PDA

View Full Version : not so great connection, pace->samsung

Kotu
15-09-2004, 00:32
Got our box swapped a couple of weeks ago, before the swap the tv was very slow and the broadband (1MB) seemed ok although the upload never went above 20KB/s, after having the samsung box installed the tv is a lot faster but the broadband seems to be worse, the downloads seems to max at ~105 (managed 121kb with the pace) and the upload never goes above ~12kb/s now. There also seems to be a lot more packet loss with the samsung as online games (like natural selection/cs/ut2004) are now very jumpy and are sometimes unplayable.

Ive checked to see if others were downloading while the games were bad (since the bb is connected through a router which is networked to some 7pcs) and its still bad when no one else is using the internet. Ive also noticed that when maxing out the upload (using ftp to send files to a server) the connection becomes unusable for everyone else on the network (unable to even browse).

Im just wondering if packet loss is grounds for getting the connection checked and also whether a SACM might be a better solution with so many pcs connected though the broadband.

thanks for your suggestions on the matter.

gary_580
15-09-2004, 08:57
Have you run one of the speed test tools?

http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/

If your maxing out your upload you would expect that the others sharing the connection would not be able to browse very well.

BBKing
15-09-2004, 09:42
I would certainly suggest not trying to max the upload while playing games, if that's what you're trying. That's always going to lead to problems, on any broadband service.

BigChin
15-09-2004, 14:28
thanks for your suggestions on the matter.
I would suggest taking a look at this topic: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=16336 (in particular the posts by Kneebs).

It sounds like you are having similar problems to him and myself. I've only had the Samsung box a week and already I'm fed up with it (see comments in that topic) so I've arranged to have it swapped for a SACM. You might be wise to do the same...

There seems to be something inherently wrong with these Samsung boxes when it comes to uploading and downloading at the same time...

Kotu
15-09-2004, 22:43
does the sacm have to be used on its own or can it be used alongside the samsung box? Ive been quite happy with the samsung in regards to tv use, it seems a lot better than the pace for tasks such as using the tv guide.

poolking
16-09-2004, 09:50
does the sacm have to be used on its own or can it be used alongside the samsung box? Ive been quite happy with the samsung in regards to tv use, it seems a lot better than the pace for tasks such as using the tv guide.
Yes.

SACM = Stand Alone Cable Modem.

busterdan
30-09-2004, 15:04
I realise...there are so many variables when it comes to speed but on average with the Samsung STB what download/upload speeds are you getting.

Also for comparison what are you getting with the SACM?

I just run a speed test here - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=18068
and also my own upload download test (to/from my NTL webspace)

Downloads average at about 115kb and uploads about 30kb