PDA

View Full Version : Ping average increases

Omar
17-09-2004, 01:16
I've been signed up to ntl: for just over a month now and it's been great but have seen higher pings on average to virtually every server that used to ping superbly low in the past week.

in DOS i used to ping 12 -13 to jolt now i ping 17-18 on average.
the biggest difference seems to be German such as k-play.de and stormix.de where my ping has nearly doubled from 30 to 60.

i've done spyware scan checks which means it aint my pc, tracert's dont show any particular ping spikes or packetloss that would degrade the pings but they areo n average higher and it just weighs over my mind that as a gamer you need the lowest ping possible. Any ideas whats happening if its a known ntl problem or if it could possibly be me? :)

Jon M
17-09-2004, 07:57
12-13 is a very low ping, 5-10 is what you'd get on a LAN.
17-18 is also very good for local servers and understandably overseas servers have a higher ping because there is a bigger distance and more hops (network hardware devices) to go through which adds to the ping.
30-60 is still very good and will not impact on your gaming performance.

pop80_uk
17-09-2004, 08:49
Humour me....whats a ping? Whats it do? How do I check mine? :)

Jon M
17-09-2004, 08:58
click your "start" button, then click on the "run" button.. in the resulting window type "ping www.ntlworld.com" .. simple as that.

It tells you how quickly a target machine is responding over your connection... a packet (parcel of data) is passed between the two, and the time taken to do so is reported.

pop80_uk
17-09-2004, 09:32
Clever stuff, I will check that out.

Omar
17-09-2004, 12:36
it's not the facty that i think it's a bad ping it's just weird to me how pings to certain servers have nearly doubled.. could it be the fact that ntl might have changed some routers or something to those servers?

the worst affected servers seem to be German servers though the rest ping only a little higher :/

Jon T
17-09-2004, 12:47
click your "start" button, then click on the "run" button.. in the resulting window type "ping www.ntlworld.com" .. simple as that.

It tells you how quickly a target machine is responding over your connection... a packet (parcel of data) is passed between the two, and the time taken to do so is reported.

that operation will just open a dos box, quickly run through the operation and then close, far too fast for the eye to see.

To make this work the command CMD(win nt/xp/2k) or COMMAND(Win 95/98/ME) has to be typed into the run box, and then PING www.ntlworld.com has to typed in at the command prompt within the resulting DOS box.

Jon M
17-09-2004, 12:50
I meant to put that in.. thanks for noticing my mistake :tu:

Jon T
17-09-2004, 15:36
I meant to put that in.. thanks for noticing my mistake :tu:

no problem m8, hope you didn't mind me jumping in!