PDA

View Full Version : intermittent connection and 'hung' downloads

Soozy
01-09-2004, 15:58
Hi, ive had this problem for a couple o months now, i've telephoned ntl 4 times and they tell me there isnt a problem, whenever i surf or play an online game or be downloading something, my connection seems to hang for a couple of seconds sometimes as long as 30 seconds, but because this problem is unreproducable i cant prove to ntl that there is one.
As ya know they just tell me to ping the bbc and tell me everything is fine, well it isnt, and i'm not sure if its me or them, ive tried uninstalling the firewall updating ethernet driver, and everything else i can think of to remedy it, i've searched for virus and such with NA 2003, trend micro, ewido, adaware and spybot search & destroy......

I'm at my wits end :(
Any advice ?? thanq........

tomcooper
01-09-2004, 18:01
i have a similar issue

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=15544

DrAwesome
01-09-2004, 19:20
Hi, ive had this problem for a couple o months now, i've telephoned ntl 4 times and they tell me there isnt a problem, whenever i surf or play an online game or be downloading something, my connection seems to hang for a couple of seconds sometimes as long as 30 seconds, but because this problem is unreproducable i cant prove to ntl that there is one.
As ya know they just tell me to ping the bbc and tell me everything is fine, well it isnt, and i'm not sure if its me or them, ive tried uninstalling the firewall updating ethernet driver, and everything else i can think of to remedy it, i've searched for virus and such with NA 2003, trend micro, ewido, adaware and spybot search & destroy......

I'm at my wits end :(
Any advice ?? thanq........
i have a similar issue

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=15544
Hi Soozy & Tomcooper
Dont know whether this will cure the problem...
When you surf/download etc.. & the problem presents itself have you tried changing & trying different transparent NTL Proxy Caches?

paulyoung666
01-09-2004, 19:40
your not using all your upload bandwidth are you , that will kill your downloads :disturbd: , :welcome: to the site btw , hope you enjoy your stay :)

DrAwesome
01-09-2004, 19:50
Also check you havent set any utils such as NA 2003 to grab any updates automatically. these can cause a slight delay as they are working.

Adding an Alternative NTL Proxy

If your using I.E, launch your browser, goto Tools/internet options/connections/lan settings/
check/tick proxy server & enter alternative addr & port 8080
click ok & close your browser & then launch it again.

or without launching I.E

click on Start button
goto my computer/control panel/internet options/connections/lan settings/check/tick proxy server & enter alternative addr & port 8080 then launch you I.E browser

Soozy
01-09-2004, 23:33
yes it is the same kinda problem as tomcooper,

And DrAwsome "the problem presents itself have you tried changing & trying different transparent NTL Proxy Caches?" <------- whats this all about :S

DrAwesome
02-09-2004, 13:10
And DrAwsome "the problem presents itself have you tried changing & trying different transparent NTL Proxy Caches?" <------- whats this all about :S

Check your pm's :)

tomcooper
02-09-2004, 21:52
when playing bf1942 the timeout for loss of connection is very short so it disconnects you when loss occurs for only 4 or 5 seconds

DrAwesome
03-09-2004, 02:03
when playing bf1942 the timeout for loss of connection is very short so it disconnects you when loss occurs for only 4 or 5 seconds

what are you using to play bf1942?

tomcooper
03-09-2004, 13:11
what are you using to play bf1942?

mouse and keyboard and a joystick for flying