PDA

View Full Version : Any other way to get connected without restarting windows?

OrangeBattery
15-09-2004, 00:56
Sometimes for no reason when Im online suddenly Im unable to access the net. The only way to sort the problem out is to restart my pc, then everything is fine and Im able to connect again. Its not a huge problem, sometimes it happens twice in one evening then does not happen again for about a month or so. A few minutes ago it happend to me and instead of switching off my pc I went into network connections in xp and chose to repair the connection, windows said it was not responding so I stopped it however I found I was able to access the net again. So all Im asking basically is do other people get this and whats the quickest way to sort it out and get back online when it happens without having to reboot my pc?

I have windows xp
600k service and a cable modem via usb connection

Thanks

nffc
15-09-2004, 00:59
First of all use ethernet not usb. There's a guide to change on http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker somewhere.

Then you can just reboot the modem by pulling the power out for 30s, then repairing the connection in windows.

Nikko
15-09-2004, 01:00
The quickest way is change from usb to ethernet.

Doubtless someone else will point you in the direction of clarifying this.

punky
15-09-2004, 03:56
The way to fix the problem when you have disconnected (Assuming your modem is fine and is recieving a signal), is to do a net repair. You goto:

Start, Settings, Network Connections, and click on Local Area Network. Click the support tab, then click Repair. It does what's called a DCHP release/renew. Alternatively, you can goto Start, Run, and type in: "IPCONFIG /renew". You can put that into a shortcut if it really happens a lot.

HTH.

OrangeBattery
15-09-2004, 12:36
thanks I will try it next time it happens and also sort out the ethernet connection

Nidge
15-09-2004, 18:14
The quickest way is change from usb to ethernet.

Doubtless someone else will point you in the direction of clarifying this.

I'v echanged from USB to ethernet and it's much faster, it only takes about 2 minutes to change over.