!