PDA

View Full Version : Netgear RP114 connectivity problem

satchboy69
15-09-2004, 10:03
Hi all,

I'm a n00b at networking unfortunately but will best try to describe my problem.

I have been running 750k broadband into my ethernet port and soulseek has been working perfectly as has my general internet connection.

However, since installing my router (Broadband connection into WAN port, one connection branched off to my PC, one to my PS2), I'm experiencing difficulty.

My Internet browsing will work perfectly, up until the point where I start Soulseek.

The search results I get are minimal (i.e one or two, for common things), and my downloads do not start.

I can access the rooms, and I can chat and browse user files but that is as far as it goes.

The main problem then - as soon as soulseek starts, my internet connection into Firefox or IE just dies, and pages always timeout. If I stop soulseek, this is still the case, no website connectivity. I physically have to reboot the router to get my connection back up.

I'm using DCHP with my PS2 on a static address and a DMZ set up for it, and I have enabled port forwarding on 2234 as reccomended in the SS forums.

NB: removing the router and goign directly into my ethernet card works perfectly too.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers!

satchboy69
15-09-2004, 10:05
Forgot to add, I did a clean install on saturday night and this problem has persisted. I am not (and havent ran) and software firewalls, and the Windows XP firewall is disabled.

Cheers

Jon M
15-09-2004, 10:22
This is most likely caused by the TCP concurrent connection limit that SP2 for XP brought in... all p2p software that uses multiple connections (most of them) is affected to a lesser or greater extent.. I'll link a fix for you if you wish, but I'd not recommend using it unless completely necessary

satchboy69
15-09-2004, 10:26
s1lv3r,

Thatd be great - I'll run the fix anyway just incase, but I dont know whether this will be the issue as I declined the SP2 upgrade for now as Im not convinced about it's bugginess?

Cheers

Jon M
15-09-2004, 10:32
Is your PS2 set up as the DMZ on your router?.. if so try switching the DMZ to your PC and see if that helps

satchboy69
15-09-2004, 10:51
s1lv3r,

Would that not be a bit......dangerous lol?

Jon M
15-09-2004, 11:10
no.. only if you have no software firewall.. which is easily installed