PDA

View Full Version : Connection woes....

Heed
21-09-2004, 12:16
Okay, ever since about the time of the speed upgrade my connection drops in two different ways:

1) the connection dies, but the modem doesn't reboot. I drop from online games, for example, then check the modem lights and all seems fine. But I have no connectivity at all. I run docsdiag and quite often I get "cable modem not found". This usually corrects itself in five minutes or so, but man is it annoying.

2) I get a full modem reboot. I haven't seen an uptime of 24 hours in quite some time now. This used to occur at almost the same time everyday -- about 2pm. Lately, the times have been shifting around a bit.

Stats:

Modem: ntlhome 120
Package: 300k

Downstream Receive Power Level : -5.03 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 33.41 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 45.00 dBmv

From what Robin's site says it looks like my downstream receive power level might be too high into the negative. I suppose the SNR could be a bit higher too.

I'm in teesside in the TS14 postcode.

Anyone else getting this behaviour? I've seen a few posts of what looks to be similar problems, but I thought it best to keep this seperate as not to confound different issues.

Basically, any help/suggestions/ntl folk's comments would be greatly appreciated. I have given it long enough to sort itself out and it looks like that approach isn't going to pay off and the annoyance factor has reached tipping point.

Thanks.

Paul
21-09-2004, 12:59
Sounds like one for our resident techies - not sure if any are around atm, but they should see this at some point. :)

Heed
04-11-2004, 15:37
*bump*

This mysteriously fixed itself a few days after the original post and has been fine since then. Today, it started up again with the same symptoms except I haven't seen a full modem reboot yet.

Anyone else having these problems again?

Really getting annoying now...

Hope this is just network related maintenance and is short-lived. If it goes on very long this time I don't see much point in the "service". *shrug*

Neil
04-11-2004, 16:22
*bump*

This mysteriously fixed itself a few days after the original post and has been fine since then. Today, it started up again with the same symptoms except I haven't seen a full modem reboot yet.

Anyone else having these problems again?

Really getting annoying now...

Hope this is just network related maintenance and is short-lived. If it goes on very long this time I don't see much point in the "service". *shrug*

Have you spoken to ntl about it?

KevAmiga
05-11-2004, 17:52
If you can PM me your Mac adress from the bottom of the modem I can check it out for you :-D

Kev