PDA

View Full Version : "Txt Tlk"

nffc
16-09-2004, 22:58
Is this a bane on modern society, destruction of grammar, or a necessary evolution of the English language?

Or is it just plain annoying and laziness?

Discuss.

Chris
16-09-2004, 23:01
Given the limitation of the SMS system (anyone know how many characters you're allowed, without multi-part messaging?) it has been pretty much essential. The problems arise when someone who uses this 'language' perfectly legitimately in its correct setting, sets out to impose it elsewhere - hence you get idiot teenagers trying to submit GCSE papers written with 'TXT' language peppered throughout and wondering why they get marked down.

Ramrod
16-09-2004, 23:03
Given the limitation of the SMS system (anyone know how many characters you're allowed, without multi-part messaging?) it has been pretty much essential. The problems arise when someone who uses this 'language' perfectly legitimately in its correct setting, sets out to impose it elsewhere - hence you get idiot teenagers trying to submit GCSE papers written with 'TXT' language peppered throughout and wondering why they get marked down.I couldn't have put it better............m8 :D

nffc
16-09-2004, 23:03
Given the limitation of the SMS system (anyone know how many characters you're allowed, without multi-part messaging?) it has been pretty much essential. The problems arise when someone who uses this 'language' perfectly legitimately in its correct setting, sets out to impose it elsewhere - hence you get idiot teenagers trying to submit GCSE papers written with 'TXT' language peppered throughout and wondering why they get marked down. 153.

Totally agree, it's plain lazy in prose, but probably necessary in SMS.

It's a chav thing in a way "do u wnt 2 c'um 2 da prk 4 sum cidr innit" :D

(Sorry about the bypass- it wouldn't mean the same without stars and it's not swearing anyway)

Incidentally, is "txt tlk" banned on here?

Ramrod
16-09-2004, 23:20
Incidentally, is "txt tlk" banned on here?In the main, it ought to be.......imo m8 :D

Paul K
16-09-2004, 23:22
On mobiles text talk is an evil necessity but in real life, on forums and in written format I cringe when it is used. Away from mobiles text speak is just a lazy *******isation (bet the filter loves that word) of the english language that is un-needed and unwanted in my opinion.
Use of text speak in posts often means you have to spend more time figuring out what the person means than it takes to resolve the problem.

Paul
16-09-2004, 23:45
Incidentally, is "txt tlk" banned on here?
Yes ;)

Tezcatlipoca
16-09-2004, 23:50
On mobiles text talk is an evil necessity but in real life, on forums and in written format I cringe when it is used. Away from mobiles text speak is just a lazy *******isation (bet the filter loves that word) of the english language that is un-needed and unwanted in my opinion.
Use of text speak in posts often means you have to spend more time figuring out what the person means than it takes to resolve the problem.

Totally agree :tu:

I can see a need for it when using SMS, but it really annoys me when people use "txt tlk" [and "l33t spk"!!] on forums etc.

Stuart
17-09-2004, 00:07
Is this a bane on modern society, destruction of grammar, or a necessary evolution of the English language?

Or is it just plain annoying and laziness?

Discuss.
It is everything you said apart from the "necessary evolution of the English Language"..

IMO.

In it's place, TXT speak can be usful, but to be honest, when ot texting on a mobile phone,it is pointless and irritating.

Especially on Forums, where the person typing doesn't have the limitation of a phone keypad and 160 characters (the maximum size my P800 will allow before going to another text) storage space, instead using a full keyboard and having up to 10,000 characters storage.

Nidge
17-09-2004, 00:37
On some phones you can send over 1,000 words, I know you can on some Nokias.

nffc
17-09-2004, 00:45
On some phones you can send over 1,000 words, I know you can on some Nokias.
Yes, but it sends as >1 message.

Marge
17-09-2004, 00:50
Debs: ashley :D
my name int : wot who is dis
Debs: what?? in english please !!!!

taken from a messenger chat yesterday (with a teenager) :rolleyes:

kronas
17-09-2004, 00:57
oh yes txt speak is NOT an excuse to write, talk, or use it for any communcation at all, if i need to text someone i 99% of the time use the full word, only on a rare occasion i will shorten a word.

no need for it, only an excuse for those people who cannot spell, unfortunately i know too many people who use txt typing as well as texting :mad:

Nidge
17-09-2004, 00:59
Yes, but it sends as >1 message.

True :D :D :D

Nikko
17-09-2004, 01:03
ne1 who cnt b bvd 2 rite the msg out is a wnkr

Nidge
17-09-2004, 01:13
ne1 who cnt b bvd 2 rite the msg out is a wnkr

:Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: :D :D :D :D :D :D

zoombini
17-09-2004, 08:16
It's really annoying on forums, where people have a full keyboard available. It makes them look so illiterate.

Graham
18-09-2004, 00:25
if u wrt msgs lk ths u cnt spl wrth a dmn!! :D

nffc
18-09-2004, 00:37
if u wrt msgs lk ths u cnt spl wrth a dmn!! :D
innit i iz rly njyn txtn awy on de cabl frm innit lol lol txt txt chav innit m8 wikid

kronas
18-09-2004, 00:38
i think whoever types in text speak should get an automatic red rep ;)

Lord Nikon
18-09-2004, 10:50
Thing is, on most phones now they have predictive text with a T9 dictionary, so txt spk is harder to input than normal english...

as for 1337 5p34k - it's lame, it was always lame, apart from the few who perpetuate it, it USED to be SPeLLeD LiKe THiS, consonants capitalised and vowels in lowercase...

even more annoying though are those who use an extended character set to put their inane messages accross.

nffc
18-09-2004, 12:13
i think whoever types in text speak should get an automatic red rep ;) As you've probably noticed, I can't even txt tlk properly!

Chris
18-09-2004, 13:17
i think whoever types in text speak should get an automatic red rep ;)

As long as we can red rep people who don't make proper use of capitals and punctuation as well. :p:

nffc
18-09-2004, 13:24
As long as we can red rep people who don't make proper use of capitals and punctuation as well. :p:
i thk dat iz a gud idea innit m8 wikid nice 1 lol lol lol lol chav txt

Stuart
18-09-2004, 13:36
As long as we can red rep people who don't make proper use of capitals and punctuation as well. :p:*kronas hastily turns off the reputation system on his account.. :p:

Graham M
18-09-2004, 13:53
Thing is, on most phones now they have predictive text with a T9 dictionary, so txt spk is harder to input than normal english...

as for 1337 5p34k - it's lame, it was always lame, apart from the few who perpetuate it, it USED to be SPeLLeD LiKe THiS, consonants capitalised and vowels in lowercase...

even more annoying though are those who use an extended character set to put their inane messages accross.

Thing is, even with a T9 dictionary, there's only so many characters that you can fit into a text without it becoming a multipart (expensive) message. So its best to fit as many words in as possible.

Richard M
18-09-2004, 15:49
tYpIng LiKe ThIS Is FaR moRe aNoYyIng.

kronas
18-09-2004, 16:11

OI!!! atleast i type whole words, add some punctuation too :p: