PDA

View Full Version : NTL and Windows XP Service Pack 2

macroy spencer
04-09-2004, 18:22
After downloading Microsoft XP Service Pack 2 I have found that I have lost my USB light on the broadband cable modem. This occurred with SP1 as well. In order to reconnect I have had to System Restore thus losing the benefits of these upgrades. I could not reinstall broadband with CD as the "malfunctioning adapter" message came up and the adapter would not be permitted to be uninstalled. I had a great deal of help from the NTL techies but to no avail. What's to be done? I would be grateful for any advice as I would like the benefits of these upgrades.
Roy:disturbd:

Scrubbs
04-09-2004, 18:39
:welcome:

I can't answer your question but i would be interested in the answer have you done a search?

cue nice techy peeps:angel:

Richard M
04-09-2004, 19:05
Why do you need the light?
If the net works I'd just leave it TBH.

macroy spencer
05-09-2004, 00:07
Thanks for the reply. Re the light: There was no internet connection, the USB port wasn't recognised. Microsoft did not have an answer to the specific NTL modem issue.

Richard M
05-09-2004, 00:14
Hmm strange.
You could try going to ethernet instead.

Chris W
05-09-2004, 00:18
Hmm... what chipset do you have? Is it a Via 3038 or SIS 7001?

If you copy the drivers folder, then install sp 2, then write over the "new" folder with the older copy... does it then work?

Caspar
05-09-2004, 00:34
I'd like to reiterate Richard M's advice and go Ethernet, and scrub using USB...USB is a mighty PITA and uses far too much system resources, like wifes and girlfriends ;)

Paul
05-09-2004, 00:38
... and uses far too much system resources, like wifes and girlfriends ;) and Kids ... ;)

A also would advise you to switch to ethernet. :D

Caspar
05-09-2004, 00:39
and boyfriends, and *friends in general sometimes :(

Chris W
05-09-2004, 00:49
I would also suggest ethernet, but i would be interested to know what chipset it is, because it is not the first time that i have heard this problem, and i am trying to get to the bottom of what is causing it...

peacedude2k4
05-09-2004, 01:51
little off topic here but just how much more resources would usb use over ethernet ?

Flubflow
05-09-2004, 07:44
little off topic here but just how much more resources would usb use over ethernet ?

The effect it has obviously varies depending on how powerful your PC is.
If you are running a really powerful network game then you'd want a stable connection and the best speed you can get from you CPU but a USB-cablemodem connection is never going to be as good as a proper ethernet network card for that. On USB, the game or the connection is going to glitch when CPU demand is heavy.
As an extreme example, I remember when I was on dial-up and I had a USB modem on a PII-500 and every time I ran something that was very CPU intensive then the connection would stall and the modem would disconnect (simply loading Apple Quicktime always did this for example). The 56k USB modem was worse than the previous 33k comm port modem I previously had and I couldn't surf and listen to MP3's or other media files from disk at the same time without glitches.

macroy spencer
05-09-2004, 12:07
Hi all,
Many thanks for your kind assistance with my query. I took monkeybreath's advice re the drivers but instead of loading the copied windows driver file I reloaded the mainboard drivers including the USB ones - bingo. The board is an MSI K7N2 Delta 128 bit NVIDIA nForce2 chipset. Very easy for an amateur like me to update.
Roy

macroy spencer
05-09-2004, 12:12
Further to my last: I should have also mentioned that the cable modem 351000 driver on the NTL setup disk also needs to go on (straightforward as the request comes up on screen- just pop in the appropriate disk).
Roy

swoop101
05-09-2004, 12:38
Hi all,
Many thanks for your kind assistance with my query. I took monkeybreath's advice re the drivers but instead of loading the copied windows driver file I reloaded the mainboard drivers including the USB ones - bingo. The board is an MSI K7N2 Delta 128 bit NVIDIA nForce2 chipset. Very easy for an amateur like me to update.
Roy

You have on-board ethernet with that mobo, I would switch to that as the others have said.

peacedude2k4
05-09-2004, 14:51
seems pretty complex to a raw rookie in networking and internet techincal area,s to switch my usb stacb to a ethernet one :dozey: I have lead ....somewhere but all this putting in your own ip addys etc seems pretty complex lol.

