PDA

View Full Version : NTL STB and router help!!!

bunkerbuster
12-08-2003, 09:39
I have 600k STB broadband connected to my PC using a Xover adaptor and Ehernet->USB dongle.

This works like a dream as it is but like many others, I wish to use a router so I can connect my Xbox and PS2 to their respective online gateways.

I have purchased a Linksys Etherfast cable compatible 4 port router and tried to get it all working (following the instructions to the letter)

I can't even seem to connect to the router using it's internal IP
something 168.1.1 if I recall correctly.

I'm set up to be assigned an IP dynamically (by the router?)

It is wired up as follows:
Ethernet out of STB into WAN input on router...Port 4 out of Router into a USB-> ethernet dongle and into my PC.

When I go back to the previous setup it works like a dream
Is there something i'm doing incorrectly:shrug:
ANy help greatfully recieved.

altis
12-08-2003, 10:04
If you used a cross-over cable to your PC then you will probably need a straight-thru one to the router.

Also, your STB will only recognise one MAC address. But your router will have a different one to your PC. See this FAQs page:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/swap.html
You may be able to register your router by powering off and on the STB and then try registering via the router (see the FAQs page again). If this doesn't work you should be able to get the router to 'clone' your PCs address.

bunkerbuster
12-08-2003, 10:24
Thanks for the reply, but I'm really a network novice so you've confused the hell out of me!!!

BBKing
12-08-2003, 11:20
Firstly reboot the STB whenever you change from PC<>router and back

Secondly you'll need to register the router's MAC address online - this should only be necessary the first time you connect, and you'll be taken automatically to the registration page.

Thirdly check where you're putting the xover adapter - it should be between the router and the STB, the link from PC to router should be plain ethernet with no adapters (other than the USB one).

Fourthly consider investing in a proper ethernet card rather than the USB dongle. It pays off in increased reliability and reduced CPU load.

Fifthly (this is going on a bit) I've never actually heard of anyone using the usb dongle into a router, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.

bunkerbuster
12-08-2003, 11:44
Do I have to use the Xover adaptor even with the router then?

th'engineer
14-08-2003, 10:39
you still need x over for the stb if it is a model that requires it

basa
14-08-2003, 12:25
Originally posted by th'engineer
you still need x over for the stb if it is a model that requires it

Ex CoCo (Cable & Wireless) STB type 1000 (I think) requires a x-over connection (adapter or x-over cable) all other router PC connections are straight through.

Your STB should say on the back if it requires a x-over connection (where the cable plugs in).