PDA

View Full Version : NTL stuck speed upgrade

Azathoth
24-09-2004, 20:20
Phoned up and upgraded my NTL broadband connection from 300k to 750K early this evening. Two hours later and i'm still on the 300K speed. I've reset the STB but still no joy. I've just phoned customer services who said the account is upgraded to 750K they pasted me through to faults who said that the 'Hit' to my STB had been sent and had not yet reached it but that if it had failed for some reason that it would have come back as a fault. The technical guy said it normally only takes a few minutes to upgrade the speed but to give it a bit more time. Anyone from NTL know if there is a know fault causing this problem in the Poole, Dorset area ?

scrotnig
24-09-2004, 20:26
Usually these hits go through within a few minutes, but there's quite often delays in them going through, which can be anything from a few extra minutes to several hours.

When the hit is received, you'll usually have to re-enter your PID and password, so that's how you'll know it's happened.

If there's still no change by Monday, drop me a PM and I'll see if I can find out what's happened.

Tezcatlipoca
24-09-2004, 20:28
:welcome:

I think they may have been having problems recently with upgrading/downgrading, as this isn't the 1st post I've seen here with this problem.

e.g. have a read of this - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=17725

Maybe give it a little longer, but if it still hasn't been upgraded by Saturday I would certainly phone them back!

Also, make sure that CS understand you still have the slower 300k speed & therefore should not be paying for the 750k service until you actually do have the 750k service.

Anyway, with luck, one of the ntl people who post here will pop along & be able to give you some help :)

EDIT: Ah, beaten to it by Mark B :tu: He should be able to help you if the problem continues :)

scrotnig
24-09-2004, 20:32
Also, make sure that CS understand you still have the slower 300k speed & therefore should not be paying for the 750k service until you actually do have the 750k service.

Quite right, and it is possible to tell the exact time the hit eventually cleared to the box as well, so it's not hard to confirm that you may need a credit, since the billing code amends the bill straight away. Not all customer services staff will have access to that information though, and also make sure you make it clear you are not asking for 'compensation', you are asking for a credit for a service that was billed but not actually provided on time.

Azathoth
24-09-2004, 20:35
Thanks for the replys and help. Will wait till tomorrow morning and see if it has gone through overnight.

BBKing
24-09-2004, 20:43
I think they may have been having problems recently with upgrading/downgrading, as this isn't the 1st post I've seen here with this problem.

Matt - that guy was on a SACM - this guy's on an STB - the billing and provisioning systems are still totally separate (STB bb has nowt to do with Harmony), so problems with one don't mean problems with the other. Having said that, there was a chap on STB a few weeks back with the same issue, which was resolved by the hit making its leisurely way to the provisioning system after 2 1/2 hours.

I recommend sleeping on it, rebooting the thing in the morning and if there's no joy get onto ntl or badger myself or Mark. He has more direct access to the provisioning system though.

Tezcatlipoca
24-09-2004, 20:45
Matt - that guy was on a SACM - this guy's on an STB - the billing and provisioning systems are still totally separate (STB bb has nowt to do with Harmony), so problems with one don't mean problems with the other. Having said that, there was a chap on STB a few weeks back with the same issue, which was resolved by the hit making its leisurely way to the provisioning system after 2 1/2 hours.

Ah. I stand corrected :)

Azathoth
24-09-2004, 22:13
Problem sorted now.Took a little over 4 hours to go through the system.Registered my mac address again and now running at 750K.Only one problem was that upon opening my browser i was no longer taken to the registration page. Luckly i had written down the ip address of the site from when i first joined up to NTL.Thanks for all the advice

LooeyUK
25-09-2004, 00:01
When the hit is received, you'll usually have to re-enter your PID and password, so that's how you'll know it's happened.

This is only needed when upgrading to 1.5MB or downloadgrading.

scrotnig
25-09-2004, 00:06
This is only needed when upgrading to 1.5MB or downloadgrading.
Most speed changes on set top box broadband will require the PID and password.

BBKing
26-09-2004, 20:39
Most speed changes on set top box broadband will require the PID and password.

All, I think. I don't think they discriminated between any of the speed changes, although under the original scheme the only necessary re-reg was when changing to/from 128k (later 150k and now 300k). It's going back a bit though, my memory is from summer 2001 for this stuff.