Although probally not I shall find it somewhere and experiment on some unlucky soul's pc :D

swoop101
05-09-2004, 16:34
seems pretty complex to a raw rookie in networking and internet techincal area,s to switch my usb stacb to a ethernet one :dozey: I have lead ....somewhere but all this putting in your own ip addys etc seems pretty complex lol.

Although probally not I shall find it somewhere and experiment on some unlucky soul's pc :D

Just plug the ethernet cable from SACM into ethernet port, set internet connection to automaticaly find settings and open your browser. You should then get to the registration page where you fill in your details, add the new computer that is showing and bobs your aunty you are up and running.

Tezcatlipoca
05-09-2004, 17:49
Just plug the ethernet cable from SACM into ethernet port, set internet connection to automaticaly find settings and open your browser. You should then get to the registration page where you fill in your details, add the new computer that is showing and bobs your aunty you are up and running.

No need to register again if using a SACM, it's only if you use an STB to connect that you have to register the new device with ntl.

Info on swapping from USB to ethernet: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html#usbswap

Chrysalis
05-09-2004, 17:51
thing is while I agree ethernet is better, this is in ntl's interest to fix the situation as soon pc's will be shipped with sp2 and their support lines will be flooded when customer's usb internet dont work.

greencreeper
05-09-2004, 18:29
Remove all the NTL USB drivers first - just to make sure there are no conflicts or problems.

swoop101
05-09-2004, 20:25
No need to register again if using a SACM, it's only if you use an STB to connect that you have to register the new device with ntl.

I stand corrected, I wouldn't know about the difference cos I am stuck with STB, they are even making me wait two weeks to get a samsung to upgrade to 1.5mb

peacedude2k4
05-09-2004, 20:32

Info on swapping from USB to ethernet: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html#usbswap
:tu:

peacedude2k4
05-09-2004, 20:36
guess im just too thick but it sounds complex and too much can go wrong when i need this pc working to make a living lol

Tezcatlipoca
05-09-2004, 20:54
guess im just too thick but it sounds complex and too much can go wrong when i need this pc working to make a living lol

Did you read the link I gave above? (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html#usbswap)

Changing from USB to ethernet is *very* simple, & is well worth it.

peacedude2k4
05-09-2004, 21:00
Shut down the operating system, and power off the PC.
Power off the cable modem.
Unplug USB cable from both cable modem and PC.
Connect cable modem's ethernet port to PC's ethernet port (usually with a straight-through ethernet cable (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/ethernet.html#xover)).
Power on cable modem, wait for it to finish booting, with all LEDs in normal condition.
Power on PC.
Do that and im on ethernet because i sure as hell dont wanna be messing with dchp's etc.

Kinda raw rookie in net configurtion and networking and gonna be on one steep learning curve these coming months

Tezcatlipoca
05-09-2004, 21:05
Do that and im on ethernet because i sure as hell dont wanna be messing with dchp's etc.

Kinda raw rookie in net configurtion and networking and gonna be on one steep learning curve these coming months

V v easy. No messing involved. Just a few simple steps like in that link.

For network settings, have a look here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/basicset.html

Again, v simple.

peacedude2k4
05-09-2004, 21:12
Okay forgive my ignorance here but why cant i just shove in the disk of which i paid for when i got my ntl installed and install ethernet like i said im not comfortable setting up a entire internet connection myself!!

Which may me simple to yourself is not to me.

I wish to just use my internet on the most efficient way, i have enough to learn about networking apart from learing how to swtich a lead :/

I shall stick with USB because its simple to install and with all that to do chances of something going wrong when i dont undesrstand it is high

As i was once told a little knowledge is dangerous and i stand by it

Tezcatlipoca
05-09-2004, 21:17
Ethernet is more efficient than USB. Also simpler & easier to use, as there is no need to use ntl's CD & no need to mess around with drivers.

