PDA

View Full Version : Connectivity problems, need advice please

richierich
06-09-2004, 22:54
Hi all,
I recently went to help out a friend with an NTL broadband (silver broadband modem using ethernet cable) connectivity problem. She was saying that she could surf the internet ok but one day couldn't get online. NTL said it was probably due to viruses on her laptop. So I went over there and used anti-virus software on her laptop and removed many viruses.

She called NTL again and they said the reason she now could not get online (cos they could reach her modem ok) was that it was probably spyware causing it. So back I go again and remove as much spyware as I can using spybot. The next thing NTL said was that the modem is not answering at all from their end and they will get an engineer out. They said the problems were probably the laptop but now that's ok, it's the modem.

The NTL engineer has just been and gone. All he did was plug in in HIS laptop with the ethernet cable and show that he could surf the web ok. I asked my friend to give me a call when he arrives so I can at least chat to him on the phone but he said he was not allowed to talk to me. He was also not allowed to configure her laptop in any way. Plugging his laptop in and using it made it her problem again and she is stuck now as to what the problem is. The thing is, I have recently taken the laptop to my house and plugged it into my LAN (run the XP netsetup disk on it) and hey presto, I'm online using an ethernet cable and her laptop.

(Back at her place again...)
When I do ipconfig /all on her laptop, it's all 0's. I can't ping a website or IP address from her laptop using her NTL connection (but obviously can from my LAN). We've done the usual powering off tests that NTL get you to do and still no luck. The TCP/IP settings are set to obtain an IP address automatically and I can ping the local loopback address ok 127.0.0.1 when I'm at her place so I know her ethernet port is ok.

We're both a bit frustrated at how the engineer acted tonight. He plugged in his laptop, said it's her problem and left. Oh and even managed to throw in a "call us out again and it'll be chargeable!". Which is strange cos NTL called themselves out on this one!

Can anyone help please? Thanks in advance!

Bill C
06-09-2004, 23:00
First off :welcome:

Now could you let use know what area your in and what type of modem is it.

Florence
06-09-2004, 23:07
Try these few things..

1. try disabling the ethernet card and reneable it then try ipconfig.

2. check the settings for the ethernet card that there isn't too many uneeded tcp/ip icons.
to do this start>settings>network and dial up connections> right click the card and click properties.

3. try using USB if she has one on the laptop.

4. Try another computer incase her ethernet card is not faulty.

Good luck.
Edited to add :welcome: to the forums and if anyone can help you our Bill C can. If all of NTL was like Bill and others on these forums who work for NTL the company would be the best.

maverick
06-09-2004, 23:15
Do you live in the same post code area,if so take her modem to your place and connect it there,see if you can browse from your place using her modem with your pc and her laptop.

I hope that makes sense. :D

richierich
06-09-2004, 23:18
Thanks for the replies folks and the nice welcome. :)

We're in the Bournemouth area, does that help? I'm not an NTL customer so I guess you just want the town name. The modem is a broadband silver modem (as I've heard NTL ask on their phone menu if you have the 'silver broadband modem'). It has the coax type cable going in the back and a choice of ethernet or USB and then the power adaptor. She can't use the USB connection because NTL told her she'd never need it so she threw the cable away. :o

There's only one TCP/IP icon in the LAN properties and trying another computer is a good idea. I plan to take over another laptop sometime and try that out. Although the NTL engineer tried his laptop and it worked ok.:confused:

Edit: I live in the same post code area but I do not have NTL here. I use Freeserve.

Bill C
06-09-2004, 23:25
Thanks for the replies folks and the nice welcome. :)

We're in the Bournemouth area, does that help? I'm not an NTL customer so I guess you just want the town name. The modem is a broadband silver modem (as I've heard NTL ask on their phone menu if you have the 'silver broadband modem'). It has the coax type cable going in the back and a choice of ethernet or USB and then the power adaptor. She can't use the USB connection because NTL told her she'd never need it so she threw the cable away. :o

There's only one TCP/IP icon in the LAN properties and trying another computer is a good idea. I plan to take over another laptop sometime and try that out. Although the NTL engineer tried his laptop and it worked ok.:confused:

Edit: I live in the same post code area but I do not have NTL here. I use Freeserve.

Have sent you a pm