PDA

View Full Version : Litchfield/Rugeley down?

toytown
15-09-2004, 14:45
I checked on the maintance page and couldnt see anything detailed for today.

I phoned up the tech support people who told me it was a problem with my modem and that they would send an engineer around...........i told them it wasnt my modem that was at fault but the UBR perhaps, in the end he wouldnt have it, so i agreed to have the engineer around.

As i have 8 friends in the surrounding area who also have the same problem, which started on all modems at 9:30am this morning, i dont see whats the point but oh well.

Anybody know why its down?

Paul
15-09-2004, 17:34
Unless multiple people actually report the problem then they seem to assume it's local to you. Make sure all your friends report it as well.

toytown
15-09-2004, 19:31
Well it appears like there was maintenance carried out at 9:30am this morning, i dont know how long it lasted, but when i checked my brothers modem at 16:00 his was working ok again. So i checked with the others and 4 of them are working and 3 of my friends modems are still down (mine included)

I called ntl back up, the first person i got to speak to checked a few things out, he seemed to know what he was doing. Then he told me i would need an engineer call, and passed me through to the appropriate person.

However the secondary person, told me that she couldnt book a call as there systems were down, she started to mention a call back thing and then quickly changed her mind and said that i wouldnt need an engineer .

Lol, anyways im back to dial up for now.

BBKing
15-09-2004, 20:09
At a guess, this would be Lichfield UBR 2 card 3/0? Showing a bit of activity round about 9am-10am this morning, since when about 100 modems are missing. If I were a betting man (which I'm not) I'd suspect they did some emergency maintenance and didn't reconnect an area. I'll see if anyone will listen to my bleating at this time of night.

toytown
15-09-2004, 20:13
I hope your able to get somebody to fix it soon :), dial up is a nightmare.

On my SACM the downstream is working fine, but the CM never finds the upstream and resets itself to cycle through the procedure again. I dont know how the areas are designated, but my brother who lives in the same street as me (and connected to the same green box) has his SACM working perfectly.

Thanx anyway bbking

BBKing
15-09-2004, 20:17
If I can get hold of your MAC and your brother's I can see what it looks like from our end. I think it's a relatively small area affected though, but it's definitely showing up on my systems (unfortunately we aren't yet detecting these automatically and sending them to the relevant authorities, something the Boss was keen on me doing ASAP, so I'll crack on with that).

scrotnig
15-09-2004, 20:19
I checked on the maintance page and couldnt see anything detailed for today.

I phoned up the tech support people who told me it was a problem with my modem and that they would send an engineer around...........i told them it wasnt my modem that was at fault but the UBR perhaps, in the end he wouldnt have it, so i agreed to have the engineer around.

As i have 8 friends in the surrounding area who also have the same problem, which started on all modems at 9:30am this morning, i dont see whats the point but oh well.

Anybody know why its down?
It's this whole concept of having 8 friends I find difficult to grasp.

What's it like?

toytown
15-09-2004, 20:28
BBking

The MAC address of my modem is ----
The MAC address of my 1 of my mates modems (also down) is ---

I cannot get hold of my brothers (in the same street) as he has gone to work now :(

Mark B - There not all friends, 3 are brothers and 1 is my nephew the other 4 are friends :p

BBKing
15-09-2004, 21:08
A personal message might have been better! Noted them, so someone please edit that post... :)

You're both on the same UBR, card and upstream, and both on the one I've identified as having a problem and Swansea were already aware. See, we can spot network faults when we try.

toytown
15-09-2004, 21:19
YAY!!!!! up again, thanx alot BBking and any other NTL'ers.

Fidney
15-09-2004, 21:53
Hi m8,

We are in roughly the same area (I'm in Burntwood) and I too am having problems. Early evening yesterday I noticed I kept losing my connection for a couple of mins and then about 8:30 ish it dies altogether and didn't come back until this morning.

Tonight all was fine until about 9pm, and then the shenanigans have begun again. In fact I started typing this on BB, but have had to switch to dial-up to finish and post it.

I had problems too last week that were apparently (per the ntl engineer) a hardware fault with their equipment at my end, but that was supposedly sorted out.

Just wish I knew for sure whether the prob is at my end or at theirs.

I know faults go home at 8pm, and after that time you get a recorded announcement asking you to call back in the morning if you use the freephone number. Broadband tech help are there until midnight, but after 8 you have to use a pay line to get them, and then when you do they can't do much more than log the call.

ntl are without doubt the most frustrating customer UNfriendly company I have had the misfortune to deal with. If only I didn't have their cable TV and telephone I'd be free to sign up with any number of similarly (or even better) priced BB providers!

BBKing
15-09-2004, 23:55
toytown and brothers: You both look back online now, my graphs show 100 modems coming online shortly after9pm, confirmed by the uptime on your modems being ~2:40. So someone was listening...

Fidney - you're on a different UBR, 3 instead of 2. However, the graphs show two sharp dips around 9pm and 10pm. I *really* hope nobody tripped over a cable while fixing UBR 2, because you're definitely offline now. I've put you on monitor overnight and will check back then.

Edit - you came online at 00:00 for three minutes - I got a check in in that time and your transmit power is off the scale - something seriously wrong with your upstream.

Fidney
16-09-2004, 21:09
Hi BBKing - I'm still down (or down again) - my connection was working early this morning as my lad went on the net for a short while before school this morning.

An engineer is coming out to me tomorrow - have you gleaned any info that I can let him know that may help him sort my fault out once and for all?

BBKing
16-09-2004, 21:42
Yes, your modem is transmitting at 61dbmv which is 3 more than the DOCSIS spec officially allows, so your upstream is out of skew.