PDA

View Full Version : Contacting local NTL offices?

steve_smith
22-09-2004, 11:13
Hi all,

Well I thought that my problem with upstream had finally been sorted. I'm working at home today, and I looked out the window to see an NTL van pulling up outside the green street cabinet up the road.

Suddenly, I noticed I was getting absolutely zero packet loss! (I have a test script running that pings various hosts with different sized packets). However, it lasted for less than 5 minutes, and now the van has driven off again and my connection is back to normal (packet loss all over the place again).

The network manager (I think) from NTL Poole called me yesterday to update me on the situation and told me that our segment of the network was having it's annual maintenance brought forward, and I presume this is why work was being carried out on the cabinet.

Since, for a short while, everything was working perfectly, I guess there is a faulty connection or bit of kit in the cabinet, or the connection of a customer polluting the network was temporarily unplugged during the maintenance work.

So, I'd really like to get hold of the guy that phoned me from NTL Poole to tell him that whatever they were doing in the cabinet this morning temporarily solved my problem.

Before I hang on to the phone for half an hour, does anyone know if broadband tech. support can put me in touch with the people in my local office, or is there another number I should be calling? Alternatively, if there is anyone from NTL reading this who would be kind enough to pass on a message for me, then it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

Chris W
22-09-2004, 11:34
Customer service is the best way to get in touch with local staff, because TSB operate nationally, and would have to transfer you to c/s to get in touch with anyone local.

steve_smith
22-09-2004, 14:10
Customer service is the best way to get in touch with local staff, because TSB operate nationally, and would have to transfer you to c/s to get in touch with anyone local.
Thanks. Since then, it appears they're still working in this vicinity (seen NTL vans driving up and down the road).

Whatever they've done (and without wishing to tempt fate), I am now seeing zero packet loss at various packet sizes to various sites. So after 5 months my problem might even have been resolved :)

If that is the case, big thanks to NTL for sorting it out :tu:

Steve.

steve_smith
22-09-2004, 21:43
Whatever they've done (and without wishing to tempt fate), I am now seeing zero packet loss at various packet sizes to various sites. So after 5 months my problem might even have been resolved :)

Well it seems I did indeed manage to tempt fate :( Problem returned late afternoon. Will have to wait till I speak to the NTL Poole people later in the week and try to sort it out.

Steve.