PDA

View Full Version : Getting Connected To The Ethernet

chris2626
08-09-2004, 22:07
Hi All

can you please help me.I have been trying to connect to ethernet for some time with ntl and after having been advised by variuos people of what i should do,it still does not work. Usb works ok although connecting seems to be getting slower,despite the free upgrade from 150 to 300.i have had my computer checked in the shop everythink seems to be ok. It connected in the shop, so i tried the shop ethernet cable at home and still no connection. I am wodering after many attempts to connect over a period of months that maybe i have a faulty modem box. Please advise if u can help.

Stuartbe
08-09-2004, 22:09
Hi All

can you please help me.I have been trying to connect to ethernet for some time with ntl and after having been advised by variuos people of what i should do,it still does not work. Usb works ok although connecting seems to be getting slower,despite the free upgrade from 150 to 300.i have had my computer checked in the shop everythink seems to be ok. It connected in the shop, so i tried the shop ethernet cable at home and still no connection. I am wodering after many attempts to connect over a period of months that maybe i have a faulty modem box. Please advise if u can help.

Hi Chris2626 and a great big :welcome: to the forum.

What actualy happens when you connect via ethernet ? Can you give some info on what lights come on ect.

Gaz22
08-09-2004, 22:12
Hi All

Check to see if your network card is in properly (I had this problem). Also check that the ethernet cable connecting the modem to your computer is in properly aswell.

chris2626
08-09-2004, 22:13
I Dont Even Get The Ethernet Light Much At All Sometimes Blinks Intermittently

Stuartbe
08-09-2004, 22:15
Are you connecting via a STB (set top box) or a sacm (stand alone cable modem) ?

chris2626
08-09-2004, 22:16
Check to see if your network card is in properly (I had this problem). Also check that the ethernet cable connecting the modem to your computer is in properly aswell.
tried all of that at the shop,i must admit it was that at first but everything works when in the shop

chris2626
08-09-2004, 22:20
ive just got a silver flat box,see i dont even know what u call this

Stuartbe
08-09-2004, 22:21
If its a small silver box with NTL HOME 100 on it then its a SACM

It may be that you are using the wrong type of cable (there are two) have you tried another cable ?

chris2626
08-09-2004, 22:26
yes a small silver box although no coding on it but the reference u say i think ive heard of.As for the cable, yes tried two differebt ones. The one ive been told should work is the rj45 male to male,which as i say works at the shop but not when i try it at home,which makes me think i have a faulty box.

Stuartbe
08-09-2004, 22:29
Can you have a look at the coloured cables on the connectors. Hold the connectors side by side with the plastick tab away from you. If the colours are all in line then it is a strieght through cable if they are not in line then its a cross over cable... Compare the two cables.. It could be that you are using a crossover cable.

The other option is to take the cable modem to the shop with the pc. It wont get on the network of corse but it will help the tech in the shop find the problem.

HTH

chris2626
08-09-2004, 22:36
u seem to know what your talking about.I should have said that i did try both the crossover first,which apparently wrong anyway and told to use the straight connector which is what i have now. Thanks for your help though

Stuartbe
08-09-2004, 22:39
It could be that the port is faulty then. Does the card in the pc have a link and an act light ?

Do any of the lights blink if you wiggle the cable ?

greencreeper
08-09-2004, 22:45
What did they do in the shop to show that it worked? And what makes you think it's not working - what have you done to make it work? E.g. uninstalled USB drivers, changes to the TCP/IP settings, and so on?

chris2626
08-09-2004, 23:03
sometimes the light blinks if i wiggle the cable.

chris2626
08-09-2004, 23:04
i wasant told to do anything like that and ntl dont say any different

nffc
08-09-2004, 23:29
sometimes the light blinks if i wiggle the cable.
hmm, sounds like a dodgy port or a s*** cable then, try a different cable to find out which, one which you preferably know works.

They're pretty cheap from Maplins or anywhere really.

Nikko
08-09-2004, 23:54
Have you tried switching the PC and especially the modem off when you change the connection?

Shaun
09-09-2004, 00:34
Have you tried switching the PC and especially the modem off when you change the connection?

An excellent point Nikko.

Try reading here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html#usbswap

chris2626
30-09-2004, 21:42
now connected and guuess what, afaulty box. thanks to you all who helped
;)

Nikko
30-09-2004, 21:45
now connected and guuess what, afaulty box. thanks to you all who helped
;)

:tu: :)