PDA

View Full Version : UK hits 100F for first time

yesman
10-08-2003, 15:54
Can we have some RAIN (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3138865.stm) please !!

paulyoung666
10-08-2003, 15:59
we got it in the north east , not just rain though we got hail as well , the size of marbles , and now the sun is back out :spin: :spin:

kink
10-08-2003, 16:04
Originally posted by yesman

Well.... there isn't a water shortage.... for now.... so i say, can we just have less extreme heat! that would mean that i didn't just get home with a liquid chocolate bar :spin: :shrug:

Stuart
10-08-2003, 16:06
Originally posted by kink
Well.... there isn't a water shortage.... for now.... so i say, can we just have less extreme heat! that would mean that i didn't just get home with a liquid chocolate bar :spin: :shrug:

I thought you liked warm chocolate.

grum1978
10-08-2003, 16:06
Yep its very very hot in Berkshire today :)

Steve H
10-08-2003, 16:08
Rain, and some pretty loud thunder here today :p.. Gone sunny now though, bring back the fan :eek:

kink
10-08-2003, 16:15
Originally posted by scastle
I thought you liked warm chocolate.

At room temperature .. yes.... but when my room is at a constant 34c..... and outside it's almost 38c.... by the time i got the choccie bar home it was a chocolate drink :shrug: :(

The shops are just not ready for this type of extreme heat.. and lots of their produce is expiring rapidly or melting....

My choccie bar may have been a drink by the time i got it home.. but the ones in the shop were no better. When the heat finally calms down.... their produce will be unsaleable :(

A great shame for all.

Stuart
10-08-2003, 16:18

A great shame for all.

True, it is.

I can't go in my room at the moment, it's like walking into a blast furnace.. That's with a large fan running.

yesman
10-08-2003, 16:23
RAC spokesperson Tessa Richardson said traffic numbers were up to 20% higher than usual.

Lets all wait for the temperature to go to record levels and then all of us can jump in the motor and get even hotter :rolleyes:

What a good idea :geez:

handyman
10-08-2003, 16:26
where you from paul? I was out on the A19 when it came down, honestly I have expaerienced a hurricane in Florida and I can say this was much worse for a brief period. I was considering pulling to the side on the A19 flyover as I could not see where I was going :O

And to make things worse I left my washing out as well :(

homealone
10-08-2003, 16:27
Lets all wait for the temperature to go to record levels and then all of us can jump in the motor and get even hotter :rolleyes:

What a good idea :geez:

Wonder how many of those drivers only went out 'cos they have air con in the car?:p

kink
10-08-2003, 16:29
I spoke to one shop keeper who was quite desperate... he said that they just didn't have the refridgeration for most of their products... not sure if their insurance will cover it... i suppose there must be something in the contracts to say that adequate safeguards must have been taken to protect the stock from this type of damage... bit like insurance companies not paying out on policies if locks/alarm are not in place in burgled houses or sometimes even living in a high risk area, so they'll probably be 'safeguarded' from having to pay out :shrug:

homealone
10-08-2003, 16:32
Originally posted by handyman
where you from paul? I was out on the A19 when it came down, honestly I have expaerienced a hurricane in Florida and I can say this was much worse for a brief period. I was considering pulling to the side on the A19 flyover as I could not see where I was going :O

he's logged off atm - hope he doesn't mind me answering on his behalf - Teeside.

It has clouded over here in Cleethorpes, but the humidity has gone sky high - hope we get some rain soon. :(

Xaccers
10-08-2003, 16:38
Kink, come over here and I'll show you what to do with runny chocolate :naughty:

I'm in the only room at work with independant AC, the rest of the building only has it running on weedays.
I feel sorry for the security guard out in the lobby, the front of the building is glass, so it's hot as a green house!

homealone
10-08-2003, 16:38
I spoke to one shop keeper who was quite desperate... he said that they just didn't have the refridgeration for most of their products... not sure if their insurance will cover it... i suppose there must be something in the contracts to say that adequate safeguards must have been taken to protect the stock from this type of damage... bit like insurance companies not paying out on policies if locks/alarm are not in place in burgled houses or sometimes even living in a high risk area, so they'll probably be 'safeguarded' from having to pay out :shrug:

Last weekend, with Cleethorpes full of very hot holidaymakers, there was a powercut - ice-cream melted, beer pumps wouldn't work etc. The various businesses lost loads of money - and 'cos the outage was repaired within the time allowed in the Service Level Agreement, they didn't qualify for compensation.:(

Xaccers
10-08-2003, 16:48
Just read the article, and I can confirm it's bloody hot down here near Heathrow!
Anyone got an egg?

yesman
10-08-2003, 16:51
Originally posted by Xaccers
Just read the article, and I can confirm it's bloody hot down here near Heathrow!
Anyone got an egg?

Do you want to hatch it or cook it Xaccers :D

kink
10-08-2003, 16:54
Do you want to hatch it or cook it Xaccers :D

B the sounds of what he's planning to do with the runny chocolate... he may well lay the egg himself :p :naughty:

handyman
10-08-2003, 16:59
Another handyman first :-
teesside at 11am, after the rain eased off a bit :)

you wanted rain?

Download Failed (1)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.jone-junn/images/rain2.JPG

sunny my arse :(

paulyoung666
10-08-2003, 17:03
@ homealone , no problem mate :)
@ handyman , norton to be exact , but we were at the sheep wash , osmotherly , we headed out towards huton rudby and gave up , the road was impassable :eek: :eek: , turned round back to osmotherly and couldnt get out of there one way and had to go further south to get onto A19 , the hail was the size of marbles :eek: , must admit it was the worst i have ever seen in such a short space of time :spin:

handyman
10-08-2003, 17:08
lol just round the corner from me yet just been out and you would think it had only been spitting?

paulyoung666
10-08-2003, 17:11
mad aint it , whereabouts are you then ????????? :)

handyman
10-08-2003, 17:13
Roseworth at the moment originally from Redcar. There where kids swimming in a pool by the side of the road at the entrance to ragpath lane? Thats just mad esp since it came down in 30mins at the most.

yesman
10-08-2003, 17:23
Another handyman first :-
teesside at 11am, after the rain eased off a bit :)

you wanted rain?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.jone-junn/images/rain1.JPG

sunny my arse :(

Well I think most of us will get that at some point, just to clear the air would be good.

I hope you had your hands on the steering wheel btw Handyman :D

handyman
10-08-2003, 17:27
Well I think most of us will get that at some point, just to clear the air would be good.

I hope you had your hands on the steering wheel btw Handyman :D

Yes It has cleared the air, and one hand is sufficient to drive with thanks :)

paulyoung666
10-08-2003, 17:42
Roseworth at the moment originally from Redcar. There where kids swimming in a pool by the side of the road at the entrance to ragpath lane? Thats just mad esp since it came down in 30mins at the most.

the A19 was flooded just north of the second norton turn off , do you know where the blue bridge is on the ring road ???????? , i reckon that will have been flooded as well :spin: :spin:

Marge
10-08-2003, 17:51
Please, no more rain. Came back from Florida this morning and it rained there nearly every day for 2 weeks, thought I would come back to a heatwave and no, more damm rain...... :cry: :cry:

Jules
10-08-2003, 18:35
It is a little cooler here in Leeds today...still need the windows open and the fan on though

Cantona
10-08-2003, 19:46

It was like that on the A59 near Gisburn (Lancashire) at 9am this morning.

We were walking around a nearby car boot sale (there was a bit of mist in the air), then suddenly it went black (and I mean black) and it started to throw it down. We ran back to the car, and then the heavens really did open - it was the worst weather I have experienced in my life. You couldn't even see 1 yard in front of you. Cars were pulling over it was that bad, but we just carried on very slowly with our hazard warning lights on (10mph on a 60mph road!), and eventually we drove out of the weather.

I can honestly say it resembled being in a tornado, the worst severe flash floods I have ever seen. I wish I had my camera to take a photo, because words cannot adequately describe what it was like.

TigaSefi
10-08-2003, 20:14
I was driving in Gillingham back to my parents in my Air con Audi and the thermometer on the dashboard hit 39C Never EVER seen it that high.

dieselking
10-08-2003, 20:23
In north Lancashire today it rainned here for about 3 hours this morning & we had aa thunder storm which last 1 1/2 hours. (our dog is terrified of thunder, she hid upstairs for about 4 hours after) It has been a lot cooler & the forecast said it will be all week (thank god):):)

Steve H
10-08-2003, 20:40
Just goes to show how screwed up the world is getting!

paulyoung666
10-08-2003, 20:46
Originally posted by Cantona
It was like that on the A59 near Gisburn (Lancashire) at 9am this morning.

We were walking around a nearby car boot sale (there was a bit of mist in the air), then suddenly it went black (and I mean black) and it started to throw it down. We ran back to the car, and then the heavens really did open - it was the worst weather I have experienced in my life. You couldn't even see 1 yard in front of you. Cars were pulling over it was that bad, but we just carried on very slowly with our hazard warning lights on (10mph on a 60mph road!), and eventually we drove out of the weather.

