PDA

View Full Version : wireless on NTL - router, hub or access point

asy1mpo
27-09-2004, 15:54
Originally posted to other thread but i think this is thread its supposed to be on:

I have NTL Broadband through a Set top box. Connected at moment using USB.

Already have a wireless PCMCIA card.

Could i get a wireless access point and plug into the set top box and that would be it?

Would it be a router or hub or access point?

Thanks

altis
27-09-2004, 16:05
Best get a wireless router. This will allow you to share the internet connection between your current PC and any others that you may get in the future. Also, since there is so much consumer interest in routers, they tend to be cheaper and have more features than just plain vanilla WAPs.

SMHarman
27-09-2004, 17:02
A router will give you a DCHP server that will enable the connection of multiple devices, a hub or access point will basically bridge the airwaves from the STB to the laptop, so you will still have the NTL IP address on your laptop (and it will be the only device that can use the NTL internet connection).

Getting a router will also act as a hardware firewall.

asy1mpo
27-09-2004, 17:05
so if its only going to be my laptop i can use a hub/access point -

i guess this would help security too since only my laptop can connect :(

zovat
27-09-2004, 17:25
so if its only going to be my laptop i can use a hub/access point -

i guess this would help security too since only my laptop can connect :(

If you only intend to connect the laptop, the yes, this should work.

However : connecting a hub to your STB is not going to give you anything that plugging the WAP in directly would not do.

The WAP will not improve security in any way.

the cost of a wireless router is the same as a WAP - and the benefits are huge in comparison..

1) hardware firewall = protection from hackers
2) expandable with no extra cost (for wired connection, or just the wireless card for wireless)
3) greater control of the security of your network.

HTH

SMHarman
27-09-2004, 17:26
No, I would still go for a wireless router, a router includes a wireless access point and is generally cheaper now (e.g. the Linksys WRT54G is cheaper than the WPA54G).
The laptop will be less secure when online as there is no hardware firewall and with the router you can lock the access to a specific mac address, denying anything other than your laptop access to your wireless connection. The router supports WEP and WPA, most accesspoints are WEP only.

asy1mpo
28-09-2004, 15:03
So if getting a wireless router and plugging into STB will be no problems

Wheres the best place to get a cheap wireless router?

Thanks for the help

altis
28-09-2004, 16:54
You know - I can still smell those peaches.

asy1mpo
28-09-2004, 16:57
You know - I can still smell those peaches.
?!?!?

SMHarman
28-09-2004, 16:59
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/026-7334886-6720417

Chris
28-09-2004, 17:02
?!?!?
Sorry, it's a bit of a forum in-joke. :erm: :) Let's stick to routers, everyone. :)

nffc
28-09-2004, 18:45
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=16296