PDA

View Full Version : Does Kirklees have STB BB access?

zippie99
19-09-2004, 12:49
A workmate would like to have broadband installed but the landlord of his house will not let anyone driil a hole through the wall. He has a STB already installed and working for TV.
I rang Customer services about activating broadband via the STB but they said that this is not availble in the Kirklees area. Can anyone confirm that this is the case please.
I was under the false impression that NTL just used the STB if it was there.
Please forgive me if this has been asked before

quadplay
19-09-2004, 12:58
Hi zippie, and :welcome:

The Kirklees area is on what is called the Langley network, which due to the way it works means the STB cannot be used for Broadband, and a SACM (Stand-Alone Cable Modem) would have to be fitted. I assume the PC is in the same room? If so, the only fitting that would be required would be to split the coaxial cable coming into the STB* - no drilling required!

* This MUST be done by an ntl engineer!

zippie99
19-09-2004, 13:02
Thanks for your help - I will get back to NTL customer services and ask them if this can be done.

Unfortunately the PC is not in the same room, but surely they could run the cable inside the house.

Once again thanks

quadplay
19-09-2004, 13:04
I'm sure running the cable inside the house wouldn't be a problem - so long as the house isn't in a particularly odd layout! :)