PDA

View Full Version : major probs - need to reinstall XP - what's happens to my NTL connection?

sarah_2677
25-09-2004, 20:30
Hello,

I am having major problems and want to reinstall XP. What I wanted to know is what happens regarding my NTL settings, will I have to put in the original setup disk that I had an follow that through? Thanks

scrotnig
25-09-2004, 20:43
Hello,

I am having major problems and want to reinstall XP. What I wanted to know is what happens regarding my NTL settings, will I have to put in the original setup disk that I had an follow that through? Thanks
This shouldn't be needed, assuming it's broadband it's perfectly possible to configure your settings manually. I believe there are instructions somewhere on this site, though I'm not sure where.

If you have broadband via a set top box you then simply need to reprovision the service using the start.ntl page. if it's a cable modem then you won't need to do this.

NB If you are connecting via USB you will need to reinstall the drivers from the CD, however this does not involve running the CD itself.

BBKing
25-09-2004, 21:35
If you have broadband via a set top box you then simply need to reprovision the service using the start.ntl page

Unless you've changed the MAC address of the connecting device, this step should be unnecessary. I've used completely different OS on the same hardware and haven't needed to re-register.

nopcode
25-09-2004, 21:45
yep, as the gurus already stated , a fresh install of windows isnt a problem. AS long as u have the drivers for your ethernet or usb connection handy it will be just fine.

When internet explorer first starts, it will ask you to set up your connection, just select "i conect through a local area network (lan)" or somthing similar, use the default settings and it should start up fine.

You may wish to alter the settings after, following the great info at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/

windows xp carries drivers for most common nic's (your ethernet or network card) so you may find its installed automagically.

aliferste
25-09-2004, 21:53
Hey....is there settings Im supposed to change...once I reformat and install updates I just plug in the cable into the ethernet card and im away :)

Paul
25-09-2004, 22:31
Hey....is there settings Im supposed to change...once I reformat and install updates I just plug in the cable into the ethernet card and im away :)That's the theory. :)

Web-Junkie
26-09-2004, 20:23
As long as your cable modem is plugged in, switched on and registered with NTL then Windows will configure your network settings automatically. If you need to install NIC or USB drivers, then a simple reboot should sort the configuration out as well.

scrotnig
26-09-2004, 20:41
Unless you've changed the MAC address of the connecting device, this step should be unnecessary. I've used completely different OS on the same hardware and haven't needed to re-register.
That's certainly the theory, although I've known it both work that way and not work that way, so toss a coin.....

BBKing
26-09-2004, 20:46
True - there is a small client-specific bit at the start of the DHCP request that can change, but I've not known it to - it's usually 1,6.

paulyoung666
26-09-2004, 20:49
hi and :welcome: to the site sarah_2677 , go ahead and reinstall , i cannot see you having any problems regarding your ntl connection :)