You don't need to shove a disc in. It's just a matter of turn it all off, disconnect USB lead, connect ethernet lead, then turn it all on again (modem, then PC). Can't get simpler than that.

peacedude2k4
05-09-2004, 21:19
Will try it tomoro then but if i have issues will go back to usb

just with all information on dchp etc on there kinda throws a rookie off on subject

Tezcatlipoca
05-09-2004, 21:22
Really m8, it is v simple. Certainly less chance of "issues" than USB.

Just read those links.

The DHCP is not complicated. Network settings simply need to have DHCP enabled (i.e. "Obtain IP automatically") etc. No messing around. It's usually the default setting anyway. Check the Robin Walker link on network settings, & just go through it carefully.

It really shouldn't be a problem :)

Steve H
05-09-2004, 21:25
Will try it tomoro then but if i have issues will go back to usb

just with all information on dchp etc on there kinda throws a rookie off on subject

It's literally that simple!

USB uses your system resources whilst your using it.. ethernet does not. Just unplug & plug back in and away you go! What've you got to lose ? Like you said, any issue's, you can go straight back to the resource sapping connection ;)

peacedude2k4
05-09-2004, 21:30
JUST How much resources does USB take up?

greencreeper
05-09-2004, 22:05
Okay forgive my ignorance here but why cant i just shove in the disk of which i paid for when i got my ntl installed and install ethernet like i said im not comfortable setting up a entire internet connection myself!!

Because Ethernet is too simple to require a CD. The CD contains all the drivers necessary to make it look like your USB PC has Ethernet.

As i was once told a little knowledge is dangerous and i stand by it
Er, boll***s. Adults say that to kids to stop their experimental learning - like it's a bad thing. So long as you aren't messing with a bomb or a chemical set, there's no reason not to have a go :D Fear of making a mistake or getting it "wrong" holds too many people back.

Enough to make it worthwhile swapping to Ethernet :)

Chrysalis
05-09-2004, 22:06
ethernet isnt that easy, when switching from usb if you just plug it in you will not get an ip address other then 169.x or 0.0.0.0 because the modem needs powering of for 15-30 mins first.

Tezcatlipoca
05-09-2004, 22:08
ethernet isnt that easy, when switching from usb if you just plug it in you will not get an ip address other then 169.x or 0.0.0.0 because the modem needs powering of for 15-30 mins first.

Still easy. Doesn't always have to be for that long, either. All you do is power cycle the modem (as it says earlier in the thread, & as it says in the link I've given a couple of times) :)

Marge
05-09-2004, 22:09
If I'm talking anyone through registration at work I always go down the ethernet road with them, so much easier and simple to do

Chris W
05-09-2004, 23:21

Well put it this way... on win98/me you can check the system resources, and to get a decent high speed broadband connection, you should be looking at at least 85% free- which means disabling nearly everything that runs in the background. I believe ethernet uses about 1-2% of system resources.

peacedude2k4
06-09-2004, 00:50
Well i made it onto ethernet although i aint rebooting for a while yet lol not till morning

shutdown pc...

installed ethernet lead ( after removing usb one ;) )

did above while sacm was unplugged and pc shutdown rebooted after installing lead and pluggin modem in..

no internet ...darn..... control panel/network connections showed realtek lan to be disabled/inactive...so just for fun ( experiementing ) i unplugged the ethernet lead on the sacm and put it back in. That instant it detected proxy and settings and wham i am online..

Errr should that happen and am i on ntl lol

willie
06-09-2004, 09:19
It is not usual for this to happen.

It could have been that the cable was not seated correctey the first time you put it in.

peacedude2k4
06-09-2004, 14:33
It is not usual for this to happen.

It could have been that the cable was not seated correctey the first time you put it in.
Thankyou all seems okay now and I must say I see the improvements, internet is more perky, as is when I play on Halo during intensive firing times i notice my ping and system are more pleaseable :D