PDA

View Full Version : Interesting....

Neil
03-09-2004, 10:21
Taken from here (https://secure.ntlfreedom.com/adsl_ort/(radgvo45hbsv0z45gaj2w02g)/broadband_v2.aspx).

Unlimited downloads and uncapped service
no monthly usage limits

Haven't we heard that somewhere before? :rolleyes:

I'm sure that wasn't on there when they first launched 'Freedom' ADSL, I wonder if they have since realised that download caps/"guidelines" are not a good thing?

Chris
03-09-2004, 10:24
Taken from here (https://secure.ntlfreedom.com/adsl_ort/(radgvo45hbsv0z45gaj2w02g)/broadband_v2.aspx).

I'm sure that wasn't on there when they first launched 'Freedom' ADSL, I wonder if they have since realised that download caps/"guidelines" are not a good thing?

This is the second time I've seen NTL quoted as uncapped lately. An article on Broadband pricing in the Times yesterday compared a number of providers on the various statistics (speed, price, cap), and that article had NTL as uncapped. Could've been the Times getting it wrong, of course, but I can't help wonder if they're starting to play it down as 'uncapped' is becoming a major selling point, with Wanadoo introducing ridiculous limits like 1GB a month on some tariffs.

Chris W
03-09-2004, 11:22
Oh joy another cap thread ... :rolleyes:

Until i find someone who has actually had more than a letter as a result of their excessive usage, i will not accept that it is a "capped" service.

Neil
03-09-2004, 11:25

Until i find someone who has actually had more than a letter as a result of their excessive usage, i will not accept that it is a "capped" service.

You're missing the point MB, how can ntl offer an 'uncapped' service on with one hand, & not with the other?

This is not a cap thread-please read carefully before you post with the :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: ;)

Chris
03-09-2004, 11:29

Aww, come on, we haven't had a good cap thread for months! ;)

In any case, this isn't a cap thread as such, it's about how NTL publicises its services, and the point you make is a very valid contribution to it, because as you say there appears to be very little in the way of enforcement of any 'cap'. IMO NTL, despite the higher price, is looking increasingly good value because even if you include a cap in your assessment of it, you get 750k and a 30gb 'cap', compared to 512k and (in some cases) an explicit, automatically enforced 1gb cap.

Chris W
03-09-2004, 11:32
I see your point Neil, but what i was trying to say was that i can see this just turning into an is ntl or is ntl not capped.

Basically, yes the terms and conditions say it is capped... their advertising says it isn't.... and we all know that it may be, but certainly isn't enforced. If you see what i mean :confused:

Oh and just an aside... why is the downsteam capped at 1gig, but the upstream not capped at all, when upstream causes bigger problems with network performance.

Apologies for the :rolleyes: ... didn't get to bed until 6am so might be off again now :tired:

orangebird
03-09-2004, 11:35
You're missing the point MB, how can ntl offer an 'uncapped' service on with one hand, & not with the other?

Because Freedom doesn't run on ntls network, so the usage isn't such an issue as their on net bb? :shrug:

Chris W
03-09-2004, 11:40
Because Freedom doesn't run on ntls network, so the usage isn't such an issue as their on net bb? :shrug:

I thought it might be that... but click on the user policy on the freedom site and guess what it gives you... same as for cable broadband :shrug:

Stu038
03-09-2004, 13:18

I would have though the oppositte, surely ntl are having to pay the third party for the bandwidth being used, which I would have thought to be more expensive than useing the ntl backbone? :shrug:

peacedude2k4
03-09-2004, 17:16
Just a passing thought,

Would ntl not likely enforce some form of cap on users downloading in excess in busy networked areas such as middle manchester etc, and not as heavy in lighter areas?

Escapee
04-09-2004, 15:46
I would have though the oppositte, surely ntl are having to pay the third party for the bandwidth being used, which I would have thought to be more expensive than useing the ntl backbone? :shrug:

It's never been a backbone problem as far as I knew, most of the problems were local issues. I was involved early on with the cable modem implementation in South Wales, and upgrades were not even being discussed.
I think to be fair things took off with cable modems a lot better than some expected, including myself.

I guess it depends on the deal ntl have done, it could be fixed or variable bandwidth pricing.

Ramrod
04-09-2004, 17:17

I'm sure that wasn't on there when they first launched 'Freedom' ADSL, I wonder if they have since realised that download caps/"guidelines" are not a good thing?This is great! Anyone who is worried about the cap just has to take a screenshot and use it against ntl if they are ever contacted by ntl re. their downloads. Brilliant! :)