PDA

View Full Version : NTL + my router problem

Thorny
20-09-2004, 19:21
Hi I have just got a 3com office connect secure router with the latest firmware. I have tried to set it up on my NTL connection and it feels like its half right.

To get it to connect at all I had to clone the cable modem MAC ID to the router. The PC mac ID sent me to NTL's virus page thinking I had a netsky virus(i scanned for it just in case). When I put my cable modem mac ID in it kind of worked. I could access websites but not use things such as online games/irc msg ect.

Could anyone advice me on what I am doing wrong? does anyone have a 3com officeconnect secure router?

Update. I seem to have an odd IP address aswell which is 10.143.104.**
I normally have an 80.5.***.***

Some websites I cannot connect to, like google, it redirects me to outbreak.ntli.com but says its forbidden and I do not have permission to view the site =/

Many Thanks

Thorny
20-09-2004, 19:40
hmm seems to have sorted itself out.
I have PC's macID in the router again and it works fine. must of been a glitch =/

homealone
20-09-2004, 19:56
I don't have a 3com router, but afaik it is unusual to have to mess around cloning MAC addresses when connecting via cable modem - most routers will work 'out of the box' with default settings.

- if it was me, I would reset everything back to default (obtain IP automatically, DHCP server enable, no MAC cloned) & try it again. (a full reboot of everything after resetting the router is probably a good idea, too)

hth :)

- aha, I see you have it sorted, 'alright folks don't touch that dial' - if it works don't try & fix it, but the above may help if you have any further problems :)

gazbiggs
20-09-2004, 20:23
I have PC's macID in the router again and it works fine. must of been a glitch =/

Hi,

Not a glitch - that's the way it's supposed to work.

Your router (by default) has a different MAC address to your PC, so ntl think you have connected a different PC hence the 10.x.x.x IP address.

From here you would have needed to go through the registration process to register the new MAC address with ntl then rebooting the cable modem and router would have given you the more familiar 80.x.x.x IP address.

I never seemed to be able to get this to work with my netgear router though!!!

Allowing the router to spoof/clone the PC's IP address is the same as connecting the PC directly as far as ntl is concerned hence all is now working for you.

gazbiggs

Tezcatlipoca
20-09-2004, 20:28
Hi I have just got a 3com office connect secure router with the latest firmware. I have tried to set it up on my NTL connection and it feels like its half right.

To get it to connect at all I had to clone the cable modem MAC ID to the router. The PC mac ID sent me to NTL's virus page thinking I had a netsky virus(i scanned for it just in case). When I put my cable modem mac ID in it kind of worked. I could access websites but not use things such as online games/irc msg ect.

Could anyone advice me on what I am doing wrong? does anyone have a 3com officeconnect secure router?

Update. I seem to have an odd IP address aswell which is 10.143.104.**
I normally have an 80.5.***.***

Some websites I cannot connect to, like google, it redirects me to outbreak.ntli.com but says its forbidden and I do not have permission to view the site =/

Many Thanks

Looks like you briefly got stuck in the ntl "walled garden" for infected PCs.

You shouldn't clone the cable modem's MAC address onto the router - that'd just confuse things! If you need to clone a MAC, it should be the PC's MAC.

Hi,

Not a glitch - that's the way it's supposed to work.

Your router (by default) has a different MAC address to your PC, so ntl think you have connected a different PC hence the 10.x.x.x IP address.

From here you would have needed to go through the registration process to register the new MAC address with ntl then rebooting the cable modem and router would have given you the more familiar 80.x.x.x IP address.

I never seemed to be able to get this to work with my netgear router though!!!

Allowing the router to spoof/clone the PC's IP address is the same as connecting the PC directly as far as ntl is concerned hence all is now working for you.

gazbiggs

:tu:

One slight thing though: with cable modems, you don't need to go through the registration process again (only STBs require registration of each newly connected device). All that is needed is to reboot the modem (or clone the PC's MAC onto the router).