PDA

View Full Version : Broadband in Rented Accomodation

enjoymarcus
16-09-2004, 15:09
Hi guys, im new, but have been reading this and the old nthellworld forums for some time.

Anyway, Im a student in Nottingham and recently we moved into our rented accomodation. The people that lived here before had left the broadband modem, and the line still works now, as you can see. They had subscribed to ntl for 12 months at the end of September 2003, so it wll run out soon, anyway we want to keep broadbandand up it to the gold service from the current bronze service. What is the easiest way to go about this? Any replies will be very helpful. Cheers. :tu:

EDIT: We also only want a 9 month contract? Is this possible now? After all the broadband has been at this address on a 12 month contract...

Chris
16-09-2004, 15:15
:welcome: to Cabe Forum, although it sounds like you've been lurking here for quite a while :)

Hopefully someone from CS will be around who can give you advice, but personally I fear you are going to have to go through the process of signing up as if you were never an NTL BB user before and getting them to send you out your own modem etc.

I'd like to believe that they could just port the modem that's already at your digs to your account from the previous one, but that proposition just sounds a little too good to be possible. :( I doubt enough people ask to do that for a procedure to have been written to tell the CS people how to do it.

But, you never know, and it can depend who you speak to.

scrotnig
16-09-2004, 15:20
Hi guys, im new, but have been reading this and the old nthellworld forums for some time.

Anyway, Im a student in Nottingham and recently we moved into our rented accomodation. The people that lived here before had left the broadband modem, and the line still works now, as you can see. They had subscribed to ntl for 12 months at the end of September 2003, so it wll run out soon, anyway we want to keep broadbandand up it to the gold service from the current bronze service. What is the easiest way to go about this? Any replies will be very helpful. Cheers. :tu:

EDIT: We also only want a 9 month contract? Is this possible now? After all the broadband has been at this address on a 12 month contract...
Where abouts in the country are you?

Chris W
16-09-2004, 15:55
:welcome: to Cabe Forum, although it sounds like you've been lurking here for quite a while :)

Hopefully someone from CS will be around who can give you advice, but personally I fear you are going to have to go through the process of signing up as if you were never an NTL BB user before and getting them to send you out your own modem etc.

I'd like to believe that they could just port the modem that's already at your digs to your account from the previous one, but that proposition just sounds a little too good to be possible. :( I doubt enough people ask to do that for a procedure to have been written to tell the CS people how to do it.

But, you never know, and it can depend who you speak to.

Chris T is right :) because of data protection, it is very unlikely that you can just move the modem to an account in your name, so the normal install is the best way to go.

This might be of some benefit to you because there are often special offers for new subscribers, and you will be able to get the 9 month student contract as well if that is better for you.

Have a clicky on the link in my sig ;)

MB

enjoymarcus
16-09-2004, 17:16
Where abouts in the country are you?
Thanks for the fast replies guys. I am in the heart of Nottingham.

l33t_p3t3
16-09-2004, 20:58
Im a Notts Student too, Trent by any chance?

In case u arent aware of the NTL deal mate, they are offering either 750k or 1.5mb Broadband with a free phone line on a 9month contract with free installation.
Thats £225 for the year! Bargain!

enjoymarcus
16-09-2004, 23:37
That sounds like an awesome deal. Yeah im at trent, about to enter my 2nd year, living in forest fields.

Nikko
16-09-2004, 23:49
That sounds like an awesome deal. Yeah im at trent, about to enter my 2nd year, living in forest fields.

Check your pm ;)

scrotnig
17-09-2004, 00:46
Chris T is right :) because of data protection, it is very unlikely that you can just move the modem to an account in your name, so the normal install is the best way to go.

This might be of some benefit to you because there are often special offers for new subscribers, and you will be able to get the 9 month student contract as well if that is better for you.

Have a clicky on the link in my sig ;)

MB
If proof of residency is received, then any existing account will be closed and a new one created.

If it's just broadband, and a modem is already in situ, then in most cases this can be remotely switched to the new account and no crew will be needed. This requires someone with a bit of knowledge and skill to do though.

That would certainly be possible in the NW, as long as suitable proof of residency was faxed in. There's a laid down procedure for it.

quadplay
17-09-2004, 10:43
This requires someone with a bit of knowledge and skill to do though.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there! ;)

enjoymarcus
18-09-2004, 18:17
Ok guys thanks for all the replies and help, i have it completely sorted now. Thanks again. :tu: