PDA

View Full Version : Broadband problems

avit
07-09-2004, 17:03
hi there, i live in the rochdale area of greater manchester and sadly im with NTL :Yikes: , anyway ive been with them for about a month now and everything seemed to be going peachy with my 1.5mb connection, that was until last thursday when i had the added bonus of the internet connection not working. i love paying for things what dont work, makes me feel im earning money for a good purpose.(sorry about the sarcasm im a little annoyed here) . OK ill get to the point....... the connection drops out all the time i.e. ill be on the internet for about 20mins and then it wont work. Im using the ethernet connection although i have tried it wuth usb and the same still happnens. Some times when the connections drops the sync light on the sacb goes out (which is a beautiful sight) other times the connections will appear to be working but i cant access webpages or ping anything, ive done the 127.0.0.1 an the modem pings its self fine. yee ha its just gone out of sync while im typing this oh baby what a beautiful thing that is...... i phone ntl "techincal" support on friday and they said they would have an engineer phone me in 48hours, so i though fair enough im not the only customer in the world they need to help but 4days later NOTHING, not even hey there sunny jim hows it hanging.... so i guess my question is what the hell is up with the connection because ill be on my death bed before the amazingly talented and dedecated NTL peeps even think about trying to sort this..

heres some details if this helps

Windows XP,
NTL home 100 modem (i think, its siver)
Stand alone Cable modem
Very ****ed off

Downstream Lock : LockedDownstream Frequency : 586750000 HzDownstream Modulation : QAM64Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12increment17Downstream Receive Power Level : -9.5 dBmVDownstream SNR : 30.7 dB

Upstream Channel ID : 6Upstream Transmit Power Level : 56.50 dBmVUpstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/secUpstream Frequency : 46384000 HzUpstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Chris W
07-09-2004, 17:06
I wouldn't post your mac address on a public forum...

although i have taken a copy and have a look what is happening when i am in work tonight

and :welcome: to the forum :)

avit
07-09-2004, 17:12
thx that would be appriciated

DeadKenny
07-09-2004, 18:31
Downstream Lock : LockedDownstream Frequency : 586750000 HzDownstream Modulation : QAM64Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12increment17Downstream Receive Power Level : -9.5 dBmVDownstream SNR : 30.7 dB

Upstream Channel ID : 6Upstream Transmit Power Level : 56.50 dBmVUpstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/secUpstream Frequency : 46384000 HzUpstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

My bet is...

You've got downstream power level problems.
-9.5 dBmV is a bit out, and it might also explain the SYNC light issue.
The downstream SNR is okay though.

Also your upstream power level is near the limit, but it's probably okay for the moment. When you get your downstream fixed (you'll need an engineer call out for it), you may later find upstream problems (RDY light will go out or flash).

Might be worth looking at this...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html

BBKing
07-09-2004, 18:33
US TX of 56 odd is near the top of the range, wouldn't take much to push it over. MB - this gent should be a good candidate to test my tool which went live for testing today...

DeadKenny
07-09-2004, 18:47
US TX of 56 odd is near the top of the range, wouldn't take much to push it over. MB - this gent should be a good candidate to test my tool which went live for testing today...

Sounds interesting. Interested in testing it on mine too? ;)

My upstream is at 58, modem (SB4100) is rebooting loads with the Send light flashing most of the time. Downstream is okay though.

Frequency 402750000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 34 dB
QAM 64
Network Access Control Object ON
Power Level -1 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID 2
Frequency 36784000 Hz Ranged
Ranging Service ID 1033
Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s
Power Level 58 dBmV

You can check my IP address to get the MAC if that's possible, or I can PM it to whoever needs it. The IP should be whatever tjmoore.co.uk resolves to.

avit
07-09-2004, 19:30
thnks for the replys guys, an engineer should be phoning me soon i hope :)

avit
07-09-2004, 19:38
id love to test ur new tool, just tell me how :)

avit
07-09-2004, 19:46
i think i know what the problem is thx to the links you have sent me, when the modem disconnects the Upstream Transmit Power Level goes to 59.0 dBmV and the Downstream SNR goes ti 23.5 dB, so it looks as i need the singal sorting.. just hope they can sort it and is not im gonna have to go back to dsl :( thx guys

BBKing
07-09-2004, 22:01
id love to test ur new tool, just tell me how

1) Get a job at ntl
2) Ask me for the link

:)

Gents - drop me the MACs and I'll check, but I think monkeybreath might be checking it out soon.

59 is over spec - the modem would almost certainly drop (although I've seen em online at 61 you really shouldn't).

D/S SNR is irrelevant when discussing upstream TX power - different RF channels. 23 isn't great, but it is workable.

DK - you have a 58 at the moment. I'd expect that to cause problems.

Chris W
07-09-2004, 22:28
1) Get a job at ntl
2) Ask me for the link

:)

Gents - drop me the MACs and I'll check, but I think monkeybreath might be checking it out soon.

59 is over spec - the modem would almost certainly drop (although I've seen em online at 61 you really shouldn't).

D/S SNR is irrelevant when discussing upstream TX power - different RF channels. 23 isn't great, but it is workable.

DK - you have a 58 at the moment. I'd expect that to cause problems.

BBKing... didn't get a chance to test the new tool today... was having pc "issues" for most of the shift...

Did have a little look at what is going on here... and i will PM avit with the details :)

Stop It
08-09-2004, 01:23
Ooh, you couldnt have a go at chucking mine down a little bit as well please, my upstream power is very high, but its stable, has been for the last year, but if it can be lowered then kewl...

Downstream Receive Power Level : -4.02 dBmv Downstream SNR : 32.19 dB Upstream Transmit Power Level : 57.25 dBmv

DeadKenny
08-09-2004, 10:18
Ooh, you couldnt have a go at chucking mine down a little bit as well please, my upstream power is very high, but its stable, has been for the last year, but if it can be lowered then kewl...

In my experience you'll need an engineer out to do that (and even then they won't make much difference).

If you're not having problems though then priority should be given to those of us (like me) who are having problems.

avit
08-09-2004, 17:48
just wanna say thx for ur time, theres an engineer coming tomorrow morning. i bet the connection will work and he will say theres nothing wrong and ill be back to square one.... i love optimisim

Gaz22
08-09-2004, 22:09
just wanna say thx for ur time, theres an engineer coming tomorrow morning. i bet the connection will work and he will say theres nothing wrong and ill be back to square one.... i love optimisimGet him to check EVERY LAST bit of your net connection. He should pick up the problem whether your connection is working at the time or not.

I had a similar problem to your's and the engineer replaced my modem. And haven't had any problems since (touching wood of course :erm: ).

avit
09-09-2004, 13:22
hi, just to let you know an engineer came round nad increased my signal strength and swaped the modem with a new one... after hours waiting for them to register the new modems mac addy the connection is back up, just gotta see now if if goes down again :)

heres my stats now if anyone is interested

Downstream Receive Power Level : -2.47 dBmvDownstream SNR : 32.19 dBUpstream Transmit Power Level : 43.50 dBmv

Downstream Receive Power Level : -2.45 dBmvDownstream SNR : 32.24 dB