PDA

View Full Version : Switching from NTL to ADSL

dialanothernumb
13-09-2004, 14:40
I remember someone posting, back in the dark days of the closedown of .com, some advice on how to change smoothly from NTL to ADSL. I can't find the post but perhaps someone who's done it could help.

The principle objective is to not lose my broadband connx.

This is how I was going to do it:
1. Telephone NTL and cancel all services with 30 days notice
2. Telephone BT and have them install a BT line 2 weeks before the cancellation day with NTL (I'd pay for 2 weeks of un-needed NTL telephone because of this)
3. On the day BT set up their line, put an order in to my ADSL provider. This would take up to a week to go through.
4. Once my new ADSL ISP has set up the connx, switch over from cable modem to ADSL modem

My thought is that this would give me the leaset likelihood of having no broadband, but are my assumptions okay, or are real life experiences different.

Also, If BT set up a new line using my NTL number, two weeks before NTL is due to terminate, will the fact that BT have ported my phone number mean that ALL NTL services will cease. I am pretty convinced that wouldn't happen but wanted to be sure

Thanks all

DeadKenny
13-09-2004, 14:47
Well, I'm going through this process at the moment and got given some handy links to these threads...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=4697
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=5145

The way I'm doing it however is...

1. Phone BT and ask for a reconnection.
2. As I asked for the number ported across, BT will do all the work and cancel the NTL phone line for me when it's switched over :tu: (no notice is required for NTL apparently, or so BT say).
3. When I've got the BT line, I contact someone like PlusNet and request ADSL.
4. If my line passes the tests, I go buy an ADSL Modem.
5. When/if ADSL is up and running I cancel NTL Broadband (Wahey!)

This way there's no need to risk losing the NTL stuff should the ADSL application go tits-up. I certainly wouldn't cancel all your NTL stuff before applying for BT and/or ADSL.

Note that if you have pre-existing wires for BT reconnection is free, however if BT can't find existance of an existing line (even if you think it's there), they'll try and charge you £75 (as they are with me :(). It might be the same also if the line has been re-assigned and they need to do some work to reconnect you.