PDA

View Full Version : JFK Airport : Air train

Mike
24-09-2004, 13:59
Hi all

I am looking at transportation from JFK to Downtown Manhattan and wonder if any one has used the Airtrain from JFK Airport. Was not aware that this was there.........is it new.

Any comments or ideas.

Thanks

Mike

SMHarman
24-09-2004, 14:41
There isn't (really)
http://www.panynj.gov/airtrain/
Air train is the new train that connects all the terminals and also goes to the Long Island Rail Road station and the New York City Transit (Subway) stations, at each of those you have to change onto the train into the city.
IMHO you are better getting a shuttle bus (your hotel is often subscribed to one), or the bus to the Port Authority Building in NYC or paying the flat fare for a cab (especially if you are travelling with others.

http://www.nyctourist.com/travel_jfk.htm

Depends on how much luggage you have though.

TigaSefi
24-09-2004, 15:32
last time I was at JFK, I paid $30 flat fare into Manhatten and what a great ride!! russian cabby too lol

andygrif
24-09-2004, 16:24
Cab is far better, worth 20 quid in my opinion - you don't need to be switching trains everywhere, plus then you'll probably need a cab to get you from Penn St to your hotel, which will be probably half that fare anyway.

This is from the AirTrain website....

MAKE THE CONNECTION TO MIDTOWN MANHATTAN

Connect To Local Trains and Subways From AirTrain
There are a few ways to get to Midtown Manhattan from AirTrain. Here are the most direct routes: †¢ Take AirTrain to Jamaica Station.
†¢ At Jamaica Station, take a Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) train to New York Penn Station.
New York Penn Station is a major transportation hub offering connections from New York City subways and buses, the LIRR, Amtrak® and NJ TRANSIT ®.
Or, †¢ Take AirTrain to Jamaica Station.
†¢ At Jamaica Station, take the E subway to New York Penn Station.

How To Transfer From AirTrain At Jamaica Station

When you exit AirTrain at Jamaica Station, follow signs for the LIRR or the subway. You will pass through the fare gates and go down one or more levels to the LIRR or subway platform. This walk takes approximately 5 minutes. Take a virtual tour of the station now.

You will need a Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard with at least $5 in value to go through the AirTrain fare gates. Go to Cost & Tickets for more information.

Too much hassle for me, especially the connections lugging luggage around, but each to their own. (Yes it is pretty new by the way, wasn't fully open when I was there in December last year)

How long you going for? Business or pleasure?

For next time by the way I'd recommend Newark, I think it's easier to get round 'Jersey than New York.

Mike
24-09-2004, 18:25
How long you going for? Business or pleasure?.

Just going for the weekend.....well Thursday to Monday. Bit of christmas shopping seeing the old sites. :)

Tricky
24-09-2004, 18:28
I've done a taxi back to the airport, last time I was there I was picked up in a stretch limo but I was too p****d from the flight to remember much of the ride. Signed the wifes imigration card too in order to get through customs!!! (bet that wouldn't work now!)

Macca371
24-09-2004, 18:36
Do not use the subway, it is nothing like the London tube. NYC subway is much scruffier and much unsafer - when you are carrying money and luggage I do not recommend it at all. I'd get a cab.

bb31
24-09-2004, 19:00
if you get a yellow cab at the airport look out for a eddie grant look-a-like and stay clear!! he scared me and debsy42 to death and was arrogant and refused to help lift our cases into the boot even tho we was stuggling - our first impression of nyc was him and we wanted to go straight back home :(

andygrif
24-09-2004, 19:05
You do have to pay extra for them to lift cases in and out. Normally there is a little hut where you tell the controller where you want to go, he tells you how much it is, writes it on a slip of paper and you give this to the next taxi in the queue.

The price on the slip is the price you pay, but you should also tip 15% on top of that.

bb31
24-09-2004, 19:08
You do have to pay extra for them to lift cases in and out. Normally there is a little hut where you tell the controller where you want to go, he tells you how much it is, writes it on a slip of paper and you give this to the next taxi in the queue.

The price on the slip is the price you pay, but you should also tip 15% on top of that.

ahhhhhhhhhh so thats why he was so arrogant!! hmmmmmm still didnt like him