I can honestly say it resembled being in a tornado, the worst severe flash floods I have ever seen. I wish I had my camera to take a photo, because words cannot adequately describe what it was like.

much the same here mate , did you have the hailstones as well ?????????

Ramrod
10-08-2003, 21:22
I live just down the road from Gravesend ( allegedly the hottest place in the country) and the temp here was 47degs in the sun:D and 39 in the shade. So I dont know where they got their figures from....

TigaSefi
10-08-2003, 21:56
All this officiallly announced numbers are crap..... I am not sure how they measure it. I m sure it was more than 38.1.....like i said my car said it was 39 outside too on the A289 with one other care on the road so it was pretty accurate.

danielf
10-08-2003, 22:02
Originally posted by TigaSefi
All this officiallly announced numbers are crap..... I am not sure how they measure it. I m sure it was more than 38.1.....like i said my car said it was 39 outside too on the A289 with one other care on the road so it was pretty accurate.

I would imagine with a calibrated very accurate thermormeter, in very precisely laid out surroudings, so measurements can be compared against each other. I don't think your car thermo qualifies as such.

Marcus_Tandy
10-08-2003, 22:02
Its raining and Thundering here and has been for the past 5 hours or more in Northampton

bob_a_builder
10-08-2003, 22:57
I don't think your car thermo qualifies as such
almost certainly not - since it also seems to be affected by the number of cars on the road as well as temperature

on the A289 with one other care on the road so it was pretty accurate

yesman
11-08-2003, 00:19
Originally posted by danielf
I would imagine with a calibrated very accurate thermormeter, in very precisely laid out surroudings, so measurements can be compared against each other. I don't think your car thermo qualifies as such.

I am sure I read somewhere that the temperature is recorded by a "mean average" reading i.e. taken from several points, then added together and then divided by the number of readings over a certain time period, hence that in some places it will be hotter and in some places it will be cooler, and there was an equation which I can't remember.

I am sure I will be corrected on this, anyway as far as I am concerned, it has been bloody hot :)

allanprg
11-08-2003, 00:29
It's been really hot down here in Pompey. I've had all the doors and windows open most of the day. Fans going full blast. And it's still hot now so I won't be sleeping much tonight no doubt.:wavey: :devsmoke:

yesman
11-08-2003, 00:55
Originally posted by allanprg
And it's still hot now so I won't be sleeping much tonight no doubt.:wavey: :devsmoke:

Me Either :(

kronas
11-08-2003, 01:36
Me Either :(

wimps its not that hot :shrug:

Jerrek
11-08-2003, 05:23
Aw what's this!?!! You get a little bit of warm sunshine and you guys start moaning about dying?

Tsk tsk.

Go to your rooms.

:p :p

TigaSefi
11-08-2003, 08:28
lol innit... i slept like a log last night in London just fine....hellishly humid this morning. No sign of the rains yet.

Russ
11-08-2003, 08:30
It's been hammering down in South Wales this morning, cleared up about 10 minutes ago though.

Stuart
11-08-2003, 13:05
Originally posted by Jerrek
Aw what's this!?!! You get a little bit of warm sunshine and you guys start moaning about dying?

Tsk tsk.

Go to your rooms.

:p :p

We are British, it's our right to bitch about the weather.

zoombini
11-08-2003, 13:30
Not only did we have rain, but we also had Thunder & Lightning.

There are reports that 20 people have been injured in lightning strikes.

Closer to me 2 Brownies were injured when lightning struck the Bowley Scout camp building (Lancashire) where they were attending & went right through the building & struck between them (AFAIK).

And here's me come to work without a jacket.... I'll get soaked on the way home tonight... YaaaaaaYYY!

MovedGoalPosts
12-08-2003, 14:52
What a shame the bookies took a pasting over all the bets for over 100 deg. Now they are going to review weather bets. It's no fun amnymore.

Meantime, what are the odds on snow on Christmas Day in London?

Theodoric
12-08-2003, 20:58
At room temperature .. yes.... but when my room is at a constant 34c..... and outside it's almost 38c.... by the time i got the choccie bar home it was a chocolate drink :shrug: :(
<Snip>
My choccie bar may have been a drink by the time i got it home.. but the ones in the shop were no better. When the heat finally calms down.... their produce will be unsaleable :(
Snip>
Apparently, one of the reasons for chocolate having such a sensuous taste is that it softens at body temperature in the mouth. So, yes, you don't want that sensuousness melted out of it, do you. :)