PDA

View Full Version : motivesb causes error

Pdman
30-08-2004, 19:33
Hi, first post so I hope you can help me.

When I shut down my computer I get the following error message:
"motivesb has caused an error in kernal32.dll and will close".
I see from other threads that motivesb is part of Broadband Medic. Can anyone suggest a remedy, should I be worried?

Thanks in advance.
Pdman

Chris W
30-08-2004, 20:47
:welcome:

Which version of windows do you have installed?

And also do you use any firewall or antivirus software? if so which one(s)?

Reddevil63
31-08-2004, 00:06
Same thing happening and un-installed it!

Was running perfectly up to Saturday and then started showing this error on shutting down my PC.

Wonder if its anything to do with this:

In order to further improve our service to our customers we will be carrying out work on our systems between 8pm Friday 27th August and Wednesday 1st September.

This means that during that period you will be unable to make changes to your Internet service. However you will still be able to send and receive emails, surf the web and upload to your webspace.

If you need to change your service, such as add an additional email address, please make sure you do this before the 27th August or after 1st Sept. You can find Member services under "Your Account" at www.ntlworld.com

During this upgrade our Internet support centres will have limited access to their computer systems. We will restore full service on the afternoon of 1st September.

This upgrade project continues until the end of 2004, and means two further instances when service will be restricted. We will let you know in advance when this will happen.

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience these works may cause.

Chris W
31-08-2004, 00:17
I have a feeling that a few people might have this problem... i am trying to collect as many examples as possible at the moment... so anyone that has the same issue, please let me know:

1. the area you are living in
2. Which version of windows you are using
3. Whether you have firewall/ AV software installed, and if so which.

Reddevil63
31-08-2004, 01:05
1. Swindon
2. Windows ME
3. Router with built-in firewall and Norton Anti-Virus 2003

Pdman
31-08-2004, 19:08
1. Letchworth
2. Windows ME
3. AVG anti-virus & ZoneAlarm firewall

Luminance
01-09-2004, 12:13
Same problem for me, it started this weekend

1.Lewisham
2.W98SE
3.AVG anti Virus - Zone Alarm firewall

Uninstalled Medic and all is fine.... Before I discovered it was part of the BB Medic software, I Googled for the problem and many of the sites suggested that Motivesb is somesort of spyware, anyone have any comments?

Andy

Chris W
01-09-2004, 12:16
If you use the chat feature of broadband medic, the advisor can check your ntlworld settings remotely... if you think this amounts to spyware then i guess it is... but most would consider this a useful feature of the software rather than a problem.

Luminance
03-09-2004, 12:49
<<If you use the chat feature of broadband medic, the advisor can check your ntlworld settings remotely... >>

Aah! so that's what it does.
Andy

Pdman
06-09-2004, 19:14
Problem has gone away! Can anybody tell me why?