PDA

View Full Version : BB Power level major problem!

Jonzy
13-09-2004, 23:25
My problem started around 6-7 weeks ago when a lighting strike in the local area nuked my CM, up until that point I had 18 months almost faultless service.

Got NTL to replace the modem but they refused to pay anything for the router or network switch which we're damaged in the incident.

Since then ive had terrible problems with downstream speed, either nothing or few kb/s. Made several complaints to which I received different levels of service. First I was told it was a service problem in the local area which I doubted very much. Next morning I was told it was just my modem and an engineer would be sent out.

Engineer arrived tested the modem, said the signal levels were ok. But replaced only the modem.

Problem persisted and I called again, engineer sent out again. He said that the new ambit 200 modems had new PSU's and mine hadnt been changed and could be causing problems. Modem and psu and cable all changed.

Problem persisted and I called again, this time a 'senior' :rolleyes: engineer was sent out who check the levels and said they we're way out. Made some changes in the street box and came back. Did some speedtests and it appeared that it was back to normal.

When I was trying to upload some work to FTP i noticed it was either very very slow or dead. Used adslguide.orgs speedchecker and the upload was dead. Still is everytime its run!

Ive also noticed that the CM will drop off my network/stop responding though the us/ds light are flat out. Requires a reboot to fix.

Ive checked my levels etc using docsdiag and compared them to others and my levels seem very much 'out'.

This is a copy of what it throws up

DocsDiag v030720 Copyright 2001-3 Robin Walker rdhw@cam.ac.uk
DOCSIS 1.0 Cable Modem 60678EU <<HW_REV: 1.15 ; VENDOR: Ambit; BOOTR: 3.13.2 ; S
W_REV: 2.67.1011 ; MODEL: 60678EU >>
System up time = 0 days 00h 23m 30.00s
Downstream channel ID = 3
Downstream channel frequency = 402750000 Hz
Downstream received signal power = 6.0 dBmV
Upstream channel ID = 4
Upstream channel frequency = 25584000 Hz
QoS max upstream bandwidth = 256000 bps
QoS max downstream bandwidth = 1536000 bps
SigQu: Signal to Noise Ratio = 36.9 dB
Cable modem status = Operational
Upstream transmit signal power = 26.8 dBmV
Date and Time = 2004-09-13,21:23:33.0
Configuration filename = ntlhm200-gold.cm

Can anyone confirm that this is normal or that there indeed is a problem. I need some more technical backing before I can really hammer NTL tech support.

Cheers in advance

Jonzy

Tezcatlipoca
13-09-2004, 23:35
:welcome:

Going by Robin Walker's page (here specifically: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html#goodlevs), your power levels & SNR appear to be fine.

But it does seem like you have a problem!

As for ntl not replacing the router & switch: well, that's nothing to do with them, to be honest, so there is no reason why they should do so.

Hopefully one of the ntl techs who frequent the site will be along to give you some help :)

johnwileqs
14-09-2004, 00:47
downstream level appears on the high side, a stealth signal meter would be more accurate, it should be as near to zero as possible. you stated you have an ambit 200, go to the modem engineering screens via 192.168.100.1 username & password should be "root" and post those to see what the modem is reporting. going to bed now will check back in the morning.

Jonzy
14-09-2004, 09:39
:welcome:
As for ntl not replacing the router & switch: well, that's nothing to do with them, to be honest, so there is no reason why they should do so.

I understand that, thats why I didnt push it. Im just annoyed that that the only point I cant protect against damage is the coax?

Ive checked the ambit web screens and seems to give pretty much the same numbers as docsdiag.

This morning the connection was useless regardless of how many times I rebooted the modem. MSN wont signin, http access is dead.

Jonzy
14-09-2004, 17:57
Update - My cable appears to be fine!

When I explained the circumstances of the orginal fault (lighting strike) the engineer explained that isolator should have blown first before my equipment (this is my argument for replacing my equipment), thinking about this I asked would it be possible that the isolator was damaged and hadnt blown, NO was the reply!

Since my phone call this afternoon NTL can shove theyre T&C's where the sun dont shine! I wasted 45 mins pulling furniture around to access the cable entry into the house and removed the isolator. Connected a f-f coupler to the coax and connected the modem. Bingo! 180k/s ds and 30k/s up.

Now where do I stand getting the isolator replaced, since I have technically violated my T&Cs :D

The only reason I havent attempted this previosuly is that the bumhead who installed the cable point must have thought real long and hard about the worst place he could have installed it ;) :rolleyes: ... behind a double bed