PDA

View Full Version : help for 118 companies...

Russ
09-08-2003, 20:54
Having spent all day out on the floor listening in to the very people you speak to when you call 11 88 88, I have thought up some tips to make everyone's directory enquiry experiences a lot better. This applies to all 118 companies by the way.

If your chosen company has a 'cute' little phrase such as in the way '11 88 88' is sung in the adverts, don't ask the operator if they'll do it for you. They will say no. They will say no.

None of the enquiry companies can trace a number you give them, so please don't get irate when they say they are unable to help.

Please try to find out as much information about the person/company whose number you're looking for, such as address etc. Asking for 'Jones and Son Builders' and saying all you know is they're in East London will put you in for a call which is going to last you a VERY long time...

Not sure about other companies but 11 88 88 will now not be able to do a search for you if you have no idea where a company is from.

Please learn the difference between 'not listed' and 'ex-directory'. 'Not listed' means the person has specifically chosen to not be in the phone book, so we cannot tell if they're there. Telling the operator "It must be there, I was at his house last week!" is therefore pointless. 'Ex-directory' means they ARE listed but do not wish for their number to be given out.

If the number you want is business or residential, please tell the operator at the start of the call. It cuts down on the length of the call which of course you are paying a minimum of 20p per minute for.

Ramrod
09-08-2003, 22:34
Thanks for the advice/info:)

Lord Nikon
09-08-2003, 22:37
Or better still, use BT online directory enquiries or yell.com :D

the cost is free, and you can narrow down the search as much as you want in as much time as you want. :D

Plus you don't have to use notepad or a piece of paper & a pen to make a note of the number you are about to dial

LooeyUK
09-08-2003, 23:35
thats the way, the 119 companies are all con artists,

USE WWW.YELL.COM!

Ramrod
09-08-2003, 23:44
Originally posted by LooeyB
thats the way, the 119 companies are all con artists,

USE WWW.YELL.COM! Well at least I'm on there:D

Shaun
09-08-2003, 23:46
www.ukphonebook.com

Excellent!:D

Russ
10-08-2003, 09:47
thats the way, the 119 companies are all con artists

Maybe, but the 118 companies aren't :D

Or better still, use BT online directory enquiries or yell.com

the cost is free, and you can narrow down the search as much as you want in as much time as you want.

Plus you don't have to use notepad or a piece of paper & a pen to make a note of the number you are about to dial

A bit difficult when you're driving down the M4 :D :D

Plus we can do phonetic searches, ie we also automatically search for company names which sound similar, very useful when you're looking for that Indian/Chinese/Italian restaurant which you're not sure the name of :)

Jerrek
12-08-2003, 18:13
What is 118?

Ramrod
12-08-2003, 19:19
Originally posted by Jerrek
What is 118? It's our new directory enquiries number(s)

Captain_caveman
12-08-2003, 20:13
when will ntl let us dial the other numbers for directory enquiries? (i.e 118888)
I've only been able to dial 118 118. and they have not showered themselves in glory the 2 times i have phoned them for a phone number.